Missouri-St Louis

Help...

I am having trouble finding out how to chat on a forum for St. Louis Best Bridal. I need to find out about a Photographer before I meet him tomorrow to make sure he is legit. His name is Ron Johnson and he is from Arnold. Any suggestions on what to ask if you arent sure they are for real. He has a contract that I get to look at and sign. My mom thinking hes a scam because he told me by his next bridal show event his prices will be tripling... He is only charging $850 right now for engagment session, bridal session, cd w/rights, 200 proof prints in an album, all day coverage, and web hosting for 2 months. So for his prices to triple seems about right. He has been doing business for 2 years now and feels in introductory price is no longer needed. What do you ladies think? Any one have any suggestions? When I meet him tomorrow he is bringing his latest work and his laptop to show us what he can do. Once we sign the contract and put the $200 deposit down we get the price of $850.

Re: Help...

• edited December 2011
    Are you looking for questions to ask the photographer, or something else? I found a couple of links that list some questions that will give you a feel for whether you want to use this photog:[url]http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/ceremony/what-ask-wedding-photographer-00000000000638/[/url][url]http://www.weddingphotousa.com/questions.htm[/url][url]http://www.frugalbride.com/choosingphoto.html[/url]Some of them are a little repetitive, but I think those cover the major questions. If you're worried about the contract, have an attorney look it over before you sign anything. Also, you probably know this already, but make sure that you both get copies of the contract signed by both of you. Good luck! I hope he turns out to be awesome.
  • Cipolla2BeCipolla2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were you I would ask to take the contract home first and then look over it.  Ask if you can mail it to him if/wehn you decide to sign and go with him.  Our photographer let us take everything home as well as most of our other vendors.  You shuoldn't be obligated to sign on the spot....Then you can do more research on him.  Does he have a website?  You could also ask other photographers in the area if they have heard of him...
  • KJDOHERTYKJDOHERTY member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are tons of reviews on stlwedDOTcom for photographers but none on Ron Johnson.  I've personally never heard of such a low price for that sort of package but maybe he's just getting started in the business.  If I were you, I'd ask him for at least 3-5 recommendations of other brides you can contact that he's done work for.  When you talk to those brides, be sure to ask them if Ron was their first or second/assistant photographer.  I've heard of several (and experienced one) photographers who tried to pawn off being a first shooter at a wedding when she was really the second/assistant.I'd also check the Better Business Bureau to see if his name comes up.
  • ilythiailythia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you call him up today or before your supposed to go meet him and ask for references from past clients. If the references check out and they aren't "friends" of his and maybe they can email you some photos from their wedding then you'll know if he is or isn't a scam. . . .But a scam artist is good at what they do he may even have this area covered. Personally I would go with someone that was suggested by family and friends or go to a photography business (like a building location in town) and see what they have available.My uncle one of the smartest people I know got scammed professionaly in the stock market business some of his family memebers who do the same stuff as him put all of their money into this scam artist and lost it all and they who once were billionaires are now flipping burgers. Not that they didn't look into this guy, they had him checked before doing any business with him. He was just that dam good.So long story . . .just do the safe route if you have any reason to doubt him as a professional. These are your wedding photos. . . you don't went them to be the one thing that goes wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards