Kentucky

Gillespie/ The Catering Company

We're leaning towards doing our wedding reception at the Gillespie in the summer of 2011.  I'm not from Louisville, so I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has on the venue.  Also, we're a little worried about how the food will turn out, as there isn't a full kitchen in the building.  So, if anyone can comment on any experience with "The Catering Company" or any other good catering company in Louisville, I would be very appreciative.  Ideally, I'd like to have a few buffet stations set up (e.g. a "southern" fried chicken/potato salad etc. station, a carving station, a made to order pasta station, etc.)  Thanks so much!

Re: Gillespie/ The Catering Company

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have found that I really prefer restaurants that cater as opposed to just caterers.  Have you been here?  Do you have any favorite restaurants?  Any favorite types of food?  Are you going to get to visit any time in the next few months? 

Since you can bring in any caterer, I think you'll be fine as there are TONS of good ones and good restaurants here.  You really do need to taste the food, though.  Many of us can give you suggestions, but like anything else it comes down to what you love.  Give me a starting point, though, and I'll be happy to try to help narrow the field for you.  I LOVE food and eating out.  I've done a lot of "research" for you since moving here.  ;)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Squirrly!  About 90% of our guests will be from out of town, so we thought it would be fun to do fried chicken and some other southern food, but at the same time we'd like to offer more traditional wedding fare (e.g. steak, carving stations, etc.)  (That's why I like the various stations idea; also because then the fact that the food isn't actually being cooked onsite won't have the same negative impact on its quality).  I've only been to Louisvile twice, both times just to look at venues, so unfortunately, I haven't had much opportunity to experience the cuisine.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, because we're paying for everything ourselves, we're very wary of the price.  If the catering prices end up rising substantially, we'd probably be better off just doing it at 21C or the Brown.

Thanks so much!
  • edited December 2011
    I have worked with the Catering Company and the food was fabulous.  I worked an event at the Gillespie and it was beautiful with top notch food.

You'll love them!
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Southern food. . . some suggestions:

Lynn's Paradise Cafe - I'm not sure if they cater, but I would definitely call.  They're most famous for breakfast (beat Bobby Flay on Throwdown), but everything they have is good, including fried chicken.  http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/

Bourbon's Bistro - they for sure cater.  It's modern, upscale southern food, but definitely has the southern undertone to it.  And it's some of my favorite food in town.
    http://www.bourbonsbistro.com/

Avalon - pretty sure they cater.  Another southern modern bistro type place.  Awesome food.  http://www.avalonfresh.com/#

If you go with a caterer, I'm not as familiar with those.  However, things to ask about and then taste, potentially - hot browns (a Louisville original recipe now served across the country - toast, turkey, country ham, cheese sauce, shredded cheese, bacon, and diced tomato -- yum!), country ham biscuits, fried chicken, & cheese grits.  BBQ is also popular here, and there are a number of good places for that.  You might also ask about "Derby Pie" - aka chocolate chip pecan pie. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    I reeeeeeally like The Catering Company too. Their food is extremely good. And the prices are very reasonable as well.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!  Any chance anyone is in a position to be able to compare the Catering Company to Naiman's and Mastersons (who also seem to get great reviews on these boards?)
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure about The Catering Company, but I am an August 2010 Gillespie bride. I have been to several other venues in Louisville and believe it outshines them all. The openness and high ceilings are what sealed the deal for me! It is very, very large though so the only bad thing you could come across is filling it up to where it doesn't look too empty! So far, they have also been very helpful with the planning process. Good Luck with your decision!
  • edited December 2011
    I personally love the  gillespie!!! I have taken the tour and have talked to soooo many brides that love that venue!  it is such a unique place! especially if you have a very creative eye and so does the person you are working with to create your decorations!!! Congrats and Good luck!!1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards