Michigan-Detroit

Confessions/vents 8/30

What do you have to share?

Re: Confessions/vents 8/30

• Confession:

My friend (who is my MOH) got married on Saturday and had a BEAUTIFUL wedding.  Like, so beautiful that I'm feeling EXTREMELY insecure.  My FI's eyes popped out of his head when he saw her dress (very simple but GORGEOUS) and her DJ kicked ass and she had a super fun photobooth.  My dress is the complete opposite of hers, and while I know we have an awesome DJ (Mike Staff - Kevin Joynt) I'm afraid people will be bored at our reception because we don't have a photo booth.  I keep telling myself that people have had fun at weddings without photo booths for years, but I'm just afraid that it will be boring.

Also, I bought a REALLY expensive pair of brown leather boots that I absolutely love.  Now I'm thinking I should take them back because I shouldn't be spending that much $$ before the wedding.  I tell myself I can buy like a $100-$200 pair this year and get these boots next year, but then I feel like I'm wasting the money I spend now on boots...maybe I should just use this as an "investement"?  I'd wear them for years...I just don't know if now is the time.

I'm a hot mess!!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My future sister in law called me yesterday... she said that she needed to run somthing by me.  Eventually she told me that she wanted to have a "special dance" with her brother, my fiance, at our wedding.  She went on to say that she had already called our DJ and set it up and just wanted to make sure that I was okay with it.  I was shocked that she would not only plan this without my knowledge, but that she would expect this whole situation to be okay.  Personally, I think that having multiple planned dances at the wedding gets very boring for guests - we have all sat through them numerous times trying to be attentive.  My fiance and I have tried to keep the dances to a minimum - our dance, with our parents, and a dance for the whole bridal party.  I feel as though my FSIL is out of line with this and it is just not something that I am comfortable with.  This is my wedding, for her to say that she wants a special dance it makes me feel like she is taking that away from me.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-830-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:973d20f3-76c1-4eb5-965e-76608b0dec7cPost:ae297371-cec0-4f33-ac8d-a0f61f51c723">Re: Confessions/vents 8/30</a>:
    [QUOTE]My future sister in law called me yesterday... she said that she needed to run somthing by me.  Eventually she told me that she wanted to have a "special dance" with her brother, my fiance, at our wedding.  She went on to say that she had already called our DJ and set it up and just wanted to make sure that I was okay with it.  I was shocked that she would not only plan this without my knowledge, but that she would expect this whole situation to be okay.  Personally, I think that having multiple planned dances at the wedding gets very boring for guests - we have all sat through them numerous times trying to be attentive.  My fiance and I have tried to keep the dances to a minimum - our dance, with our parents, and a dance for the whole bridal party.  I feel as though my FSIL is out of line with this and it is just not something that I am comfortable with.  This is my wedding, for her to say that she wants a special dance it makes me feel like she is taking that away from me.  
    Posted by jamieandlarry[/QUOTE]

Whoaaaa what did you say to her??  I think you should be straight up with her and tell her that you're trying to keep the dances to a min, and that she can dance with him at the reception, but it won't be a "spotlight" dance.  And THEN I'd call up the DJ and tell him that is is absolutely NOT to give them a private dance, no matter what.  If he doesn't announce it, it doesn't happen.  That is ridiculous.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I told her exactly that and she started crying saying that it was important to her and that she wants him to know that he is special to her... I was so shocked by the situation that I didn't really give her an answer. 
    I contacted the DJ and explained the situation to him - he said that he would play the song and dedicate the song from her to him.  If they happen to dance, they dance. If not, then it was his confusion, not ours... I'm not sure that is the best solution.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_confessionsvents-830-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:973d20f3-76c1-4eb5-965e-76608b0dec7cPost:83064b90-b44d-49e3-9641-77fd7f6437fe">Re: Confessions/vents 8/30</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions/vents 8/30 : Whoaaaa what did you say to her??  I think you should be straight up with her and tell her that you're trying to keep the dances to a min, and that she can dance with him at the reception, but it won't be a "spotlight" dance.  And THEN I'd call up the DJ and tell him that is is absolutely NOT to give them a private dance, no matter what.  If he doesn't announce it, it doesn't happen.  That is ridiculous.
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • So, we ended up changing to a different church for our ceremony. I'm OK with it now, but I was pretty upset the other day. What basically happened is the original church did not return any of my phone calls, after leaving messages (even with the priest) and getting the run-around. I received attitude each time I called, and could not even check if the date I wanted was available until I jumped through hoops for them.. which I did by the way!  I have been trying to schedule an appointment/speak to the priest and reserve our date since the beginning of July for next August. I gave them another couple of weeks, then called back again the other day only to be told the date I wanted was already booked with another wedding.

This church I wanted had sentimental value to me, because I was baptized there and it has been in my mother's family for years. My grandmother was a member, and her funeral was held there. I wanted to honor her by having it there. That's primarily why I was upset, but the rude treatment I received and poor communication from the church regardless of my date not being available has led to me to decide to go elsewhere. First impressions really do say a lot, and I got a bad one from them. If they are this poorly organized now, I'll be worrying about it up until the wedding.. and God forbid we show up on the day of and they don't have us reserved! Sheesh. I'm so over it, and I'm happy with the other church choice.

Well, that's pretty much my vent!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • I am not the best when it come to writting NWR notes - I wrote three of them today for the interview I had a Baker College yesterday.

Yes three!  Seems like all of the colleges have three to four people conducting the interviews these days.

I was happy that someone finally recognized my volunteer work thru the Daughters of the American Revolution!  I heard that it was good to put volunteer work down but because many don't consider it a "REAL JOB" they completely ignore it.  I explained that some of the things I did in the various offices I held (registrar, chaplain and webmaster) had me utilizing many of the skills I had on my resume.
  • $2400 later my transmission is fixed. I realized that it's a better investment to get the car fixed and enjoy not having a car payment for a few more years. Just sucks that such a big expense has to be paid 3 months before the wedding =(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards