Missouri-St Louis
Options

Ideas for reception other than candy bar

I was wondering if there were any other ideas other than a candy bar to add on to a reception. Talking to my dad and he suggested a ice cream bar...would that work and how should I go about doing that?!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ideas for reception other than candy bar

• Options
    That could be fun, except it'd be impossible without a staff member to scoop out of a refridgerated cart.  At least, for longer than 30 mins or so- ice cream will melt, and you'd have limited ways of heating your toppings because the heaters they use in parlors won't be allowed because of burn liability.  I'd also ask the venue immediately before getting to the staff/ cart part of things because an ice cream bar would probably be a collosal mess.  

Could you do something else instead?

I went to a wedding that had a mashed potato bar that was really fun.  A girl on my month board did a cookie bar with all kinds of take home containers and little cartons of milk.  Maybe flavors of popcorn?  Or rent a food truck?
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    Yeah, I looked up information about it after I posted it. I actually think we are going to do some sort of candy bar but not quite. We are going to get 3 decent sized gum ball machines and put mms of our colors in each of them at the "candy table" then at each table we are going to do rock candy and some other things!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went to a wedding once with a fondue station. There bowls of pretzels, berries, bananas, marshmallows... and then fondue fountains. It does get a tad messy though...
  • Options

My FI and I are thinking of doing an ice cream bar instead of candy, we figured that it will be way cheaper and everyone lkes icecream with their cake.  I like the idea of the gumball machine and rock candy though.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_ideas-for-reception-other-than-candy-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:87Discussion:90da7989-52df-4f64-9370-96cbebe70b69Post:5ff17479-5d9b-4105-8e41-1523561c7cd6">Ideas for reception other than candy bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering if there were any other ideas other than a candy bar to add on to a reception. Talking to my dad and he suggested a ice cream bar...would that work and how should I go about doing that?!!
    Posted by Sarahf617[/QUOTE]

I am serving micro mini Ted Drewes at my reception. We are going to offer my favorite (M&M's) and my Fiance's favorite (reeses) the micro mini size is going to be a good compliment to the cake and since they come in their own container it only takes one of the staff to offer the treats. I had also considered a late night slinger bar (like the slingers from courtsey diner).
  • Options
    jesmeyjesmey member
    First Comment
    Our venue did a s'mores bar at our wedding. An employee of the venue roasting marshmallows as people waited and then we had graham crackers and a ton of different toppings- different chocolates, fudge sauce, sprinkles, nuts, coconut, etc. It was great, but you definitely need a professional manning the flames!
  • Options
    I'm doing a popcorn bar.  We will have some tubs of unsalted unbuttered popcorn and will have shakers of different toppings: salt, pepper, ranch, butter, cheddar cheese powder, garlic salt, parm. cheese, taco seasoning, cocoa, cinnamon and sugar, kettle corn flavoring, etc.  Then in bowl we will have: dried fruit, cajun trail mix, marshmallows, m&ms, reeses pieces, peanuts, goldfish crackers, chocolate chips, etc.  We stamped our initials and "thank you" on plain white popcorn bags.  Then, people can fill up the bags with porcorn and flavor it however they want!  My second choice would have been a cookie and milk bar with a variety of homemade (and some store bought like oreos!) cookies and little things of milk.  I was just going to get some cute colored large tubs and fill with ice to keep the milk jugs cold and have the cookies displayed on some cute plates on the table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is such a good idea!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would stay away from the icecream bar! as cute as it sounds I recently attended a wedding where this was attempted and it was a disaster, melty gooey mess! I felt awful for the couple as you could tell the brides heart was broken. poor thing.

I personally like the candy bar even though its SO over done, because it makes you feel like a kid again. I mean who dosn't love candy? plus if you are inviting kids they will have a blast!
  • Options
    How did people like your s'mores bar? They offer one at our venue and I really want to include it. My stepmom doesn't think adults would be into this. She's wrong right? I hope so. I think it's awesome.
  • Options
    Hi! I am so DIY bride so trust me been there. Things like finger sandwiches, wings, home cooking, cookies, things your grandma would make for you tend to be big favorites. also a way to spend less money have you guests or attendees bring a dish of there own make a banquet style wedding you save money and everyone get to choose what they want to eat or bring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards