Ohio-Columbus
Options

Travel Agents?

Hey ladies. For those of you that have booked, or are in the process off booking your honeymoon, did you use a travel agent? If you did, which did you use? Reviews? Pros? Cons?

I haven't really started looking yet, but I know with the type of honeymoon I have in mind, I'm going to probably have to use one to help me coordinate everything.

Squeeze and Spanks! (Please and Thanks!)
I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

Re: Travel Agents?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I started out with a Travel Agent, then I figured out I could get what I want just by doing it myself.  I also found that the Travel Agents really try to push "their brands".  We ended up booking something on our own, and we saved about $3000 by doing that. I would highly suggest looking on your own even after you see a travel agent just to see if they are really giving you the best deal!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 323 Made the List!
    image 114 Are ready to Dance!
    image 12 Can't make it!
    image 197 Forgot how to use Snail Mail!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did not use a travel agent. I originally wanted to because we are going to three different cities in Italy and thought they could help us coordinate it all, but after doing a lot of research, we just did it ourselves.

Side note: we stared by using expedia to book our trip. It said we were saving $400 or so by booking through them. Then I went to the airline, and hotels official sites, and got better deals. I ended up getting a full package at one of the hotels and saving money compared to the expedia price! Though, expedia helped me sort things through. Just a thought to make sure you actually price through things if you are doing it yourself.
  • Options
    csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We started off searching on our own on Apple vacations and once we figured out which resorts we liked the best, we then got in contact with Angel at Island travel .  We had already determined the best price we could find on our own and using the agent didn't change that.  It was nice to have her input since she had been to the area several times.  It also took the stress out of making sure everything was booked, including transfers and excursions.
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    edited December 2011
    We are working with a travel agent right now. We originally wanted Costa Rica or Belize but don't think we can afford it. So far she has better prices than what we've seen published. 

Round trip airfare from Columbus, 6 nights at a 5 star all-inclusive resort for just under $3k for both of us.  We are considering Secrets of Excellence in Mayan Riviera, close to the ruins. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    edited December 2011
    Here is exactly what she just sent me:

I am starting with the least expensive room at each resort.   Each property has MANY rooms categories that go up in price. So best thing to do is decide on resort of choice and we can then research different room categories. Otherwise choices become overwhelming and confusing.

Each room at each resort again, is very similar main difference is decor.  Each has a jacuzzi tub and similar in size.

EXCELLENCE RIVIERA CANCUN
    10/24/2011 - 10/30/2011
    Room 1:Jr Suite Spa/Pool View-All Inc. Early Bk Sale  (6 nights)
    GRAND TOTAL :  $2,689    for Jr Oceanview $3149

SECRETS MAROMA BEACH
    10/24/2011 - 10/30/2011
    Room 1:Jr Suite Part Ocean Vw-All Incl Early Bk Sale  (6 nights)
    GRAND TOTAL :  $3,027   Jr Oceanview $3232

Both Include Round Trip Airfare to Cancun from Columbus Int'l and all taxes for air/resort.

Ground Transfers can be added in for $46 per person for round trip

Jennifer Lodge
    Travel Consultant Specializing in Honeymoons/Romantic Travel 
    Agent Direct Line  Toll Free (866) 526-3494 
    Unforgettable Honeymoons-
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Although it wasn't for my honeymoon I used Travel Leaders (the one off of Bethel) when I went with my mom and sister to Hawaii about a year ago.  We were all leaving from opposite cities and were island hopping.  That being said it was extremely helpful to have her book our flights, including between the islands, hotels on all four islands plus rental cars.  I think we only had to directly pay her $10 for each of us for booking the flight.  I thought it was extremely helpful because a couple of our island flights either got canceled or changed and she made all the necessary adjustments and rescheduling.  FI and I will probably go through AAA for our honeymoon since he is a member.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used a travel agent and it is making the process sooo much easier.  I get a discount on a travel agency through my work (OhioHealth) as part of our benefits package.  Depending on where you work your business my get travel agent discounts too.  Check to see if your company is a member of COESRA (Central Ohio Employee Services & Recreation Association). If so they have discounted travel agents you can use Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loislane906loislane906 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We went through Grandview Travel for our trip to Hawaii and I really liked them. We had gone to another travel agent (I wish I remembered which one!) and her price was over $2000 more than what we ended up doing at Grandview Travel. Also, she wouldn't listen to what we wanted AT ALL, but he genuinely listed to what we wanted to do and where we wanted to go. I found it helpful to have someone take care of all the details for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are members of AAA and we used them for free. We started talking to a lady at the Worthington Galena Rd office and then finished and booked it where we currently live. They gave us a lot of info to look through and answered all of our questions bc neither H or I had ever been out of the country.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We met Angel from Island Travel at the Fall Wedding Experience.  She was really friendly.  FH contacted her and ultimately booked our honeymoon to Secrets Maroma Beach.  We compared the website and her prices and although it does not appear that we saved a bunch of money, she did not charge for her services and it gave us peace of mind when booking everything.  

My dad recommends Delta Vacations if you are planning Europe.  He has used them a few times and just raves about the service, upgrades and trip insurance. 

Good Luck!
  • Options
    erikadiehlerikadiehl member
    edited December 2011
    Check out travelbyjen.com for great prices if you are on a budget. My friend just told me about it and Im super excited.
  • Options
    sherise40sherise40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to Athens, Rome, and Barcelona for our honeymoon.
    We spoke to a travel agent (actually 3) and they were all at least $2500 more then what we wanted.
    We actually booked our flight and honeymoone through europeandestinations.com
    for the both of us for 10 days/nights 3 day/nights in each city it was under $4000. We can add activites and stuff through the website once we decide what we want to do....
    I highly recommend trying to do some stuff yourself to save some $$$$$
    -Sherise Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using American Express to plan our honeymoon to French Polynesia.  The agent isn't local, but so far that hasn't been a hindrance.  We picked her due to her knowledge of the area and experience planning such an extensive trip.  Her pricing isn't much different from what we have found online, plus we are getting all flights booked together, originating here in Columbus, so that all is covered under the insurance for the trip.  We also chose AMEX because we want to know we didn't misinterpret anything in terms of transfers, fees, etc. and in the event something goes wrong, we have someone to call to make something right or at least tell us that we aren't getting ripped off. 

An agent should never charge you a fee - the airlines and resorts pay them, so if an agent wants to charge you a fee, you may want to consider someone else.  Also, any agent should be able to help you get within your budget, assuming it is a realistic one.  Interview and speak with a few different agents and find the one that you feel comfortable with.  You're spending a lot of money, so you want to make sure you do the trip right!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Polaris Travel and so far it has been nice. We wanted an all inclusive resort and did not care where we went. The input from everyone at their office about what they have liked and have not liked has been nice in narrowing down our choices. I have double checked online the prices we were quoted and they are about the same but this way I know if something goes wrong I have someone to call and they can fix it! This way I don't have to worry about booking buses or transfers and most travel agents will e-mail or call your hotel before you arrive and can get you bumped up a nicer room for no extra charge if they are available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards