August 2013 Weddings

Room Block

Hi ladies, I'm curious if anybody else had any trouble finding a reasonably-priced room block, particularly any other August 16th or 17th brides.  I figured I could find a decent Quality Inn or similar for under $100 for my guests, but the hotels I've checked so far have quoted me higher than usual rates and been unwilling to negotiate.  My theory is that this is because so many families with kids use mid-August to travel, but I'd be interested to see what brides in other parts of the country are running into.  Trust me, Central Mass was a great place to grow up, but it is definitely not a vacation destination!  I took the best deal I could find just make sure we have something for our guests, but I may check again closer to the date and see if rates change as time goes on.  

Re: Room Block

• I'm getting married in the Philly suburbs and we were able to get a newly renovated Hilton Garden Inn for $99 per night including breakfast.  When we blocked our rooms the hotel wasn't very willing to negotiate via email or phone and originally quoted us higher with no breakfast included.   Since I currently live in DC area I was unable to meet with the hotel manager in person, but my parents found it very important to stop in and see the hotel before we blocked.  When they went in to see the hotel, they spent a lot of time talking with the manager about the wedding and she ended up giving them a better price.
  • I would say the closer it gets to the actual date the prices go down & the more negotiable the hotel will be!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married August 2 in the suburbs of Chicago. We booked at the Westin for $109/night. They are providing a shuttle back and forth from the reception to the hotel. There arent a ton of options around our venue so that is what we had to go with.
  • Thanks for your suggestions everyone!  The block I took is $119 at a Hilton Garden Inn, and the only "extras" are free rehearsal dinner or breakfast space (but we'd have to use their overpriced caterer) and a free night for us if 25 guests book (which is cool but we don't need it).  There is no harm in keeping it just in case, but I will take your advice and try a different hotel, in person, in a couple of months.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards