Kentucky

KY liquor laws.

Im getting married in may of next year and my fiance and I are looking for wedding and reception venues on a budget. The only requirement my fiance has for the wedding and reception is an open bar, so I'm trying to find locations where that is possible but since most of my family lives in a dry county I'm trying to find out what the laws are so I can figure out where not to look so as to not waste my time. Any help would be fantastic because all I could find online was the laws pertaining to liquor stores and bars and such. Also any venue suggestions that are around lexington, richmond, danville etc. that are fairly cheap would be so helpful!

Re: KY liquor laws.

• PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little confused. Do you mean a location where you can bring in your own liquor? And define fairly cheap--what cost is too high?
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's going to vary depending on which town your reception ends up being in.  You would be able to have an open bar in Lexington and Richmond for sure, but the price will vary.  I'm not positive about Danville.  What town would you prefer for it to be in?  What style of reception do you want?  Formal or casual, indoor or outdoor, etc?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • emilybailey19emilybailey19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well... the location really just depends on where we can find that fits 150 people and can have an open bar. We are willing to bring in the alcohol if necessary, as long as it is allowed to be served. I would define fairly cheap as probably $1000 or under. I would as like to have a reception site that has a wedding venue available at the site or in the same general area since my fiance's family is from Ohio and are unfamiliar with the area, so i would like to have as little travel between the sites as possible.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also prefer an indoor site or an outdoor with a rain-out backup. It will probably be a semi-formal event... more likely on the casual side of formal.
    edited December 2011
    The Bell House in Lexington is really pretty & I've seen lovely wedding photos from there.  The garden out back makes for a really nice ceremony space.The Tates Creek Ballroom might also be a nice option for you.Both of these are owned by the city.  More info here:  [url]http://www.lexingtonky.gov/index.aspx?page=279[/url]Also, there are TONS of sites listed here:  [url]http://www.kevinmoreland.com/vendors/all-locations.html[/url].
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding and reception at Buffalo Trace Distillery.  There is the Capital Plaza hotel that is less than a mile away. You can bring your own booze and food.  Most of my family came down from Cincinnati and the drive is a quick hour-hour 30 mins.  You should definitely check them out!
  • edited December 2011
    Buffalo Trace is reeeeeeeeeally pretty too.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much. These places are amazing! My only question is, has anyone actually used the Tates Creek Ballroom? I would like some more information on it, such as do they allow alcohol, do they have chairs tables and other dining necessities available, do they have a kitchen on site, do they have a room that could be used for the bridal party to get ready in? All the website says is that basically the acoustics are good for a live band and it can fit up to 250 people. And does anyone know where I could find some pictures of it because again its not on the website.
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's a getting ready suite.  Not sure about the rest, though.  You should be able to call Fayette County Parks & Rec & get the info from them, though.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• dionysus_1dionysus_1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Face Book and check out Cave Hill Vineyard in Eubank KY. It's located in Northern Pulaski County, not far off Hwy 27. Their website is under construction right now, but they have some pictures on Face Book. Pulaski Co is dry also, but you bring own.
  • beckyb6beckyb6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if you are still looking or not, but I thought I would suggest Fasig-Tipton in Lexington. They have outdoor space and indoor space for either an outdoor or indoor wedding. They also allow for an open bar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards