December 2013 Weddings
Options

NYE Wedding

We have found a reception site that we love and a caterer that is very willing to work with us, but we aren't sure if this date would be the best. The reception site that we want requires that everything be cleaned up by 1:00 am, even on NYE. The caterers said that they would be able to clean up in a half hour (strolling dinner) to 45 minutes (sit down dinner), but that still doesn't leave too much time for the guests to stay after midnight. Does that seem okay, or would be kind of a bummer to have to leave right after midnight? There are plenty of bars in the area for anyone who wants to keep on partying well into the night.

Also, given that it is on a weekday and not everyone will have the day off, what time would be a good start time? We are looking to have it at an art museum, so we want to give our guests enough time to browse the galleries. But at the same time, we don't want to start too early so that our guests won't have to take off work. We also are having a ceremony that will last around an hour and a half... Where is the balance? 

We are also debating between a strolling dinner (heavy appetizers) or a family-style dinner. We like the idea of a strolling dinner because then dinner won't take a huge chunk of time, but we aren't sure if that would be enough food. On the other hand, I worry that with a seated dinner, people aren't going to spend time browsing the galleries in the museum, and then the money we are paying to rent out the museum would kind of go to waste.

I have no experience planning a wedding, so any input is appreciated! 

Re: NYE Wedding

• Options
    I think that leaving shortly after midnight wouldn't be an issue.  As you said a lot of guests will have work that day and possibly on New Year's Day as well.  I think the bars will be enough for anyone who wants to continue partying after te reception.  Ultimately though you know your guests best.  If you think they will be bummed out to leave shortly after midnight, then don't go with it.  Also, do whatever makes you and your FI happy.  If you aren't going to want to leave right after midnight, then it probably isn't the best option.

I would say to start around 5.  Most people would not have to take off work and could plan to get off a little early that day if needed.  If the ceremony and reception are at different sights, i think it is a little more complicated.  With starting at 5, you could start dinner by 7 or 7:30, but that is the sights are the same. 

I think that your thoughts about the dinner are right on.  I think the strolling dinner sounds like a better option with the art museum.  I would just spend a lot of time with the caterer or whoever is doing the food to make sure there is plenty.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards