Kentucky

Can we do this?

My fiance and I came home yesterday to realize we had been robbed while we were at work.  After dealing with the police and everything else, we went online and changed our registries to include items that were stolen.  We thought it was a great idea, but we started getting flack from other people about how inappropriate it is to change our registry so close to the wedding--we are getting married in July.

We didn't really take anything off, just added on, so I don't see what the big deal is.  Should we take off those extra items or can we leave it the way it is?

Re: Can we do this?

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's fine to add items.  But, I wouldn't add a lot, and I wouldn't add things if you still have a lot that is unpurchased.  It can look gift-grabby. 

I'm really sorry that happend to you all, though.  Do you have insurance?  If so, they should pay for the losses.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds fine to me.  You need the stuff and there's always people getting gifts last minute.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!  Sorry that this happened!  I think you're fine...you're still 3 months away, which is plenty of time to add things to your registry.  I do hope that your insurance will replace everything you lost and they catch the people who did it!
  • edited December 2011
    That's one of the reasons we are adding things to our registry. . .there's already a battle between the insurance company and our apartment complex.  We've asked several times to get our patio door fixed (it can be locked and sometimes we can still open it.)  The apartment says they came and fixed it, but our seven maintence requests say otherwise--including one that was still open.  Our insurance company is stating their insurance company is responsble since they never correctly fixed the door and of course the apartment complex is saying "no way."  We really didn't register for all that much to begin with, so we added everything to the registry and when/ if the insurance money kicks in we will just go get the things ourselves off the registry.

But sme people said that was rude because people have already looked at our registry and decided what to get us and it was inappropriate and rude to add more choices.  I think that's kind of stupid, but I just wanted to get an idea of what others thought.
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_can-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:86Discussion:2e68a658-8dd5-42ad-8f5d-a4a122b97824Post:9c46a185-1312-4677-acc4-4f22d953a5bd">Re: Can we do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But sme people said that was rude because people have already looked at our registry and decided what to get us and it was inappropriate and rude to add more choices.  I think that's kind of stupid, but I just wanted to get an idea of what others thought.
    Posted by kahkikae[/QUOTE]

Nope, those people are out of line and incorrect.  You can add or remove from a registry whenever you wish.  In fact, most people recommend that if you're about out of choices, that you add a few more before the wedding so people still have choices to pick between.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • jzilljzill member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is so silly for someone to tell you that you can't add to your own registry.  Its your registry and you can do what you want with it.  It isn't like you are forcing them to go buy a new present for you.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards