Michigan-Detroit
Options

Confessions/Vents

Re: Confessions/Vents

• Options
    edited December 2011
    WHY THE EFF DO WE HAVE TO FIND A NEW OFFICIANT?!? ... again. 

Thanks to lack of communication we decided to choose another officiant. Our first choice was our pastor when Dan and I volunteered in Texas and we asked him in December... April comes around and he sends an email about how family friends from Russia or somewhere came into town and he totally forgot he promised to marry their daughter in San Antonio on 11-11-11 so we were SOL thanks to him not writing it down.

Then we asked Dan's Dad's cousin (or some relative like that) that I've met a few times - one being Dan's grandma's funeral and I think that if you can do a funeral service well, a wedding should be no problem - and he was on board. Well, a million calls and voicemails later, he can't be reached. He was planning on driving up (from OH) with Dan's Dad and his Dad can't seem to get ahold of him either and I don't want to wait until the last minute to find someone (Okay, actually I think THIS IS the last minute, but whatever). Soooo that sucks. I've sent some e-mails but I want to have sit-down "interviews" to see if we click with people and whatnot. But argghhh that's the only thing that I can't shake. Everything else about the planning I'm not trying to stress about. 

Now off to work!

EDIT: Just read an email from a possible pastor and OMG, I love him already, haha I started crying tears of joy... I'm getting maaaaaaaarrried! Hope things work out, haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Milsey you're adorable :)   Everything will work out.

VENT: I AM WORKING 81 HOURS THIS WEEK! FML.  I like my job, but not that much.

Confession:  I feel awful that I flipped out on FI again last night but I am sick of a lot of things he has been doing.  He can't manage his finances, which affects both of us.  He doesn't realize how much it affects me, so that drives me crazy.  Clearly, because I have been so rational lately, I blew up at him last night.  I hate to say it but sometimes I wish I wasn't the primary money maker and would have he option to only work part time when we have kids.  I am sick of the pressure, especially when I work on straight commission so my money is not guaranteed.

I also confess that I have been job searching so FI and I can move back to west Michigan asap.  I don't want to tell a ton of people for 2 reasons. 1. I don't want my current job to know I may be leaving. 2. I don't want to deal with the disappointment if I don't get certain job. 

And last confession/vent.  FI and I have officially decided to start actively trying to start a family.  We know I have fertility issues, and we want to have kids while we are still in our mid 20s so it is the right choice for us to try now.  I hate that I can't talk to a lot of my family about it because they are the type that think we should wait until we are in our 30s to try.  To me it feels like it is not worth the argument.  We have both been on our own since we were 18, completely financially independent and we will be married when we have kids so really it is no one else's business. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mrs0toBeMrs0toBe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck Ally!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ally - and good luck with the job search and baby making! 
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I am still triying to figure out everything on my new Samsung Trender.  Still not getting the music thing down and I really dont want to have to purchase the music (AGAIN) as well as the monthly subscription for the service!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-58?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8becabc5-9a6d-408e-8b6b-e39e20fdff6dPost:3733d8af-fb76-4c2a-a3dc-2c2e2b35ab0c">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Ally - and good luck with the job search and baby making! 
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

Thank you :)  I have an interview on Monday in the perfect location, for a company I have been checking out for years and for a position I really really want.  The downside is, I know it is usually a position that is promoted from within the company. 
  • Options
    empowderempowder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I feel like I'm stalking the owner of a venue.   She won't call or email me back and it's been 3 weeks.  The problem is that I feel like we need to get the venue booked.  So we're looking at a bunch of alternatives, but they still feel like altenatives.  I really don't want to settle for something else and then find out our preferred venue was really an option. 

If this is how this process starts, I'm a little afraid of the next year.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-58?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8becabc5-9a6d-408e-8b6b-e39e20fdff6dPost:b2a16ca4-0fb8-4051-8987-63a5bb56f5d2">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like I'm stalking the owner of a venue.   She won't call or email me back and it's been 3 weeks.  The problem is that I feel like we need to get the venue booked.  So we're looking at a bunch of alternatives, but they still feel like altenatives.  I really don't want to settle for something else and then find out our preferred venue was really an option.  If this is how this process starts, I'm a little afraid of the next year.
    Posted by empowder[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be too worried yet about getting your venue booked, you do have over a year.  FI and I started booking things 10 months out for our October wedding, and we got our first choice for every main vendor.  October is becoming more popular but things arent quite as urgent as you may think. 

I would be worried that she isn't getting back to you though.  Our original choice for a limo company had our date available but they wouldn't get back to us. My attitude was, if this is how they act when I am trying to write them a check, how will they be once they have my money?  Keep looking for venues, if this place really does have terrible communication, I'm sure a better one is out there. 

What venues are you considering?
  • Options
    empowderempowder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement.  It's easy to get wrapped up in the rushing.  I agree with you about her communication.  I'm ready to laydown some serious cash and she won't call me back.  I'm worried that this is how hard it would be to plan with this kind of service, but building is so lovely...sigh.

Our first choice is the Rowland Cafe in the Guardian building in Detroit. We'd prefer to stay within the city of Detroit.  We're looking at the Gem and the Players. 

Outside of Detroit, we're looking at Cafe Cortina in Farmington Hills and the Pine Knob mansion in Clarkston.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-58?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:8becabc5-9a6d-408e-8b6b-e39e20fdff6dPost:09580ce1-d0fc-4778-9312-43e95c65c2a9">Re: Confessions/Vents</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the encouragement.  It's easy to get wrapped up in the rushing.  I agree with you about her communication.  I'm ready to laydown some serious cash and she won't call me back.  I'm worried that this is how hard it would be to plan with this kind of service, but building is so lovely...sigh. Our first choice is the Rowland Cafe in the Guardian building in Detroit. We'd prefer to stay within the city of Detroit.  We're looking at the Gem and the Players.  Outside of Detroit, we're looking at Cafe Cortina in Farmington Hills and the Pine Knob mansion in Clarkston.
    Posted by empowder[/QUOTE]

I wish I had suggestions on some venues you are considering, but I'm not familiar with most of them.  FWIW  Pine Knob mansion is beautiful and I have heard great reviews about weddings there. Looking at the ones you are considering, have you checked out Meadowbrook Hall in Rochester? 
    I really wouldn't rush this decision, especially if you may be slightly flexible within a week or two of your date.  I love my reception venue but I made the decision very quickly.  One of my cousins had her wedding at the place I chose and it was nice, I also liked the simplicity of our package options.  Looking back, I would have made a different decision if I spent more time on it (be prepared for that feeling, it is common when planning a wedding).
  • Options
    littlepetalslittlepetals member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just want to throw out I'm getting married at Pine Knob Carriage House and they have been wonderful to work with! :) Good luck on your venue hunt and don't worry... whatever is meant to be will work out! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards