Kentucky

Typical Kentucky Weather in October...

Hey ladies,We are getting ready to confirm a venue for October 16, 2010. We wanted to get married earlier in the month but the Equestrian Games have squashed all of that with hotels being sold out, flights, etc. My question is.... does anyone think its a gamble on weather  for mid-October? We are hosting a tent wedding at a historic property. I plan on giving pashminas as my attendant's gift just in case the weather is cooler. A gamble? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Re: Typical Kentucky Weather in October...

• edited December 2011
    I think you should be just fine...our seasons seem to be shifting, with only light frost developing in November/December and winter hitting in January/Feb.Good call on the pashminas.  Some people are cold-natured no matter what the season. I had a semi-outdoor reception in May and I worried about it being entirely too hot.  I was pleasantly surprised.
  • BNH2010BNH2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try this link:http://tinyurl.com/yad3humIt will give you typical temps/rainfall amounts for you zip code!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should be fine with the tent, provided that it has sidewalls.  I would ask them if heaters are available, should it be particularly cold, but ensure that can be a last minute decision.  And, really, you wouldn't need many to take the chill off.  I feel your pain with the Games. . . we had to move ours because of the Rolex.  Things weren't sold out, but they were 3x more expensive.  What part of Kentucky will your wedding be in?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Maggie MorrisMaggie Morris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your responses, ladies! I had thought about heater renatls just this morning and was going to get the priced out to set aside for the "just in case"/"last minute" fund. We are planning to marry in Garrard County, where we reside. The Bodley-Bullock House in Lexington was at the top of my list for venues but the cut off for your guest list 150-160 and there is no way we are going to be able to go under 200.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married in late Oct. and it was in the mid to upper 70's that weekend.  So NOT what we planned...but it was beautiful!For the past few years I have had friends get married in Oct. too and every single one has been BEAUTIFUL!  One had some overcast and rain in the am...but NONE have really been cold...cool yes.  So I think it would be WAY worth the gamble.
  • Tmj2010Tmj2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at a historic home in Louisville Oct.2, 2010.  I'm definitely planning on doing the pashmina and heater thing, just in case it gets chilly at night.  I agree, it won't take many heaters in a tent.  Especially with people dancing!  But one thing I have started to worry about.  I was planning on having my BMs in short dresses, since it's a pretty casual wedding.  Think I will be freezing their poor legs?
  • Maggie MorrisMaggie Morris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    to above -- No, I think your BMs will be fine.Just an update to you ladies... Since we don't want to gamble with the weather (and it's been scarily chilly recently), we are moving the wedding to September 18! Our venue is still available that day and we are just checking on a few other elements before putting down the deposits. Ye!
  • millieandsheamillieandshea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking at the end of October and now I'm so worried with this weather we're having now!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing our wedding Labor Day weekend in Meade County (Brandenburg) and I'm more worried about the heat, potential for rain. I want to have a tent as a back-up plan for rain, but if it's blazing hot feel bad having everyone gather in there for an early afternoon reception. But I can't bear the thought of not having it at my chosen venue, the Doe Run Inn. I grew up going there and absolutely love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards