Missouri-St Louis

Lumen Private Event Space

Hello StL brides!!

I've posted before - still planning a long distance wedding :-)  We're looking at a few venues for our reception and in the front-running is Lumen Private Event space on Locust.

I very much like the ambiance the sheer curtains and lighting have on the windows and love the look with the balcony.  It's also in the location we're looking for - close enough to the Arch where our hotels for the weekend will be and also close to a few bars. (close as in a short taxi ride...)

Has anyone been here or used this space for their reception?  Any information you can provide - about the service, extra costs that weren't upfront, quality of food, fleixibility in choices, etc.  - will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Re: Lumen Private Event Space

• Meagan0528Meagan0528 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have not been there....I actually haven't heard of it but I'm assuming it's fairly close to Washington Avenue.  That is a very cool neighborhood.  Fairly new and ultra trendy.  I looked up Lumen Space's website and it looks VERY beautiful.  The vendors it's associated with (Mike Shannon's, Pepper Lounge, and Mandrin) are reputable as well.  I wonder how new it is, I don't think I have ever even seen it down there, and it looks like it would be hard to miss!  I'll ask around and see if anyone I know has heard anything about it, and I'll let you know if I find anything out.  Keep me updated!
    Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Lilypie First Birthday tickers PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at the place, but looked at reviews on different wedding websites and they had some bad reviews. A bride actually had 2 cars stolen. Also, when it came to communication they never responded timely. I actullay had to wait almost 2 weeks to get info on pricing. Be careful!
  • colleeng83colleeng83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_lumen-private-event-space?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:6c2c9a94-edec-49ec-81d7-edd71a6095edPost:c628d3e4-4b40-421d-ac9b-1d848eef09dc">Re: Lumen Private Event Space</a>:
    [QUOTE]We looked at the place, but looked at reviews on different wedding websites and they had some bad reviews. A bride actually had 2 cars stolen. Also, when it came to communication they never responded timely. I actullay had to wait almost 2 weeks to get info on pricing. Be careful!
    Posted by Future Mrs Wilson[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.  What wedding websites did you find that information on?  I keep finding information about the Lumen in Chicago but can't find the reviews for the Lumen in St. Louis.

Who were you working with at Lumen, if you remember?

Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I have worked an event there before. I didn't try any of the food cause I was working, but I will tell you this.  I would not recommend it for ceremony and reception.  I would only book for reception only. Its just not that big of a space, and the upstairs gets really hot. And its small. If that's where they put the cocktail hour while flipping the room. But it is a very modern event space. If you like that feel, I would look into the Palladium (sp?) its run by Butlers Pantry. I looked there for my wedding, its wonderful.
  • edited December 2011
    I have passed by this space. Requested information for my reception for March 2011 about 2 weeks ago. Still waiting for a response.

That was a red flag so I did not pursue it any further.

I would recommend 15STL or I think its more formally know as Jim Edmonds Steakhouse 15. Its in a great location downtown and is very reasonably priced and the event coordinator responds readily to request for pricing.

They were one of my choices, but my fiance likes the Crowne Plaza in Clayton more.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually looked at the lumen for my wedding and I do have to say it was in the top 3 that we looked at.  The space was a little too small for the amount of people we had, but I loved the hard wood floors!  I do have to agree with the others in that I emailed them to get availability on my date and I never heard back- my fiance finally got ahold of someone over his lunch hour.  We went and met with the coordinator, who was nice but on their website they do not offer prices- I asked for them and I never got an email, even after we met with her.  That was a red flag to me.  I actually live on Washington Ave. downtown and I wouldn't worry about anyones cars getting stolen- as long as nothing valuable is in view it should be fine- it is downtown!!  Their is a lot to do near-by.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards