Kentucky

Vendor Reviews: Castle, Hyatt, Jeff Eller, Lextown DJ, Towers Salon, Ana Crane, and others

Vendor reviews:  I'll try and keep these short.  Castle in Versailles (Castle Post): it was beautiful, but overpriced for the services I got. They waited till the afternoon of my wedding to smoke the birds out of the chimney in the room my evening ceremony was held in, so it smelled like smoke in there during the whole ceremony. Just not what you expect for the price.

Their staff was extremely helpful the day of but in the months leading up to my wedding, they were sometimes hard to get ahold of. I planned to have my reception there too, but it was 3 months before my wedding and they couldn't give me a definite price on the reception space, so I bailed on having my reception there.

The space is small and can't hold more than 80 guests FYI.
The coordinator there, Summer, is professional and helpful.
 Overall? An "A+" for an all around magnificent venue
         A  
"C" for service.  
 In the pink antiques and Florals: Alexandria rocks. She did beautiful arrangements for me for a reasonable price. She was kind and creative. She wasn't always as responsive as I'd like, but her mother is sick and she spends her days at the hopsital with her mom. As long as you understand that and give her extra time to respond, then she is excellent to work with. She went above and beyond. Highly recommend.
Overall: A
 Rev Jeff Eller - "A beautiful affair of the heart" He was great. I think it was expensive. Clergy services for $375 for a rehearsal, 15 minute ceremony, and filing the license is a rip off. But no premarital classes and no religious hassle made him the best option for us.  Definitely would recommend him.

Video: Bellablue. Haven't gotten the video back yet. But he wasn't in the way.

Hyatt: We held the reception in their regency ballroom. It rocked. Their coordinator Amanda was awesome. She was helpful and just really good at her job. Their food was expensive but good and plentiful. It also came with a $20 pp price for a premium bar. Not too bad of a deal. All the guests commented on the good food and bar. Definitely worth it. Plus, they dont charge you a price to use their space, just a food/drink minimum.  

Overall: A++

DJ- LEXTOWN DJs- I booked them because I was in an absolute frenzy to get a DJ. I planned my wedding in 6 months so I seriously couldn't find any of the "best Lexington DJs" that weren’t already booked. I was nervous about it because they were so cheap. WHAT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE! They were great. I was crazy specific about what I did and did not want, so they probably couldn't have screwed it up...but they did an awesome job and had good equipment.

Hair: Shawna at the Towers Salon. She came highly reccomended and lived up to it. Good at what she does and pleasant.

Makeup: Ana Crane So...I hired Ana Crane Simpson because I heard she was the best. So the day of my wedding, Ana doesn't come but sent her assistant instead.

I didn't like that because I was willing to pay Ana's ridiculous prices because I had heard such good things about HER talent. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially because her assistant was just as expensive.

Normally, I would have not accepted this...but I was already in a hurry and didn't want to fuss. My makeup looked great and was worth the money. Her assistant was professional and easy to work with. I liked her a lot.

...it's just. Maybe I am wrong about how things work, but when you book someone because of their talent then they should be there. Not their assistant. And if their assistant is coming, you should know that ahead of time and it should cost less. I was happy with the service but wouldn't feel right reviewing it and not letting you all know the whole story.

Overall: "A" for the look

"C" for that charging Ana's prices and not getting Ana.

BBJlinen: They sent the linens on time. The pinks on the chair covers and overlays didn't match. Kind of annoyed me but they weren’t distractingly obvious. Overall: B
REHEARSAL Dinner: Masterson Station Clubhouse- This is where we held the rehearsal dinner. We had such a good time and the space was perfect!

RD CATERER Jerry- don't know the real name of the business ( i think its circle bbq), but he catered for us. He did pulled pork, chicken tenders, and burgers. It was all DELICIOUS and he provided everything- plates, napkins, utensils, fixings, and drinks. It was $10 per person and I DEFINITELY recommend him if your event is casual. Since I don't know his business name for sure his number is 859-771-8364

Honeymoon: We haven't left for our honeymoon yet but will go to Secrets in Jamaica. I'll let you girls know how it goes

Hope this helps anyone looking for Lexington Vendors!

FYI- This may not be everyone, but I left many vendors out because they were done by vendors I had come to Lexington from my hometown.  

Re: Vendor Reviews: Castle, Hyatt, Jeff Eller, Lextown DJ, Towers Salon, Ana Crane, and others

• LEXbrideyLEXbridey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about line breaks in the first couple of paragraphs.

Just to clarify because the breaks are confusing...the grade is below the vendor.
  • thehossbridethehossbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You get a FAIL for killing those poor birds.  It would have been hilarious had your dress gotten pooped on!
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad that your day went well!  So strange about Ana sending her assistant and not letting you know ahead of time.  Was there a reason given for that?  Also great to hear about the good DJ.  I feel like a DJ is hard to find, so it's great to hear more info about a DJ that's great. 

And hossbride, I don't know who you are, but please no snarkiness.  Your comment was uncalled for.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    was it called for to kill innocent animals for the sake of a 10 minute ceremony?
  • edited December 2011
    She never said that they were killed. Just smoked out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hossbride-  First, I didn't have the birds killed. The birds were smoked out of the space. I didn't even ask to have them smoked. The venue employees were doing it before I arrived because it is part of their services to have the ballroom "ceremony ready."  My problem is that they should have known to take care of this ahead of time. Instead, it smelled like smoke during our wedding. Obviously, you weren't reading the vendor reviews for the right reasons. If you had, you might have some relevant comment or questions about vendor services instead of "It would be funny if your dress had gotten pooped on." If you don't care about vendor services, then do us all a favor and don't read vendor reviews. 

Second, if you want to be nasty then local boards really aren't the place for that. Go over to Snarky Brides or just anywhere that is more suited for you to spread your venom. I am sure you can get a few nasty comments in here and there and really brighten your sad little day. So okay...bye.

AustinAndStella- Thanks. Lextown Djs were really great and easy to work with. I couldn't believe it for the price. As far as Ana goes...yeah. I didnt get an explanation or anything. Like I said though, her assistant was great and the makeup she did for us was beautiful. However, I am not from Lexington so when I was looking around for a makeup artist everyone said "Ana is the best.' So when she told me her prices, I thought they were high...but I just told myself it was justified because she was "the best"  I guess I will never know. lol ....Oh well! my day was great anyhow.

• edited December 2011
    Yea, I have been amazed at how much the most suggested makeup artists cost. I am still not sure who I am going to go with, but that certainly makes me reconsider using her.  I was also wondering how much the Dj's costed. I am trying to look into some to see if I can get them to fit into my budget, but most of the prices I've seen are just too high for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is there a board for snarky brides?  how fun!  FYI, a friend of mine used Leigh-ann Mims for makeup.  she did an outstanding job!  price was reasonable as well.
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_vendor-reviews-castle-hyatt-jeff-eller-lextown-dj-towers-salon-ana-crane-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:86Discussion:2b6f2d15-2a59-446d-b30e-f4ba4b5c2574Post:03292b49-128d-4d2a-824f-6c6e00adeee6">Re: Vendor Reviews: Castle, Hyatt, Jeff Eller, Lextown DJ, Towers Salon, Ana Crane, and others</a>:
    [QUOTE]is there a board for snarky brides?  how fun!  FYI, a friend of mine used Leigh-ann Mims for makeup.  she did an outstanding job!  price was reasonable as well.
    Posted by thehossbride[/QUOTE]

In fact, there is.  <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides">ttp://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides</a>  However, several of the international boards are rather snarky by nature. 

I get not being cool with somebody hurting animals for their wedding day, and I could even get on board with some snark over here HAD THAT HAPPENED.  Next time, maybe ASK what went on with the birds before you start wishing ill will on somebody. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your reviews. One question, which dj did you have from lextown?They have two listed on their website so i just wondered. Thanks
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_vendor-reviews-castle-hyatt-jeff-eller-lextown-dj-towers-salon-ana-crane-others?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:86Discussion:2b6f2d15-2a59-446d-b30e-f4ba4b5c2574Post:a8198c50-9bbc-4e62-a5f4-dae964df2d8a">Re: Vendor Reviews: Castle, Hyatt, Jeff Eller, Lextown DJ, Towers Salon, Ana Crane, and others</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much for your reviews. One question, which dj did you have from lextown?They have two listed on their website so i just wondered. Thanks
    Posted by violetgrewe[/QUOTE]

Patrick and Nick work together, so they both come to the events. I think I worked with Patrick more though on the preparations. He may be the more business side of dealing with brides. Good luck!
  • ambi083ambi083 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alot of the ladies that do makeup in the mall, or even hair at salons are educated in doing makeup.  Try walking through the makeup section and asking around and you may be able to get a great deal that way.  And they can show you what they can do up front.
    Ready to get married on our 5th (dating) year anniversary!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards