Michigan-Detroit
Options

Question about Alterations

Hi,

My dress is in and  I went to pick it up from David's Bridal. I'm only 5 feet tall so i ordered a petite dress and even though the dress is petite, it is still a little bit long on me.  I asked how much it would be to shorten the dress and  I was quoted $120. Is that how much other alterations places charge ? Can you let me know of other places where i can get it altered.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question about Alterations

• Options
    jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Marianne that works out of bombshell bridal charges barley anything to shorten the dress. I'd call them for her number!
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For my wedding dress which I also got from David's Bridal I'm having to get alterted and bustled through Marianne at "Bombshell Bridal" in St. Clair Shores. It's only going to have to cost me $75 which is in my budget and a very resonable price! I  would definitely call her and set up an appointment and see what she says and can do for you good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Definitely go elsewhere!  David's Bridal isn't exactly known for its alterations ablities : )  I don't have any recs for places to go (I got mine altered south of Toledo), but if your dress is lace, that explains why the price is SO high, though.  They remove the lace trim ege from the bottom, shorten the dress, then put the lace trim back on the dress again to add the finished edge.  Much more work, so higher price!

• Options
    edited December 2011

Definitely at least get quotes from other seamstresses.  I've heard DB over charges, which doesn't surprise me.  In terms of what a reasonable price is, it really depends on the material and how many layers there are.  One layer, satin dress...that would definitely be high but not neccessarily if it is lace, or has lots of layers. 
    I am also 5 ft. tall so I can totally relate to nothing being short enough.  We ordered my Maggie Sottero gown 3 inches short (the maximum allowed) and with my ~4inch Guess high heels, we probably need to remove 1/2 an inch to an inch max.  In terms of recommendations, I'm fairly useless because we are having my alterations done in Lansing because my mom is the one footing the bill and she thinks it is SO convenient to have it near her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    scgonzalscgonzal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the info! I've made appointments with Marianne  and also with Bella's Alterations. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm just going to throw this out there because I've found a wonderful seamstress through this whole wedding planning deal. :)

Her name is Patti, she works independently and with Once Again Bridal in Clinton Township. She has you come to her house and is EXTREMELY reasonable! I almost fell over when she gave me the total cost of my alterations. She is a very sweet, kind, down to earth person who genuinely cares about you and the look of your dress.

For her number, please message me and I'd be happy to give it to you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards