Missouri-St Louis

Ring Drama

My mom gave me her wedding band and I really want to use it, but I have a white gold engagement ring and it is yellow gold.  I went to the jewelers today and asked if the ring could be melted down and made into new white gold ring.  He said no because of yellow alloys or some chemical reason.  He said I could have it rhodium plated, but the plating would not last and would have to be redone every six months or so because I planned on wearing it everyday.  I REALLY want to have my mother's ring incorporated someway even if it is not actually visible. Does anyone know of a jeweler that could make a ring that would encase or cover my mother's ring which would be underneath and have the new white gold or platinum finish on top?  I don't know if this is possible.

Re: Ring Drama

• aprilrose975aprilrose975 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just have it melted down and made into a pendant.  Or don't do anything and wear it on your right hand. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'd leave it as is. It's a family heirloom that you can continue to pass down. If you melt it or alter it . . . how does your mom feel about this? I'd just wear it on my right hand.
  • edited December 2011
    I'd also just wear it on my right hand. Or, find a jeweler who rhodium plates for free with custom work.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • shawna77inilshawna77inil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could have sworn that I saw a post a few months back about someone who had her and her husbands bands done with their parents/grandparents? bands built in underneath them.  I thought it said that you could still see the gold from the original band on the underside (the side that touches skin, not the shank where anyone else would ever see it) and that it was really a wonderful job.  I will try to go through posts later and see if I can find it.  I think that would be a perfect solution to your problem since you want it to be part of your wedding band.  I'll let you know what I find!
  • edited December 2011
    shawna-  Exactly the kind of solution I'm looking for!  Let me know if you can find it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards