Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Reception Venue - Baltimore Waterfront Marriott

Anybody have a reception there? If so, what did you think?

Re: Reception Venue - Baltimore Waterfront Marriott

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there something specific you want to know?
    I'm not having my wedding there, but I did look into it during my venue search. In my opinion, the prices were very high compared to other venues around the harbor. But, I never met with anyone to know how accommodating they are in adjusting the packages/budget.
    My parents went to a wedding for 500 there - they said it was good, not amazing, but then again, it was a wedding for 500, so I imagine it's hard to get too elaborate after you've paid for 500 dinners.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked into it as well, but it was also a bit expensive and so we never met with them.  I don't know if they have any harbor views from the ballrooms or not, but I've heard they don't-- could be wrong!  If you are looking for something with a view of the harbor, the Harbor Court Intercontinental (also a little pricey) and Pisces at the Hyatt have great views.  We are getting married at te Tremont, which isn't on the water, and some of the packages are similar in price to the WM.... but they've been very good about working with our budget so you can't judge a book by it's cover!  It doesn't hurt to meet with people and ask about how much they will or will not work with you. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    JulieA99JulieA99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vanvisa -Nothing specific, I never thought how overwheming this is sometimes.  I agree its expensive but we are meeting them this weekend. Never been there and they make it seem so great. Plus going to check out the Hyatt too!

SweetCFly -   I've also been told to see the 1840's Ballroom & Tremont (who did you see there?)  Never hurts to negoiate, right?

Thanks ladies
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No it definitely does not hurt to negotiate!  That is how we got our customized package :)  And honestly... most places WILL do that for you, which is awesome.  We never went to see 1840's.  I actually heard it was going bankrupt and didn't want to deal with that in planning my wedding.  I'm not sure if that was actually the case or not, but it wasn't really on our short list (I think it might have been a little too small for us, anyways).  How many people are you having?

At the Tremont, we initially worked with Deliah.  She was the one who "sealed the deal" with us- took us on our initial tours, helped us create our contract, etc.  She's so wonderful!  Now we're working with Lauren, who is our wedding coordinator, and Lauren is equally as wonderful.  We've been so happy with everyone there, and never get less than five-star treatment.  It's definitely a stretch on our pockets a little bit, but totally worth it IMO.  All my vendors who have worked in the past with the Tremont have said great things about them, as well.  I'm excited!
  • Options
    ruffian99ruffian99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Julie! I just read this post and also your other one. For 250 you are pretty limited. The Tremont is definitely too small. The hotels can fit you. Other options are the Visionary (AVAM) or the Museum of Industry (BMI). Mine is at the BMI this spring. I love that it is on the water and nontraditional. Both AVAM and the BMI require you to bring in a caterer. We are using Chef's Expressions and are very happy with them so far (just had the tasting, yum!). If I were you, I would focus on venue and caterer for now and then worry about the other stuff after that. It looks like you have a winter wedding date so you shouldn't have a problem with availability! And that is a GREAT bargaining chip--and everyone bargains!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coming over from TN...we had our wedding there 2.5 years ago.  It was amazing, simply amazing.  All of our guests raved to my parents and ILs about it.  We had about 130 people so we were able to use the Waterfront Ballroom...meaning we had an outdoor patio with water views.  I am quite the tough critic and they exceeded my expectations with everything.  The food was so good, the coordination of the day excellent...I could go on and on.  Let me know if you have particular questions...I very rarely come over here, so if you need to page me, do it on TN. 

We checked out the Intercontinental and weren't that pleased with the decor of the rooms and the food menus, but an old co-worker had his wedding there.  We also checked out the Hyatt and I was really disappointed with the service and response of the coordinators from the get-go.  But maybe they have new people there now?  Also the ballrooms we checked out were all internal rooms with no windows vs. the ballroom we had at the Marriott.  I think they were still in the midst of doing some remodeling too.  I know the upper level ballrooms at the Marriott are also internal facing, but they have the windows and water views (full length) for cocktail hour, etc.  We have also had several work events at the larger ballrooms and no complaints again. 
    ~ Mark & Chrissy ~ June 9, 2007 image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes Julie- the Tremont will defintiely be too small if you're having 250 :(  They initially told us 220 was our max capacity, but now they're saying 200... so I'm a little peeved about that but cutting the guest list is the best way to cut costs so I guess it's a blessing in disguise. 

Ruffian- my very best friend is getting married at the BMI this June!  We're defintiely enjoying planning our weddings (which are less than a month apart) together.  I'm dying to see the BMI in person, she says so many good things about it.  They're using Chef's Expressions, too! 
  • Options
    JulieA99JulieA99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chrissy - What is TN?  Was the cocktail hour on the same floor as the recption?
    Ruffian99- Tremont can't hold 250.....thanks!
    SweetCFly- 1840"s ballroom bankupt?

I agree with getting the venue first and doing everything else once that is decided.

Thanks again ladies!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh sorry, TN = the Nest, where you "go" after you're married:

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/3230658/ShowForum.aspx

I also have a ton of photos if you want to see them...so you can get an idea. 

The Waterfront Ballroom is on the first floor, and the cocktail hour is on the outdoor patio and in this open area next to the ballroom.  The capacity for that room is 150 though I think.

For the ballrooms on the other levels, the cocktail hour is on the same floor as the ballroom...in another open area with the water views and the floor to ceiling windows...I may have some pics from there too from work events, not sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I came back and saw that you're having a wedding for 250 in December. I obviously can't really review them until October, but my wedding will also be around 250 and will be at the Renaissance. Everyone I've talked to there so far has been great and their packages seem to start lower than what I saw at the Marriot and Hyatt, but appear to include as much stuff. Their main ballrooms are all interior, but they have one smaller waterfront ballroom that's beautiful which we're using for our cocktail hour.
    Other places that I looked (other than hotels) that could fit 250 were Camden Yards and the Hippodrome. Camden Yards was reasonably priced with a gorgeous view of the ballpark, but the ceiling was kind of low. The American Visionary Art museum was beautiful too, but that and the Hippodrome had somewhat expensive site rental fees. Someone else mentioned the Intercontinental, which actually had gorgeous views in their ballroom (why do all these places have prime waterfront locations and all interior ballrooms?) but for 250, the ballroom is laid out so that guests are kind of separated from each other by doorways.
    Sorry this is kind of long, but let me know if you want more details on anything. I did *a lot* of research on harbor area venues for a large wedding, so I'm just glad all that work might help someone.
  • Options
    MereFM99MereFM99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Pisces at the Hyatt and it was amazing in every way, I still get speechless when people ask about our wedding.  My full review is in my bio, however if you're looking for a place with a view then Pisces won't work for you due to size restrictions.
  • Options
    JulieA99JulieA99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's official, The Waterfront it is, we are having it at the Waterfront Ballroom with the cocktail hour in the foyer.  Christina wa very helpful in planning out the seating and flower arrangements.  Now time to start eveything else!!!

Chrissyp - I couldn't see the photos on the nest, but I can imagine they are great!!

• Options
    meghankmcgillmeghankmcgill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking for affordable waterfront locations for my July 2011 wedding for around 150 people.  Any recommendations on the Renaissance or Marriott or others?  I want to find a place that does everything for you, without too many additional fees.

Would Pisces at the Hyatt or the Waterfront Ballroom at the Renaissance hold 150 from your experiences? 

Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Julie that's great news!  If you list your e-mail I'll send you the link to my photos...or just e-mail me at chrissyp18 at gmail dot com.  We really did love it there...that ballroom is awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meghan-
    I think that Pisces at the Hyatt and Watertable at the Renaissance would both be able to fit 150. My chart for the Renaissance says 150-180 for the Watertable, so it might be a little tight. Some other suggestions that haven't been mentioned here yet are the Pier V hotel (the ballroom opens onto a patio that's pretty much right on the water) or if you're okay with outdoors, there's a tent behind the Aquarium that they rent out.
  • Options
    meghankmcgillmeghankmcgill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I'm actually checking out Pier 5 tomorrow and am excited to see the views.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards