Missouri-St Louis

August wedding in StL--are we crazy??

I recently got engaged, and this past weekend my fiance (FI? I'm new to these boards..) and I checked out several places in St. Louis for a possible late summer/early fall 2012 wedding. Mid-August works best for our work and school schedules, but are we setting ourselves up for misery? One place we loved was the 9th Street Abbey in Soulard, but would the outdoor courtyard be too hot/humid to use for cocktail hour? If anybody has experience with this and and any advice about receptions, not melting your makeup during pictures, etc....I'm all ears! Thanks!

Re: August wedding in StL--are we crazy??

• edited December 2011
    Not crazy.  Would not me the most comfortable your guests have ever been, but if it is an hour it may be okay.

My makeup suggestions- Make Up Forever "Mist and Fix" over your makeup- apply heavily after all of your other makeup is done.  It rained all day on my wedding- and even after 2 hours of outdoor photos, another hour of indoor, our ceremony and crying repeatedly at toasts during our wedding- my makeup was flawless.

I also highly recommend Diorshow Waterproof mascara- applies perfectly, large brush to prevent mussing with your false lashes if you choose to wear them, and it is waterproof through anything you can throw at it, including snorkeling masks, oceans, surfing, crying, etc.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • edited December 2011

Go with air-brushed makeup.  Mine lasted over 24 hours (granted I got married in October, but it was flawless, and all I had to do was reapply lipstick every few hours.  Gotta love the wedding day smooching :)  I used the brilliant makeup artists of makeupartistry2.com).  Don't fight the natural texture of your hair during a St. Louis summer. 

We had both our ceremony and reception at the 9th Street Abbey, and after attending weddings at all the big reception/wedding factories in St. Louis, I think Patty Long is the absolute bee's knees.  It was like having an actual DOC.  Talk to them about what they do for super hot and humid St. Louis August weddings.  Think lots of refreshing cocktails and appi's.  We were supposed to have the rainiest wedding day ever, and we decided to have our guests seated at tables instead of in rows so the room wouldn't have to be "flipped."  Then the cocktail hour could have been in the bar area in the back of the room.  Our guests really loved sitting at tables (apparently it's done more often than I realized), and when the rain was a no-show, we had a gorgeous cocktail hour on the patio.  So, I'd just get suggestions from Patty Long--I'm sure they know how to handle a St Louis summer :) 

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
  • jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you're not crazy! I think pp's advice was spot on.

As far as makeup, I was all about airbrush makeup until I had my makeup trial and found out from my MUA that airbrush really works the best on dry/normal skin types.  I have oily/combination skin but decided to give it a try anyways- it did NOT work for me!  Within 2 hours of my trial I was a greasy mess and the airbrush foundation just looked awful.  I decided to go with the traditional cream foundation the day of the wedding and did not have the same problems. 

Also, what I find a must-have for STL summer weather- oil absorbing or oil blotting sheets.  Clean & Clear brand makes them (you can find them at Walmart and Walgreens for about $5) and they are a godsend for your skin in hot, humid weather!  They remove any shininess from your skin without taking off your makeup.  Definitely stick a package of them in your clutch or emergency kit.
  • cenc73cenc73 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, ladies! Thanks especially for sharing your good experience w/ Patty Long...they have been very accomodating even at the 'shopping around' stage, but still it's reassuring to hear lots of good things before making a final decision! Also, I do have oily skin so the makeup suggestions are much appreciated.

JLK-I looked at your planning bio and will be revisiting it often! Love all the DIY touches, and if we end up using the 9th Street Abbey we will definitely be using some of the same shots from Lafayette Park. :)
  • whiskers_82whiskers_82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was in May at Patty Long.  I can't recommend them enough.  I had so many guest say it was the best wedding they ever went to.  The food was wonderful, and the cocktail hour outside was a hit.  A the PP said, it is like having a DOC...they will go above and beyond. 

Also, regarding an August Wedding.  I thought my best friend was insane for having an August wedding.  She ended up with a beautiful day...about 80 almost no humidity.  St. Louis weather is so hard to predict!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards