Michigan-Detroit

Wedding CRISIS

Hello everyone,

I am getting married Sept 18, 2010. My fiance and I were suppose to be getting married in Niagara Falls. Unfortunately his family have just decided that they can't afford to go, so I am forced to change our wedding plans and have our wedding here in MI. I have no money set aside to change my wedding plans, because everything was to be paid off next month in Niagara Falls for only 600.00 which included our location, officiant, photographer, cake, and videographer. I am forced to plan all over again with no extra money to spend. I stay in St. Clair Shores and still want a private and intimate wedding outside on the water, but do not know where to begin and what I want is not available. I'm devastated and do not know what to do. Any suggestions or ideals. HELP PLEASE!!!!! Cry

Re: Wedding CRISIS

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't change a thing! This is what you guys wanted to do! Have your original wedding and throw a party when you guys get back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Can you get married in Niagara with just the two of you and then come back and have a reception at a later date? 

Not saying it can't be done by September, but if you have nothing set aside, unless you want to put off your wedding until next year, I'd just go get married then have a party at some sort of banquet hall when you get back. You can probably get away with just calling it an anniversary party instead of a wedding reception and maybe save some $$.

Don't compromise, because you'll just end up regretting it.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with what the other girls.  Don't compromise what you already have planned.  Could you maybe offer to pay for their hotel for one night so they could make the trip?  Not sure if that's an option but it may help.  Good luck!  Let us know what you do.
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    While I agree that you should get the wedding you want. I know it can be extremely difficult to cut out family members, especially if they are close. I wanted a Vegas/Beach wedding, but when my grandma couldn't travel (due to surgery) I went for the huge wedding here at home.

If you need to change your plans here are suggestions:

Blossom Heath (The park, not the venue) is a beautiful venue (not on the water, but close) that is open for weddings for residents of St. Clair Shores (or who have parents that are).

Veterans Memorial Park is right on the water in St. Clair Shores. A permit is 75 dollars.

Mack and Rays is a venue right on the water that does both ceremonies and receptions.

Gino's is another venue in Harrison Township that is on the water and does both.

There are a ton of venues (reception) that are really close. If you need big spaces (ie over 50 people) there is Barrister House/Gardens in St Clair Shores although I find them to be kinda shady! There is also Zuccaros (a family owned place that is AWESOME and CHEAPER!) in either Clinton Township or Chesterfield.

Photographer: I recommend Tammy Labar because she rocks. But she may be booked.

For cake, depends what you want. Costco has AMAZING cakes. Josef's is the big bakery in the St. Clair Shores area, they are in Grosse Pointe.

hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    Also...

If you are willing to go out to Clinton Township, there is an AWESOME park that has streams, fountains, trees, flowers, etc. called George George Memorial Park. This is where I will be getting married. When it came down to having a wedding outside, I knew I needed a place with shelter in case it rained. GGMP has a huge pavillion that is amazingly beautiful.

Then Zuccarro's is right down the road if they are available for your date.

Let me know if you need more information.
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree, if that's where you want your wedding, i strongly suggest looking into other options for the family to attend.
    maybe look into renting a larger car to save cost so everyone can travel together. Go onto hotels.com/priceline.com/expedia.com and look at low cost hotels.
    i say, if thats the wedding YOU AND FI want, go ahead and do it. Maybe the family is testing you to see if you'll compromise. maybe once they realize you won't, they'll fork up the $ to be able and enjoy this time with you.
    Maybe put a budget together for the family, hotel price for maybe just a 2 day weekend, schedule, etc.

If that's absolutely not an option, try looking into Metro parks, SCS's and do a reception there too, under their tents or whatever.
    or try a local park , some have pavilions you can rent out

i see that a lot of ladies do DYI's to cut cost.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • queenfm85queenfm85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. It is YOUR wedding day and you should go with your original plans. While family is important, your happiness should be first. Also, Sept is still like 4 months away, how do they know they won't have a little money to travel to NIagara by then?
    Danielle & Tyler

10-10-10

"God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited image 41 Getting Crazy image 10 Party Poopin image 75 MIA
    RSVP Date: September 10th
  • edited December 2011

The park in front of Blossom Heath is called Wahby Park. It only costs $75 to book! I am getting married there next July! It isn't right on the water, but has a man made river running through it!

• edited December 2011
    Ditto PP. This is your wedding. You and your FI should do exactly what you wanted and then have a small reception in the backyard of someone's house or something. Don't compromise, you'll just end up regretting it.
  • edited December 2011
    Who from his family can't come? Like his parents and siblings or extended family?

I certainly wouldn't change plans that have already been booked/paid for unless its someone like his parent's that can't come. And it may actually be cheaper (and easier) for you guys to pay for a few plane tickets than to rearrange your wedding plans.

Look over your contracts, and their cancellation policies - add the costs of planning something here. Then see how much it would cost to get the must have family out to Niagra.

I would have FI talk to his family and explain that not only would it be difficult to rearrange your plans a few months out, but the costs of doing so makes it impossible.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • queenfm85queenfm85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is kind of unfair for the parents to ask you to rearrange your plans because they cant afford it, knowing you'd be losing possibly even more money in the process.
    Danielle & Tyler

10-10-10

"God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 126 Invited image 41 Getting Crazy image 10 Party Poopin image 75 MIA
    RSVP Date: September 10th
  • JandBFall2010JandBFall2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone here. Have your wedding in Niagara and do a reception here at a later date.

If you can't afford a wedding here, than don't stress yourself out trying to do it. Plus September is such a popular month that most likely everything is pretty well booked around here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards