Michigan-Detroit

Hand Cancelling Invites?

I've heard a lot about this but what exactly is it?  Is it really all that necessary/worth any extra hassle?  And I've also heard that it's a hit or miss with the post office as to whether they will do it for you.  Anyone know of any metro-Detroit POs that will do it?  Preferably in the Royal Oak area.

Thanks ladies :)

Re: Hand Cancelling Invites?

• edited December 2011
    Hand canceling just means that a person will use a rubber stamp to stamp over the postage stamp and cancel it.  (Can I use the word "stamp" a few more times?)  The whole point of this, I guess, is to prevent it from going through a machine.  The invites will end up going through several more machines, but it's one fewer if it's hand cancelled.  This would probably make the most sense if you had ribbons, embellishments, or something else that made your invites dimensional.

That being said, I did have mine hand cancelled, but that was just because I took them to my local post office, where only 3 people work.  I knew they would do it for me.  It's probably not necessary and if anyone gives you a hassle (or tries to charge you for it!), I'd just hand them over and forget the hand cancelling.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my STD's which had bows on them hand cancelled at the PO on Mound north of 12 Mile in Warren........when I asked, first they ran them through this cardboard "sizer" they have to verify the postage due to size, as well as weigh them. After putting the postage (gold ring stamps) on them, I gave them back to her with a rubber band around them and she set them aside......... assuming they were hand cancelled, as everyone got theirs and I had no one say they were torn.

I didn't pay extra for this, but I've heard some brides say it costs extra.
  • edited December 2011
    Liz- so glad you asked this! I've heard about hand canceling but usually just nodded my head like I knew what it was!
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Grand Rapids, and the post office near me said they would charge 20 cents more per invite.  Ummm, no thanks... I just sent them out the regular way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Liz, I'm wondering if this is what the 3 different post offices are telling me with the 20 cents charge?
    PITA if you ask me. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards