Michigan-Detroit
Options

Wedding Flowers...

Ok so I had my heart set on lilies for the wedding. That was until my MIL brought home lilies and some other flowers for the dinner table when we had guest over. There the white and purple lilies. I never knew lilies had such a strong smell. Do all types of them smell that strong or is it just that type. I think their tiger lilies if I remember right. 

image165 Invited
image9 are ready to party
image0 Aren't coming
image156 Can't find their mail box
RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
I will face heartache
On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
Planning Bio/ Blog

Re: Wedding Flowers...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes. Most lilies have a very strong smell and a lot of pollen, but most florists can order ones that have a lighter fragrance and they will remove the stamen with the pollen. If you are set on lilies, talk to your florist about your options. Also, some types of lilies (cala) can get pricey.
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Calla's are expensive!! I'm using them as my bouquet and some other decorations but not the centerpieces.  That way the smell isn't too overpowering for anyone but me!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if the smell bothers you THAT badly, fake/silk lillies really are very very similar to real ones. I'd say it's the one flower that you could totally get away with it.

my sister had callas for her wedding last summer i have HORRRRRRRRIBLE allergies, and they didnt affect me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For the tiger/regular lilies, have your florist cut off the stamen - they will drastically reduce allergies.  The callas don't need this done though. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The lily's at Hobby Lobby look incredibly real and actually feel real too.
  • Options
    lovetruly06lovetruly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls. I wanted regular lilies, calla lilies and roses. But we not doing flower center pieces  and what flowers we do have around the room will be few and far between so the guest wont have to deal with the smell really. I was thinking more about my bridesmaids and those standing upfront with us. Maybe we can find something to substitute for the flowers, i don't know we'll figure it out. I just honestly had never been around lilies around to know how strong their smell was, not that it's bad but it for sure requires some thinking. 

Thanks for the tips, I'll for sure be checking out hobby lobby maybe that will be a good option to use for the other girls to help keep cost down. Don't know well see.

image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      Oriental lilies are the ones that have the strong smell. Asiatic lilies have a much lighter scent or no scent at all.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Janicejab is correct. I personally LOVE the smell of oriential lillies, especially the Stargazer variety which is dark pink. I actually planted them in my yard so I could enjoy the scent (when the wild bunnies don't eat the buds, LOL).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards