Michigan-Detroit
Options

Tuxes

I brought up tuxes to FI tonight at dinner and asked him if he would prefer to bring along his guys with him or for just him and I to go alone.  He then asked me why I was going with him at all...

I didn't think that tux shopping was the same as bridesmaid dress shopping, but I suppose I could be wrong.  I feel like I really want to be there and make sure everything is the right color!

Any insight?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tuxes

• Options
    edited December 2011
      If it's ok with you that he would take his buddies instead of you, it should be ok for him to go alone. I would just give him a swatch of the color you want for the vests/cummerbunds/ties and ask that he show it to the people helping him. I'm sure they won't let him leave with some crazy color. Or look online and give him some options of colors that would go with the wedding colors and write them down for him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have gone crazy if I didn't go with FI to pick out the tuxes. I also had to color match his vest and shirt with my dress and and it's sash. I was nervous about that so it made us both more comfortable that I was there and picked out what matched best for that. He picked out the blue color he wanted for the GMs and I matched my BM dresses to that color.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Todd and I went yesterday.  I can't imagine any of his groomsmen wanting to go or caring about what we ended up picking.  While what he decided on isn't my first choice it's what he wanted to wear so I went with it.  I made sure to keep my opinions to myself until I knew what he liked/didn't like.

I took the swatch of fabric with me but in the end it won't end up being the same shade of green.  But ultimately it's not going to be that noticeable so it's not that big of a deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I guess when I asked if he wanted his guys to come along I meant that I would also be there, lol.  I don't think he caught that part.  I made the suggestion more for fitting and renting purposes, but I didn't realize that he'd want to go ahead and pick everything himself.  I think I will just persuade him for both of us to go together :)
  • Options
    lcsnowflakelcsnowflake member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that its the one thing he really has a say in and I would give him the freedom to pick out at least the style.  There was actually a similar conversation on the "Attire" board about the bride wanting grey tuxes and the groom wanting black. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A slight threadjack here: should I have a swatch of fabric from my bridesmaids dresses to match things to?  I don't, and now I'm worried about finding vests that match.  I've feeling like a negligent bride.  And if you're supposed to have such a thing, where do you get it?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with Dave too! I had to make sure all the colors were right and not just close enough :)!  We went with men's warehouse and you have up until 2 weeks before the wedding to change colors so that made me feel better too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our dresses are from David's Bridal and I have a little booklet from there with all the colors, so I planned on using that.  We are probably going to go with a corresponding color different from the BM's dresses though (which is especially why I want to tag along).  I do recall a bridal shop I went to that had a huge booklet of swatches, maybe you just request them from there?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!

And to answer your question: no, I don't think you're crazy for wanting to tag along.  I think its ultimately his decision (as long as it matches, et.c) - but that you need to be there to make sure it matches!
  • Options
    GwenwhyfareGwenwhyfare member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with DH because he's indecisive and I ended up picking out the guy's tux's. I think we were in there for maybe an hour and a half, and most of the time was DH and FIL getting fitted.

OP -- The Tux shop we used (Brighton Tux) had compatible colors to Davids Bridal and we didn't have a problem with colors...
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the guys should be in charge of picking out their tuxes. They're just tuxes. Do you not trust them? DH didn't want me to go with him and I was fine with it. I gave him some swatches and he went with my brother who was a huge help. I would just let your FI go by himself. If he wanted, would you allow him to go bridesmaid dress shopping? There was no way DH wanted to be involved in that so it wasn't even an issue when he said he didn't want me to go.
  • Options
    lovetruly06lovetruly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
      I think it's ok to want things to look pulled together, but since the guys are one ones who have to wear them, they should get to wear what they want.

I went with ken the first time he went looking for a tux and I will again, but he's color blind and didn't want to go look for one on his own, so it's kinda different. But he still found suff he liked on his own, and he told the sales people he couldn't see color and they were a big help to him. I honestly think he could have gone without me and done just fine. But i don't really care if everything matches as long as everyone is comfortable.

I think the girls on here got it right, if he really wants to go with just his friends, just give him a swatch of fabric or some photos to go off of and build on and let him make the choice. Or get one of the parents to go with them (if its possible). That could be another option.
    image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mark wanted me there, he doesn't trust himself! He and I went together, the one he picked is the one I liked and then all his groomsmen had a deadline to go get fitted. We live out of state and our bridal party lives in various cities, it was just easier that way.  Deadline was today and 2 of the guys still haven't gone! boys! grr
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards