Michigan-Detroit
Options

Maiden Name...Are You Keeping Yours???

2»

Re: Maiden Name...Are You Keeping Yours???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok.. so.. I'm published in my field.. so - I'm not legally changing my name until we have children - then I'm hyphenating my name.. I won't mind being called by hubby's name - but I've chosen to keep mine. I've had it my WHOLE life.. and we agreed to hyphenate mine so that the kids will have my name too - since I'm an only child.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH - and because my mom gave me her maiden name  - I was hyphenated for about 10 years. so going back to hyphenation won't be an issue for me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket Visit Detroit.Weddings.com

I'm a guest blogger on 12Kwedding.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_maiden-nameare-keeping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:206d78b3-32bd-4da6-b23e-dacbdae2def1Post:b7f6a81c-9909-4ce1-bd57-840ba1b1921c">Re: Maiden Name...Are You Keeping Yours???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so intrigued by this thread!  Taryn, I am loving your idea (well maybe you didn't create the idea, but you know what I mean)! Please help me with some clarification.  Did you move your maiden name to your middle name?  Or did you keep your middle name and now just have two last names?  I'm assuming if the latter is true, you legally have to sign both names, but can refer to yourself as either. 
    Posted by jlfick[/QUOTE]

I kept my middle name and now have two last names.  Because they are not hyphenated, I can legally sign either one since they are both on my driver's license and Soc. Security card.  I use Jones 99.9% of the time...but I like having my maiden name there as part of me.  Plus, I didn't have to update my CC and bank account right away since I could still legally use my maiden name. :)

If the last name is hyphenated, it is considered one name so you would legally have to sign both.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Great question!  I have been struggling with this decision lately and I'm still unsure what I'll do.  What I can say is that I'm completely surprised that this is a struggle for me.  I never thought I would consider anything other than taking my husbands last name but now that I'm facing it, I find myself feeling attached to the name I will have had for 30 years.  My name is unique and while people struggle to pronounce and spell it, I like it.   

For me the problem lies in the fact that we both have names that are long and difficult to pronounce (fun fact: we both have two z's in our last names).   So, hyphenating, using my maiden name as my middle name or having two last names just doesn't seem practical. Hmmm.....

• Options
    Jacks21583Jacks21583 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never liked my middle name, so my new name will be Jaclyn Maidenname Newname. I don't have to let go of my maiden name, and I get to drop a middle name I've hated all my life. Bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Weird question for you Taryn - does your drivers license have your Maiden first initial or J?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_maiden-nameare-keeping?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:206d78b3-32bd-4da6-b23e-dacbdae2def1Post:9bafb44d-41d3-4235-801c-3b8ec13261b4">Re: Maiden Name...Are You Keeping Yours???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Weird question for you Taryn - does your drivers license have your Maiden first initial or J?
    Posted by Booger+Bear[/QUOTE]

My driver's license says: Taryn Kay MaidenName-Jones.  Yes, they hyphenated and they weren't supposed to.  I have been too lazy to go back and change it..but I need to. 

My Social Security card is right. It says Taryn Kay MaidenName Jones. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards