Maryland-Baltimore

Paying for parking for wedding guest?

Should we pay for our wedding guest to park?

We are getting married at pier 5 and we can pay for our guests' parking at pier 5's lot at $14 a vehicle.  Predicting who would drive - if all 125 guest show up, we are looking at  50-60 vehicles.  Which would be $700-$840.  If our wedding guest pay, i believe, it would be $20.00 per vehicle.  There is a garage right across from the lot, i haven't checked out the prices yet.  Also there is a lot across from that (at the end of little italy), I always park there when I go to the Inner Harbor and it's eight dollars.  It would be $10.00 tops per vehicle for a Friday evening and it's right across the street from pier 5..  We are paying for most of the wedding ourselves and we did not consider this in our budget.

FI thinks that we should just pay but I really don't want to pay almost a grand for parking and we really don't have it.  I am trying to think of this from all angles - if i was a guest, I would appreciate if the parking was paid for but wouldn't expect it.  I wouldn't be upset about it.  I know it would be easier for me to pay $10-20 for parking than the bride and groom paying $800. - but that's just me.

So what is everyones take? Would you pay that much for parking?  Would you be upset if you had to pay to park?

Re: Paying for parking for wedding guest?

• MereFM99MereFM99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't pay for parking for our guests, it was too expensive.  Instead we arranged (through our event coordinator at the Hyatt) a discounted rate at the garage connected to the Hyatt, it was $10 per car, and we just made sure that the parking information and cost was very clear on our wedding website (which we included on an invitation insert), and included it again on our programs.  I don't think that it deterred anyone from coming- if you can afford it go for it, if not just make sure they're informed and don't worry about it!
  • edited December 2011
    I have been to weddings where they couple paid for parking for everyone and where we had to pay for our own parking.  It was nice when it was already paid, but in the instances where we had to pay, it wasn't a big deal because they let us know about it beforehand.  If you can't afford it, just try to find out what the cheapest parking option would be, and also the closest option, and include that information on the same card where you put hotel/direction info when you mail your invitations.  I would also include it on your website, if you have one.
  • ajerome21ajerome21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!  I was going to include it on our website and direction card.  If I had it, I would love to pay it but it's too expensive for us.  I am going to see if they could still give our guest the discount even though we are not paying for them.

merefm - did you sell your votive candle holders yet? 
  • MereFM99MereFM99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did, I'm meeting someone tomorrow to unload them, but if it falls through I'll let you know!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok. thanks. that was a good deal! :)
  • edited December 2011
    We are in the same pickle... Parking is expenSive at the Tremont.  $24/vehicle; we would only pay per vehicle.  With > 200 guests, no way can I afford that.  But there is a PMI (or public lot by another company) less than a block down the street, and it is $5 on weekends.  We can pay per guest for this, and they will be provided vouchers by the Tremont that they take to the parking attendand in the garage.  That might be what you'll be able to do is have Pier 5 offer guests a voucher if they park int he Little Italy garage.  But I know for the Tremont you have to chose one option or the other, so whatever option you choose (and even if you choose not to pay at all), make sure you provide your guests with information on the garages to park in and the rates (if applicable). 

I think it's totally fine to expect guests to pay for their own parking... weddings are expensive enough for the bride and groom and their family(ies).  But my mom is 100% opposed to allowing guests to pay.  I'm hoping I can change her mind, because I know she will expect FI and I to pay for it, and we're maxed out as it is on our budget for what we'll be able to pay for with this wedding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]But my mom is 100% opposed to allowing guests to pay.  I'm hoping I can change her mind, because I know she will expect FI and I to pay for it, and we're maxed out as it is on our budget for what we'll be able to pay for with this wedding. 
    Posted by SweetCFly[/QUOTE]

I ran into that too, with my mom and grandmother coming up with all these ideas of things we should have or do at the wedding; I basically told her that we didn't have any extra money to put towards what we considered non-essential wedding items, but she was welcome to pay for it.   That usually got her to be quiet.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sweet - Wow, I thought I had it bad with parking prices.  You have 200 guest and most come in two.  So the max for vehicles would be about 100 and at 24 dollars per car - WOW!! 

I would talk to you mother.  Let her know that you are maxed out as it is and that parking for 80-100 vehicles would be $2000-$2400.  Mothers are always going to have ideas/suggestions/etc., but in my opinion, if she is not footing the bill for parking she really can't "oppose" it.  It is your money and she can't "expect" you guys to pay for something that she "opposes" when you guys don't even feel that way.  Just talk to her and lay it on the table, it may change her mind but it may not.  She may even offer to pay.  You can consider her ideas and suggestions but at the end of the day you should make the choice that you want to make, not a choice to please someone else. 
    You are young, in school and about to get married... I am sure that saving two grand will be more useful to you guys than using it on a parking tab.  She may realize this. 
  • edited December 2011
    My DH and I had the same issue, we had the reception at the Intercontinental Harbor Court. We worked with our hotel coordinator on discounted parking rates. I would certainly post all available parking information on your website, any heads up for the guests is always helpful. But in reality, people should realize that if they are going to a wedding in Baltimore, let alone any major city, that parking will be at least $20.00 or more.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm late on this, but I agree with pps that as a guest if my parking was paid for, I'd definitely be pleased, but I wouldn't expect it.

The one thing I would recommend is letting your guests know either way. The last wedding I went to was in DC and the invite had no info on parking options or the cost. My mom ended up having to call the MOG to ask (my aunt). If I have to pay for parking, no problem - but give me a heads up on where and how much!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • edited December 2011
    Haha thanks girls for the mom advice... My aunts have been really supportive in helping plan the wedding and budget, and when FI and I shared how much we were putting towards the wedding (on one salary basicaly since I don't graduate for 16 more days and won't be able to take boards/work until February), they were floored.  My mom is just disgruntled and extra emo because she had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago.  I have an extra hormonal momzilla on my hands!

But yeah no way will we put an extra 2k down for parking.  I;m glad to hear other knotties aren't and that people say it's acceptable not to.  I ought to show this thread to my mom (well parts of it lol!).  Our hotel rooms for guests at the Tremont are only $109/night @ the group rate, which is some of the lowest I've seen... so I think that will help! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you ladies. yes, i feel alot better knowing that others did not pay for parking.  i will post the information on my website and on the information/directions card.  There will be  three parking options and may try to find one more and will def include all the information.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards