Timeline?

Hi All,

I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed about my August wedding.  What I have done:
I have my date
I have my venue
I have my dress
I have my save the dates
and I have the DJ

What I don't have is my cater (my FI's mother insists we can do it ourselves)
I don't have my photographer
I don't have colors or theme or decorations
or anything else.

Can anybody help me focus in on what I should be doing next?  Am I super behind the game or right on track???

Re: Timeline?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:32938760-b333-48d9-9a06-ff4ce8bbadf5Post:5b5fe9fd-81ab-4860-ade9-10471377f3b3">Timeline?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi All, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed about my August wedding.  What I have done: I have my date I have my venue I have my dress I have my save the dates and I have the DJ What I don't have is my cater (my FI's mother insists we can do it ourselves) I don't have my photographer I don't have colors or theme or decorations or anything else. Can anybody help me focus in on what I should be doing next?  Am I super behind the game or right on track???
    Posted by kitkit20[/QUOTE]

I say focus on the catering and photography next, simply because they are pretty important. Do you want to do the catering yourself, or is it only your FI's mother that is pushing for it? If you would rather hire someone, I say start researching catering companies or restaurants. Also, photographers can book up months in advnace (especially the good ones) so that's something that should be taken care of sooner than later. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 123 Invited
    image 96 Are ready to party
    image 27 Will be missing out
    image 0 Are undecided
  • Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I agree with linnyv, definitely photographer next.  I'd also add on officiant unless it is included with your venue.  Decorations can come later once all the outside vendors are nailed down.  Most of my DIY stuff is probably not happening until the week before the wedding (though I don't have much of it).  Still plenty of time though, no worries :)  Good luck!
  • I agree with the PP. Start looking for photographers. You still have time for decorations. How many people are you having at your wedding? Catering a whole wedding can be a lot of work!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker August 2013 March Siggy Challenge: The Dress! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with the PP. Decide if you are going to do the cateringor not, if not that will need to be booked soon, if you are you need to figure out what you are making and how.

Personally I have been using theknots timeline. There are some things that dont always apply to me but it gives me a pretty good idea as to where I should be.

Next things you should be looking at...

1) Who is marrying you
    2) Honeymoon
    3) Flowers
    4) Chose your bridal party if your going to have one
    5) Photography
  • Agree with PPs.  If I were in your shoes I would focus on getting a photgrapher next.  I know they book up really quickly especially if you are looking for good quality on a budget.  

I would also look into catering even if its just your favorite restaurant or something cheaper.  I know I would not want to worry about cooking for 100-200 people right before my wedding.
  • We're probably expecting about 100 guests.  I personally don't want to worry about catering our wedding ourselves.  It sounds like way to much work.  I'll focus on finding a caterer and a photographer.  Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.
  • edited March 2013
    I agree with everyone -- Photography is a great place to start! Photos capture the day, and you want to make sure you feel comfortable with whomever is going to be documenting your big day. Also, it looks like you are in Portland (I'm in Seattle) and August is the time of year with the best weather = one of the busiest wedding months of the year.  This highlights even more the importance of locking in some of the vendors. If you are considering a videographer, I would HIGHLY recommend First and Foremost Productions out of Seattle. They are a vibrant, young couple and do incredible work -- not to mention they are extremely likeable (I'm working with them for my August wedding).

As far as catering, I am with you that catering for 100 sounds like a LOT of work! Depending on your venue, you may also be charged a fee for brining your own food (if we did our own catering or brought in an external caterer, the fee was $10/person). Maybe a compromise would be having the wedding catered but doing the rehearsal dinner (a much smaller number of people) yourselves?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards