Ohio-Columbus

Veil Alteration?

Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced place to get my veil cleaned and altered?  It was my mom's veil from her wedding.  It is a cathedral length (wayyy to long for my beach wedding) so I want to get it shortened.  It also needs a new comb for the top...

Please let me know if you have any good ideas!

Kim

Re: Veil Alteration?

• dgnphotodgnphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sewing a new comb on is easy to do by hand if you are a DIY kind of person.  Otherwise, taking it to any tailoring place would work.  They would cut it to size, and then put a rollover edge with their serger around the edge.  It wouldn't be difficult, more like a little bit time consuming, and working with a delicate fabric.  You could go with someone cheap on Craigslist, but it's hard to know the quality from there (I'm not sure I'd trust my mother's veil to a random person).  

If you are just using your mother's veil to save money rather than for sentimental purposes, there are lots of things on the internet about how to make your own veil.  They have decorative combs at Michael's, and you can get tulle from Joann's.  I don't think you really need an edging on it if you cut it cleanly.  Good luck! Smile
  • edited December 2011

Alan Ray Bridal and Gabrielle's European Bridal are both known for making custom veils.  They definitely have experience with veils and may even have experience with altering them.

• fallbride'10fallbride'10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this post! I was planning on doing the exact same thing. I love my mom's veil and it would mean a lot for me to wear it but there needs to be just a few changes to update it a little. :)
    November 12, 2010 imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    thanks everyone!  Those are alot of good ideas.  My mom's veil is my "something old" although she doesn't mind me altering it to fit in with my wedding alittle more.  I want to keep the lace on the bottom of the veil so I was thinking of cutting off the top and attaching the new comb.  I'm just scared of messing it up by doing it myself!
  • dgnphotodgnphoto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you cut it just a teeny bit longer than how you want it, then if you do mess it up, someone can fix it. Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards