Michigan-Detroit

In need of unique indoor ceremony location in Howell, Mi

I'm getting married at the Opera House next August, but I don't really care for their on site ceremony space (It's in the reception area and people would have to sit at their tables). We would love an outdoor space, but we all know that Michigan's weather is unpredictable at best, and since it's the beginning of August, I don't want the guests melting in the possible heat.

So, my question is: Does anyone live in the Howell area and know of unique indoor ceremony spaces? It would also need to accommodate quite a few people if necessary. The guest count is 150, and it will be immediately followed by the cocktail hour and reception, so a good chunk of the guests will be at the ceremony~ 

We've looked into All Saints Chapel, right across the street, but it's a little too traditional for our vintage-chic wedding theme. The location is perfect, but we would like to check out other options before we commit to something that traditional. 

Thank you for the help!!

Re: In need of unique indoor ceremony location in Howell, Mi

• I went to a court reporting conference at the Johnson Center at Cleary University. The prefunction space was nice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Johnson_Center_Cleary_University_Livingston_Campus_Howell_Michigan.JPG

http://www.mylegendaryevent.com/pdf/Johnson Center Profile - Cleary.pdf

In that pdf, it's the bottom picture on page 5. I have no idea if they do weddings or if they allow ceremonies without having the reception at the same place.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm also having my reception at the Howell Opera House and am looking for a ceremony space for my July 2013 wedding.  I was hoping to have my ceremony outdoors.

I received information from Crystal Gardens about their ceremony space.  You can rent their open-air chapel (http://crystalgardenslivingston.com/chapel.htm) without having your reception in their banquet hall. It's pretty, but it's pricey for a Saturday wedding.

I also thought about the Howell Courthouse amphitheater / lawn for a ceremony space since it's within walking distance of the Opera House. I'm not sure on rental pricing/availability though.

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has ideas!

• I have a friend getting married at Crystal Gardens 3 weeks after me (her and her FI got engaged about 6 months before Jon and I) and even thought we're getting married 1st, I don't want to step on her feet by using her venue :( 

I loved the idea of the amphitheater, but we checked it out and it's pretty close to the road, so the noise is an issue- I've seen too many episodes of 4 weddings where they complain that nobody could hear the ceremony because of traffic or other noises, and I don't want that to be a distraction for guests ;)  I didn't think about the lawn though... I assume you mean the large space in front of the Courthouse where they have outdoor activities throughout the summer? That could definitely be an option for you- it's really pretty there! But I would still prefer something indoors- just so that if it decides to rain, or if the weather is blisteringly hot,  don't have to scramble for a backup plan :)

Hopefully someone knows of something awesome! And, if I think of anything else outdoorsy, I'll put it on here for you to check into!  
  • Not sure if this is also too traditional for you but a little farther away option - Hartland Music Hall.

I'm having my ceremony there, it's quaint and holds 200. Also very inexpensive - $95 / hour!

• I just reached out to the Howell Conference & Nature Center - online at http://howellnaturecenter.org - about renting their grounds for my outdoor ceremony and it looks like they have indoor lodge spaces that they rent as well.  Maybe that could be an option for you, Laurakristine32?

• I heard back from the Howell Conference & Nature Center and they no longer allow weddings on their grounds.
  • Thanks for letting me know that, Sarah :) That was really nice of you to let me know what you found out! 

I'm still looking around... haven't found much luck in the 'unique' department, but I'm not going to give up yet~ Everything is either a little too far away for guests or incredibly expensive :( 

Thank you for the help everyone! I really appreciate it :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards