Ohio-Columbus

Finding a Reception Venue

Hello, I am fairly new here.

Our wedding is June 11, 2011 and I'm fairly sure of the ceremony venue. The issue is the reception site. I love places like Everal Barn and Highbanks, but they don't allow alcohol and FI's parents seem pretty sure about wanting a bar.

Does anyone have ideas about an offbeat, unique reception site that hasn't been done to death?

TTC since October 2011.
DX with Non-IR PCOS in October 2012.
Missing RIGHT tube due to a prior surgery to remove cyst-zilla (40 lbs!) at age 12.
HSG showed tube was blocked - cleared by dye. DON'T DO CLOMID WITHOUT AN HSG!
Cycle #8 with 50mg Clomid & TI = BFN
Cycle #9 with 50mg Clomid & TI = No response.
Cycle #10 with Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel shot = ???
CD12 ultrasound showed no follicles above 10mm.
CD16 ultrasound showed no follicles above 10mm (WTF)
Clomid 200mg CD 16-22, repeat u/s on 3/11

Re: Finding a Reception Venue

• edited December 2011
    Try the Ohio Bar Assoc. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ohio State Golf Club or Hickory Lakes in Pickerington both have kind of a "rustic" look but still have alcohol.  I have a couple pictures of both, if you're interested.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    You should get a copy of the Columbus Bride Magazine. It listed all locations, size, parking, etc. Great resource!
  • edited December 2011
    I ditto DanielleD7782. It was a big help to me in picking out a reception venue. I would also pick up any free magazines at Davids Bridal or anything you can get your hands on and flip through them and go from there. You can also try search TK in your area to give you places.
  • brih86brih86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using Tall Timbers in Reynoldsburg.  They allow you to bring in your own alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on June 11, 2011 thats my wedding date too!

Try Scioto Reserve, Columbus Art Mueseum, Ohio Statehouse, Franklin Park Conservatory, the Athletic Club, Athaneum, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using the Loft at Smith Bros. which opened last August - they too allow you to bring in your own alcohol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there a specific area of town you would like to be in to be close to your ceremony site?  That will help narrow down places, too.
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • CLECyclistCLECyclist member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ceremony will be at the Park of Roses, so around there would be good - No more than 20-30 minutes away. Franklin Park is my dream site, but we couldn't afford it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will pick up some mags when I am visiting Columbus.

TTC since October 2011.
    Missing RIGHT tube due to a prior surgery to remove cyst-zilla (40 lbs!) at age 12.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Myroni, awesome!! I am surprised to have a date twin :)

TTC since October 2011.
  • edited December 2011
    If it's a small wedding, North Bank Park is really cool!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! Has anyone had any experience with Clintonville Women's Club? I like that it's BYOB!

TTC since October 2011.
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I've been to many luncheons at Clintonville Women's club. It is pretty, it would be very convenient. At least for the luncheons I've been to, the food prices have been very convenient. I had a luncheon there as president of an organization and they were easy to work with, food was good, prices good.

I would definitely contact them.

• BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was choosing a venue,  I had an appt to meet with Clintonville Woman's Club, but ended up finding another place before that.  We wanted to get married outside, and I didn't love the outdoor space at the Club (from pics), but if you were doing Park of Roses, that wouldn't be an issue. My mom didn't want to deal with bringing in alcohol and the responsibility of that, and since she is paying the bills, she got to call the shots, but that is a way to save a TON of money, so that's a plus. :)  I never saw the inside of the building, just the pics on the website, so I have no idea how it really looks, but for convenience's sake alone, I would check it out. 
    Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • edited December 2011
    It's a little out there, but the Darby House might have the feel you're looking for.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our reception at Little Turtle Golf Club in Westerville. The room can fit up to 200 I believe, and it has glass walls overlooking a patio and pond. There is also a fireplace in the room which has the dance floor in front of it. The dance floor isn't huge, but will work well with the amount of people I will have attending (about 130ish). There are wood beams on the ceiling that have white lights wrapped around them. The event coordinator seems very helpful and energetic, which was something else I was looking for because I don't live in Columbus... so I'll need all the help that I can get keeping everything organized.

Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!

TTC since October 2011.
  • aldavisaldavis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_finding-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:fb5b653f-cc8c-4a91-90bf-a011c9d6a19cPost:c7685b50-35bf-4890-a85f-b1cc82a1131f">Re: Finding a Reception Venue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try the Ohio Bar Assoc. 
    Posted by abbieandron[/QUOTE]

<div>I emailed them 2-3 times last summer and never got a response.  I'm not saying don't go for it if that's what you want, but you may have to keep on them.</div>
    A
  • edited December 2011
    The Hoover Y Park allows alcohol inside, and they're very flexible re: catering, etc. Prices are pretty reasonable, too.

http://www.ymcacolumbus.org/hoover/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards