Kentucky

Vendor Review: DOLL'S MARKET F-

I am getting married in Louisville in t-minus three weeks, but I live in New York City. My Maid of Honor suggested Doll's for wedding cupcakes. I didn't want to commit without a sample and we decided to order some for my shower. 

Not only did they get the order wrong, but when they delivered what was supposed to be the corrected order to the shower it was wrong AGAIN. We had no choice but to serve the order as the shower was already happening and there were 30 people standing around in my grandmother's house waiting for dessert. Unfortunately, the cupcakes were still hot and the icing fell right off many of them when they were plated up.

When we went to Doll's after the shower to speak to a manager, no one would help us. Over the next two weeks we tried, in vain, to get a refund. They demanded photo proof that the second batch was wrong. Thankfully my wedding photographer was at the shower and he had snapped the cupcakes. As soon as we sent Doll's photos, we stopped hearing from them. Called every day, send emails, NO RESPONSE. Only got the run around. I'm sure the error is a rare mistake, but the mark of a great vendor is their ability to bounce back from a mistake and correct a problem. They clearly did not care and they lost my business for the wedding.

DO NOT USE. 

Re: Vendor Review: DOLL'S MARKET F-

• edited December 2011
    We got our cupcakes from Sams.  Some people made faces when I told them that's what we were planning, but they were amazing and only $11 for 30 cupcakes.  No one complained the day of the wedding that's for sure.

Oh the stories I could have told you about Dolls.  Not a nice family, not a nice family business.  But since I don't have anything nice to say, I won't say anything.

Go to Sams.
  • ClerkinPradaClerkinPrada member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would actually be really interested in hearing all about it. We have been going through such a difficult time with them, and I am really at the end of my rope. I tried being super nice and patient - that got us nowhere. I tried being firm - that got us nowhere. I honestly do not believe we should have to pay for an order that was wrong not once, but TWICE. I cannot understand why no one there is empowered to help us. Every manager I speak with says they can't do anything and cannot be "put in the middle." Put in the middle?? You're a MANAGER. If you don't like making decisions, maybe you need a demotion. 

Please don't spare the story - share your experience. I'm amylcaudill@gmail.com if you would prefer to email it.

• inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also recommend Sam's cupcakes if you're still looking for a place to go.  They're awesome!  The Cupcake Shoppe in St. Matthews and Gigi's Cupcakes in Jtown are both pretty good too.  GL!
  • ambi083ambi083 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell them that you are more than willing to contact the Better Buisiness Bureau.  Most businesses will not want that sort of mark on their reputation and will be willing to take extra care in settling a poor situation, especially if you have proof it was their fault.
    Ready to get married on our 5th (dating) year anniversary!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gigi's is REALLY yummy, but a bit pricey.  They probably have a discount for large orders, though. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • berryblonde1berryblonde1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad to read this, since I had been thinking of contacting Doll's.  I tried both Cupcake Shoppe and Gigi's today, and GiGi's wins on all fronts.  They were cheaper and the cake was moist and fresh.  The Cupcake Shoppe is super-cute and they were VERY nice, but the cake is pretty dry and the cupcakes I bought at lunchtime were rock-hard by dinnertime.  Not good.  The GiGi's cupcake I bought stil looked, felt, and tasted fresh hours later.  Also, the Cupcake Shoppe charges $30/dozen regardless of order size whereas GiGi's offers incremental discounts based upon order size.  Stand and delivery are included in purchase at GiGi's, but are extra at The Cupcake Shoppe.  Basically, for a 200-person event, The Cupcake Shoppe would have been nearly $600 and GiGi's will be closer to $450.  I wanted to stick with local small business... but GiGi's blew the competiion out of the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards