Michigan-Detroit

A couple of questions...

Our wedding is May 22.  On here, it says to mail invitations 3 months in advance.   Other websites have said 6-8 weeks.  Should I wait to mail the invitations?  3 months would be, like now...

Also, our ceremony will be in Northville, but the reception is in Plymouth.  Would love to have a limo to transport everyone in the wedding party but limo companies usually have a minimum of 2 or 3 hours..we will not need it the whole time!  Unless, the additional time does get used on other things for some reason that I'm not thinking of.  The ceremony and reception are only about 10 minutes apart.  Or should we just get a car that will take my finance and I only, and everyone else can drive themselves to the reception? I found a limo company that can take 8 people for min. of 2 hours. that would work, we just wouldnt be able to take all of the wedding party. We have 5 on each side... Ideas?

:) thanks for any input ladies!
Nicole

Re: A couple of questions...

• edited December 2011
    Our wedding is May 8, and we're mailing our invitations next month around the 2nd week of March since our RSVP by date is April 17... If they are ready to go, you could probably mail them now, but whatever works best for you. Hope that helps!

As far as the limo, I don't have any rec's there, because I have no clue what we're doing yet!
  • edited December 2011
    I would suggest mailing your invites out in the next couple of weeks. You need to give your guests a little bit of time to figure out if they can even attend. I'll be getting an invite in the next week or so for a June wedding. You should have your RSVPs back at least 2 weeks before the wedding so you know how many people are coming and what the food count is. If they are ready, definitely get them out!

As far as limos go, I had a hard time with this as well. Every company wanted $500+ for only 3 hours. How long do you think your ceremony will be? Ours is starting at aroun 4:30 pm and we need to get there earlier than that for group pics. So the total time we have the limo for is 3 hours, but in actuality, we'll be in the limo for maybe a total of 40 min. It is nice to have your BP in the limo and hanging out all together, but if the ceremony and reception are only 10 min apart, you may want to nix the whole limo idea and just save your money.

If you are still wanting a limo, we are using A Dream Limousine based out of Canton and the owner gave us a really good deal for the party bus. I know he has other limos as well. Let me know if you want his e-mail address and/or his phone number!
  • ms nobodyms nobody member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    most recommend 8 weeks out. 3 months is excessive in my opinion unless you're sending invitations overseas. 

8 to 10 weeks is plenty- even if your RSVP date is 4 weeks out.
    Bio Update 4.25.10
    imageimage
    Amanda Williams Photography
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_couple-of-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:856b56c0-4cf0-4903-93f8-461b7a2a5eaaPost:401f3099-5ae7-4fc7-bcec-8c243b32600c">A couple of questions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is May 22.  On here, it says to mail invitations 3 months in advance.   Other websites have said 6-8 weeks.  Should I wait to mail the invitations?  3 months would be, like now...
    Posted by swtniki82[/QUOTE]

I say 6-8 weeks. Start with the date your place needs the # count by (most likely 1 or  2 weeks out from May 22). Then back it out another 1 or 2 weeks for your RSVP date. I think that would put you in March to mail (?). Or ask the May 2010 board how they're doing theirs!
    June 19, 2010
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding is May15th.
    I'm using 8 weeks out as the last possible date to send them out, & hoping to have them out by about 9 weeks...We shall see, there is still a lot of assembly to be done ;)
    **Beth**
    Old Planning Bio
    FOR SALE!!

May 15, 2010
    image image
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    6-8 weeks before the wedding date. 

What I did was took the date my reception venue needed the final head count and went back a week. Made that my RSVP date. And then planned to mail them about 6 weeks before that. That will give the invites enough time to arrive and the guests time to make their plans.

FWIW I dropped mine in the mail today for our May 1 wedding (rsvp date is April 10). Technically a few days over the 8 week mark but I wasn't going to get that crazy about it and I was excited to get them sent out.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards