Maryland-Baltimore

Dress Salons: Brutal Honesty!

Ok, Knotties, I need the cold, hard truth.  I'm reaching my deadline for buying my dress (ceremony in early June) and it's time to make a decision.  My bridesmaids are coming in this weekend to help me shop and I'd like to maximize the time I have with them.  My budget is...well, as cheap as possible.  (My fiance and I are paying.)  My max is $1000, but even that's stretching it, and I'm finding that's really low compared to other brides.  I've been to David's Bridal 3 times, and while I've found some dresses I like, nothing has made me say "yes!" yet.  I've also been to Alfred Angelo and seen one dress I could live with, but even it was a bit expensive.  I just don't think I can make a decision until I've seen other options.  I'd like to take my maids to DB (to show them my faves, since they haven't seen them in person yet) and maybe two other stores.  What would you recommend?  I'm thinking about Betsy Robinson, since it seems to be the creme de la creme around here, but will they laugh at my budget?  I'm also considering Gamberdella and Niko, but I'm open to suggestions.  (I'd like to stay as close to the city as possible, though, since we've only got one day to do this.)  Be brutal: what kinds of prices will I see, and what stores are just not worth my time with my budget?  (If you bought your dress locally, feel free to tell me how much it cost, if you're comfortable!)  THANK YOU!

Re: Dress Salons: Brutal Honesty!

• edited December 2011
    I got mine at alfred angelo. A lot of the girls on here seem to have bad experiences with them though. I had a great one. So if u decide to go back i would consider seeing if Samantha is working. She is who both i and another knottie on here dealt with and we both loved her. There are 2 places on belair road. One is Isabella's. My cousin went there for her alterations and loved the woman. The other i have heard good and bad about.That is Francesca's. It is right off the beltway on belair. There is also Juliet's but that is over in the parkville area. Stella's is in the city on eastern ave which could also be an option. Good luck!
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • edited December 2011
    I purchased my dress at Betsy Robinson's.  They actually have a wide price range, and you won't have a problem finding a large selection of dresses in your budget.  One of my favorite things about shopping there was the flexibility to walk through and pull dresses myself.

One other comment - keep in mind that alterations are an additional cost and can add up.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • lrandall325lrandall325 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I ordered my dress at Francesca's and had a GREAT experience with a woman named Peggy.  You could definitely find dresses there in your budget.  Keep in mind it is good to have an appointment so you get undivided attention.  Also, the first place I went and looked at dresses was Stella's.  They are so nice there and they have great prices, plenty under $1000!  Good luck :)

• edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Betsy's, and my budget was $1500.  They group dresses in rooms by budget, and I definitely saw $1k dresses in there.  There were also several really gorgeous sample gowns in there for less than that, but those you have to go with whatever size they've got.

Alterations and accessories are something else to consider, but my alterations (also at BR) were less than $100 for getting cups sewn in, having the bust taken in, and a one-point bustle - I didn't need to have it hemmed, though.  Hemming gets pricey and more points in a bustle gets more expensive.  My accessories all came from Etsy, and shoes from DSW, and it was less than $200 total.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I had a wonderful experience with Jean at Bridals by Niko! If you go there, make sure you specifically ask for her.  I am torn between 2 dresses and have not yet made my purchase.

I am a  Maggie Sottero and Sottero & Midgely fan and both of the lines have dresses to fit every budget and body type.  From the Maggie Sottero website, I found an online retailer (the retailer also has an actual store in Michigan) that is authorized to sell their gowns.  The website has been extremely helpful in gauging prices for their dresses and other designers.  Please note that each salon is allowed to set their own prices but the gowns I priced on the website were about $70 cheaper than the price at Niko's.  Here is the website: http://www.weddingshoppeinc.com

The website is great and especially helpful because you can narrow your choices down by designer and sort by price.  As one of the other posters noted, you need to factor in alterations. 

The dress I am totally in love with, Dakota (without the jacket), by Maggie Sottero is listed for $829 on the website and Niko's is offering it for $899.  (just for comparison).

If there are dresses you are interested in seeing, you should ask the salon you choose if they have it in stock to try on.  That will also give them idea of what style you like.

Don't despair! There are plenty of dresses in your budget.  You do not have to break the bank to be beautiful on your wedding day and you certainly do not have to settle!

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • edited December 2011
    I got mine at Columbia Bridal Boutique.  I didn't want to go above $800 before alterations. I actually got mine on clearance for much less than my budget and I LOVE it. They have a fair selection of gowns - several different styles.  Just let them know your budget upfront because they have a very large range. 
  • jflaniganjflanigan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Juliet's in Parkville can definitely work with a budget of under $1,000. That was my budget too and they picked out several gowns that fit in my price range. And I was limited even more because I only wanted to see sample I could actually try on and I'm a bigger size so they were limited.

If you go to Juliet's, try to work with Judy. She is really sweet and helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

If you don't mind buying a sample, you could head to Jacqueline's in Parkville.  I am a BM in my friend's wedding and she got her dress, as well as our's there.  They are closing at the end of October, so all of their samples are on sale.

DLD

Follow Me on Pinterest

• edited December 2011
    I've had a great experience with Alfred Angelo so far. I picked up my dress on Saturday. It still needs to be altered. It was under $600 and I think its beautiful. You can see a pic if you click the "Aug Blog" link in my siggy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Dresses at Betsey Robinson start at $700:) They also have really great trunk shows so keep and eye out for those...I got a Watters dress for about half of what we expected to pay. I really can't say enough good things about the staff and selection there!!
  • edited December 2011
    As everyone else has pretty much said keep in mind you need to include alterations in your budget. A great person for alterations is Sheryl Kelm. She is highly recommended on our board by former knotties. I met with her at the beginning of this month and she is just wonderful. I am paying 120 for my alterations which includes the bust and sides being taken in, a tradional 6 pt bussel, adding boning to the sides of my dress(its strapless and should help hold it up better), and she is also darting my strapless bra so that it fits better. Then she is also going to be making my bridemaids dresses for about 150. She is replicating a bari jay dress that i just love but is more then my girls can afford to buy from the stores as it is 200+. If you are interested in contacting her let me know and i can give you her contact info!
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • edited December 2011
    I personally got my dress during a trunk sale at Bridals by Elena in Severna Park. It's an Essence of Australia gown and I of course absolutely love it or I wouldn't have bought it! The service there is pretty great but in comparing alteration prices and dress prices at other stores I think they charge you a little more for the service they provide.

My sister hired Amanda Ritchey of Amanda Ritchey Bridal and Beauty to do her makeup for her wedding and she is an absolute doll. She is having a huge blowout sale Sunday, Oct. 10. She will have more than 50 gowns priced between $99 and $199. You should definitely check it out!

Here's her Web site:
    http://www.mandimakeup.com/
  • jenwen32jenwen32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my gown at Betsy Robinson.  I lucked out and found a beautiful gown for around $1000, but I felt that most of their gowns were a little much for a summer wedding (heavy fabric, lots of detail, beading, etc.).  As far as prices, they have many under the $1000 mark, so you should be fine finding something in your budget.

If it helps, I also found a few gowns I liked at David's, but the quality was not as good as other (more expensive) gowns---obviously.  That, and the fact that I HATE having to even step foot in that place because everyone brings their obnoxious children with them and I just don't find that appropriate.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks to everyone for all the advice!  You guys are great.  I've got an appointment at Betsy Robinson and I'll pick one more from the places you've recommended.  I'll let you know how it goes.  You guys rock! 
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Betsy Robinson and they can definitely work with your budget. I happened to go in a couple days after one of their big sales and walked out with a $3000 designer gown for $400 (granted it needs beadwork tightened and brought in a size and a half). The ladies there are very friendly and helpful to everyone so I'd highly recommend a visit. 
    Gamberdella's is very nice too! They have dresses from $500 to $10,000 but most of them are around $2000-$3000.  I visited them 3 times to try on gowns and they were just as helpful and enthusiastic each time--and there are plenty of various designs to try on that fall around $1000. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    K&B Bridal in Bel Air!! Everything is under $1000, mine was only $600.. the shop is a bit small but they have a decent selection and some harder to find designers.  Im getting my BM dreses there too 10% discounts if you have 5 or more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I found my gorgeous dress at Poor Little Rich Girl in Perry Hall (Belair Road and Joppa Road)...Small shop, very personable service and a price tag of under $600. .

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards