Michigan-Detroit
Options

Labor Day Weekend?

So, pretty much all of the advice is to avoid planning a wedding near a holiday which I can totally understand for say Christmas or Valentine's Day.  However, my FI likes the idea of a Labor Day weekend wedding on Saturday.  We do have a lot of OOT guests and we thought it might be nice for them to have the extra day before they have to return home.  If we give them enough notice, we think that most of them will be able to attend.  I also know of at least 3 other couples that have had Labor Day weekend weddings.

What do you ladies think?  Does anyone know why the experts say not to have a wedding during Labor Day weekend?  (Is it just a matter of people having prior plans or are there other factors like cost and/or rooms booking up?)

Thanks!

Re: Labor Day Weekend?

• Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on what your families do.  Most of mine for example goes camping that weekend and they wouldn't give up their trip... they are serious campers.  Also, I know in some locations airfare, gas, and room rates rise a bit but if you book way in advance with expedia or something you can offset the rises.  So, to answer your question, I would see what your (and your FI's) parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc typically do and see if they could make it for then.
  • Options
    missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had originally wanted memorial day weekend, but after feeling around with our family it seemed most had plans they do every year. (Travel out of town to visit other family, some go to florida) Also like above said...usually air fare/hotel is more. If your family wont mind...then go for it. WE changed our date because alot of our family grumbled about the date.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As PPs said, check with your families.  My family usually desn't do much for labor day, but I know some people are avid campers and won't gve up that annual trip for a wedding, no matter how much they love you :)

Also, travel costs can be more.  Ultimately, ask your family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem. Our wedding is 4th of July weekend. My parents usually host a very large party that weekend, so our thought was that 98% of the people invited usually come to my parents party anyway.  We put out some feelers and everyone thought it was great, especially our OOT guests. So we went with.  Depend on who you're dealing with! My thoughts are the people that are going to be there will be there no matter what.  So far we have had about 40 replys come in. (In 2 days) all responses are yes!
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MMRoberts, do an unofficial headcount before making your plans. Personally, we don't do anything that weekend, and everyone who lives out of town comes here to visit. Plus, it's before school starts in Michigan.

My wedding is 8/27/11. I found out by emailing my cousins in CA that CA schools start in AUGUST! So they can't come. Who knew? That's the kind of info you only find out ahead of time by asking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1) The other people that you know that are having Labor Day weddings -- will you have mutual guests? 
    2) Do you know if anyone already has annual plans?
    3) Would you want to give up a holiday weekend for a wedding?

I totally understand that it can be helpful for OOT guests to plan a wedding during a holiday weekend that they already have off... but I would poke around to see if it'd be a good or bad idea within your family/friends. My family is invited to a wedding on the Saturday of Memorial Day and my Dad is pissssssssed (but my mom's obviously forcing him to go). Every year we go up to our cabin and invite around 15 people (enough to play volleyball!) and it's a big deal since it's the first weekend of the year we go up, etc. He's contemplating driving up after the reception and FI and I are thinking about joining him (since we won't know almost anyone at the wedding). 

So I feel bad that while we should be enjoying a wonderful and beautiful wedding my Dad is going to be looking at the clock and wondering when he can leave ]:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    With absolutely no offense to the ladies on this board having holiday weddings, because everyone does what is best for them, I am not a fan.

If I am invited to a wedding, I usually want to attend.  And I dislike having to choose between my usual holiday plans and a wedding that I would like to attend.  Family weddings on holiday weekends bother me a bit less than the weddings of friends, since my plans that weekend would normally be with my family.  Attending the wedding of a friend that weekend requires a choice between my family and friends.  I don't like it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our friends got married on the Saturday of Labor Day last year and we were a little peeved about it but it was fine. We came home on Sunday to try and avoid traffic.  The wedding was in Petosky.  That is a pretty touristy area... and the hotel was still only $89...so it really just depends  They only had about 110 our of 150 people show up though :(
  • Options
    lanejanelanejane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married Memorial Day wknd 2012. It depends on your family/friends. I know my family doesn't do much around that holiday except MAYBE have a cookout in the backyard so trading that for a wedding isn't a biggie.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Personally, if someone didn't want to come to my wedding because it intefered with their grand plans, I would say don't fret over it and good riddance. The people who love you and truly care for you will be there no matter what.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.  You've really given me something to think about.  Now I just have to discuss it with FI.  On a side note, I apologize for always being so tardy in responding.  Unfortunately, I can't get to the knot discussion boards from work and lately, I've just been too tired to get to them in the evening.  I really appreciate all of you regulars taking the time to respond.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards