Michigan-Detroit

Ceremony/Reception Venue???

I'm newly engaged and we have set our date for October 2011 but I would like to get started ASAP.  However, I'm having trouble trying to find indoor ceremony and reception venue location for a resonable/inexpensive cost.  I have a very small budget and will be a DIY bride (with the help of my family and friends) for the most part.  We have a guest list of around 200 and most likely looking for banquet style meals (with open, but limited bar). We are looking around the Brighton area but are willing to travel at least 20-30 miles any direction for a good deal.  Any help or advice would be wonderful.

Re: Ceremony/Reception Venue???

• edited December 2011
    Welcome & congrats!  What are you wanting to stay around per person?  Just so we have a better idea of what you are working with :)
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ilovetobinilovetobin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was wanting to spend no more then $15 per person max (probably more like $10).  With the economy the way it is we are really struggling to put extra money aside.  =(

• terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Welcome!

Question: was that inclusive of alcohol? or was that just a food per person cost?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was wanting it to include alcohol but that may be being unrealistic considering the budget I'm trying to work with.
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations and Welcome to the board!!

It may be difficult to find a venue that will provide food/alcohol for that amount per head. You may be better off looking for a venue that will allow you to bring in your own catering and alcohol. That will most definitely save on cost. I don't know if it would still end up falling into your budget but I would suggest looking into that, you will find better prices doing it that way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you.  I appreciate the advice from everyone!  I'm really hoping the economy turns around so I can put some extra into the wedding budget.  =)
  • Kimbus 87Kimbus 87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

First off, welcome and congrats!!!

Just an figure idea for you  -- were getting married June 5, 2010. The reception is going to be at the Myth in Oakland Township. Their special is $38/pp including open bar and buffet dinner.  

I agree with looking into places that allow you to bring in your own alcohol and catering -- will save a ton of money that way.

• jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Howell, so I'm really familiar with the area. The only place I can think of that would be close to your budget is Woodshire in Fowlerville. Their price is $23 per person and that includes hall rental,  meal, soft drinks, bar mixes, bartenders, linen tablecloths and napkins and hall setup and cleanup. You will need to provide your own alcohol though. http://www.woodshireplace.com. The links to their menu do not seem to be working, but shoot me an email and I can send it to you. jodyk23 at hotmail dot com.

Other options include renting a hall. There are several VFW and Eagles halls in the area. And then hire a caterer. Actually if you like Gus' Carryout, they do catering. We are having them do our rehersal dinner. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not as familar with the area so I can't recommend specific venues, however, a VFW Hall or Elks Lodge will probably be your best bet. If your budget and guest list are non-negotiable have you considered doing something other than an evening reception?

I'm thinking perhaps you could rent out a local park (its usually very inexpensive) and do the ceremony there too. You'd have to get a caterer to do more BBQ style food and any booze but if you did that during the daytime you could easily do beer/wine only.

Another thought that came to mind was to get married say late morning and have a small appetizer reception brunch thing afterwards. Serve things like quiche, danishes, fruit and mimosas.

Just some options to consider - there's no requirement to have an evening reception with a full meal and bar. But some couples want those things so its up to you and your FI.

Luckily you have almost 2 years to save for whatever you plan (and for the economy to improve). Good luck & Happy Planning!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Could you possibly even cut the guest list down a little bit and make a little smaller?  Like pp said I think an Elks Lodge or VFW Hall would be great options as well as a park.  Good luck!  Let us know if you have any other questions!
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

Check out 59 West in Highland (at M59 & M23-ish). They have really huge banquet rooms- not the nicest views of the parking lot, but the rooms are really nice. They usually have good deals. I know the family that owns it (in the interest of full disclosure, it's my sister's baby daddy's family- but they are not together), and when we had my sister's baby shower there people were really impressed by the food and the rooms.

Actually, I just looked at their website, and they have a contest starting next month to win a wedding reception, so definitely check it out!!! You have to complete an application by February 15.

http://59west.com/

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  You guys are amazing!!!  Thank you so very much.  I will check out all this information.  I appreciate the advice so much.  Thanks again!!!  I was really upset and discouraged last night thinking I wasn't going to be able to have my day at least a little the way I wanted.  But, now I feel inspired again thanks to all of you!!!  Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards