Michigan-Detroit
Options

So, highlights of your holiday weekend?

Wondering what everyone got as gifts for the holidays......

- The best present you got?

- The best present you GAVE?

- Best thing that happened during the festivities?

(and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why?)

Re: So, highlights of your holiday weekend?

• Options
    The best present you got?  Probably my gardening gloves my MIL gave me.  We have major thistle issues in our yard and my hands and arms got torn up this summer trying to pull it out.  So she bought me these specialty gloves that go all the way to the elbow and they are thick so I won't get poked!  She also gave me a book on weeds.

The best present you GAVE? Ha!  MIL wanted some wedding photos printed so we did but we also printed an 8x10 of Bella since they don't have any pictures of their grandcat.  Everyone got a big kick out of it.  Plus my 1 year old niece thought it was an actual cat so she kept turning the photo over and around lookin for the rest of the cat.  She also pet the picture.

Best thing that happened during the festivities?
    Getting to spend it with DH.  We've been together 7 years and this is the first Christmas we've ever spent together.

and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why?
      ILs gave us a bunch of candy so I would probably return that.  DH is trying to eat healthier but he has a major sweet tooth and can't say no!
  • Options
    - The best present you got? - I'm really happy to have received a dry erase board & bulletin board to help with organization from DH, but there's some stuff he hasn't given me yet because it hasn't arrived yet. Everything else I got was expected/asked for (my brother bought us vitamins, my sister got me a purse, my mom bought us the 3-sectional hamper on our registry, etc.)  OH! And I am REALLY happy about a thermos MIL bought me. It sounds silly but it's neat (and purple!):

- The best present you GAVE? - My siblings and I bought my mom the Kindle Fire. She was really excited and when the wrapping paper displayed the word 'Kindle' she shouted "No way!" it was really cute

- Best thing that happened during the festivities? - I actually didn't mind hanging with my ILs for 5 hours! I love his cousins, particularly his girl cousin that was there since it's the closest thing to him having a sibling. She's so fun! The only "bad" thing was feeling awkward when his aunt talked about my big boobs. She doesn't have a filter.

(and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why?) - Well, I received 2 shirts from ILs and at first I thought I wouldn't like them but after trying them on last night I like them. I would never buy them for myself, because I usually buy solid tops (maybe stripes?) but never really patterns/designs and that's what they both were. I was surprised. :-)
  • Options
    The best present you got?
    DH got me Kate Middleton's Burberry coat and a new big check scarf. He makes fun of me because I constantly talk about how much I love her style and he wanted to surprise me. He buys the best gifts :)

The best present you GAVE?
    It was a small gift, but I was most excited to give DH his UGG slippers because he loves comfy slippers and he's been wearing them non-stop.

We had a pretty uneventful Christmas this year. Everything went as planned. No drama, no food disasters, no terrible gifts.

My mom got me some bacon presses. I feel bad returning them, but I don't like flat bacon.
  • Options
    - The best present you got? FI got me a Canon Eos Rebel T3 Camera =) I'm sooo excited to really try it out!!!!!

- The best present you GAVE? Hmm...Probably everything. Best was watching the joy on our kids faces opening their gifts.

- Best thing that happened during the festivities? Eating. Lots of eating. And family.
  • Options
    My mom surprised me with a Kitchenaid Pro 500 Stand Mixer, engine red. I have named her Maude. Words cannot explain how happy I am with this thing. My previous mixer was hand-held and would get REALLY hot when I turned it on. Only irritation is with Fedex for leaving it on my front porch when I wasn't home. They could have put it by the back door, I live on a super busy street. I'm so lucky nobody stole it. 

Since we are saving for our wedding, we were forbidden from family members to give them any presents(besides the white elephant gift). But I made a batch of Sugar Scrub and gave each female in our families one. They loved it. 

I take White Elephant gifts VERY seriously. The crazier, the better. I found this hideous statue that looked just like Falcor-neverending story flying dog- when that gift was opened, the look of shock and horror was PRICELESS. It's definitely going to be a gift that is regifted each year. 

A bed pan. I swear to god it looks like a bed pan from the 1800s that doctors used to bleed out people. It's hideous. My grandma says it's a pan to make caramel corn in, but I'm pretty sure it was intended for blood or bullets. ::yuck::
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Probably the Pandora-type bracelet & charms from FMIL. Her feelings about me change like the wind and the tides, so I was really touched that she was this thoughful toward me.

Although the gift tag said it was to me and FI from the cats, I made a photo calendar for FI with our E-pics and vakay pics and it had all our friends and families pics on their bday and he actually CRIED while looking through it. It was awesome. Best part? It was free from Davids Bridal. The cats' free gift won Christmas, HA!

Probably when FI cried. Im so glad he loved the calendar!

Actually, nothing. I got pretty lucky!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
     The best present you got? I have the dearest hubby ever (much like Klyn1983).......he used up the balance of the Macy's giftcard my California family got us as a wedding gift on a Kitchenaid stand mixer. WOOHOOOO!! You have no idea how long I've wanted one, but could never justify the money it cost. Now, all I need is a stove that works all the time (long story, but we need a new one), and I can be the happiest little cook!

Also, LOTS of "work clothes" as my family calls them. I work at home 100% of the time, and my yoga pants & hoodies get a real workout from being worn all day, every day. So now I have some new stuff to wear out.

- The best present you GAVE? We are turning one of our basement rooms into a sports/movie room, and I got a HUGE framed picture of Comerica Park at Target to put in there for Kevin. Also, surprised my daughter with a Garmin GPS and a light up makeup mirror. She loved both.

- Best thing that happened during the festivities? Having my prime rib dinner turn out perfectly. Sadly we have a bunch of family that doesn't like their meat at all red, and I didn't have to pop the meat into the microwave to finish cooking any pieces, LOL.

(and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why?) Not a darn thing.
  • Options
    I got a brand new coach purse that my step dad picked out, it is super cute and I love it!  DH also got me  a new hair dryer and flat iron because I am constantly bitching about mine.

We gave my birth mother a "made in Michigan" basket where almost everything was made in West Michigan, but at the very least, it was something from Michigan.  She loved it.

My borther's girl _____friend, totally fit in with the family and had a great time, it also looks like they are becoming more than just friends.  It was also very special for me to have a private conversation with my Grandparents, because usually they are 30+other people in the house.

Technically I returned clothes because of size/comfort.  However, my whack job aunt bought me 12 pairs of socks...and that is it.  I am not greedy and saying she didn't spend enough on me, but seriously 12 pairs of plain black socks in a gift bag.  They aren't even the style I wear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_highlights-of-holiday-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b6c15734-0753-4499-875d-58c01d414a61Post:df9c8874-596e-47f7-bc01-b237ee82788d">Re: So, highlights of your holiday weekend?</a>:
    [QUOTE] The best present you got? I have the dearest hubby ever (much like Klyn1983).......he used up the balance of the Macy's giftcard my California family got us as a wedding gift on a Kitchenaid stand mixer. WOOHOOOO!! <strong>You have no idea how long I've wanted one, but could never justify the money it cost.</strong> Now, all I need is a stove that works all the time (long story, but we need a new one), and I can be the happiest little cook!
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here! It's something I've wanted, but always found better uses for the money. I just have to find a home for it since it's too big to be in our small kitchen and it doesn't fit under the cupboards (or on top for that matter.)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The best present you got?  I got coach Sunglasses that I am super excited about. I can't wait to wear them on the Honeymoon.

The best present you GAVE? I usually love everything I give. I try really hard to give only good gifts. My favorite was the cook book I made. Everyone loved it and people asked for copies who didn't get it. 

Getting to spend Christmas Day night just fi and I. I also loved seeing my 16 month old niece open gifts.

I am returning a few gifts but just because of size issues. Otherwise I really liked everything I received.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The best present you got?  My aunt sewed us girls hand bags from my grandmothers wedding dress, and wrote us a sweet note and a picture of her wearing the dress.  We all cried and I am so excited to be the first granddaughter to use it!!

The best present you GAVE? Every one liked their gifts. I think helping my dad get all the gifts for my Mom and then we she said she wasnt returning one and his excitement was the best gift I gave..helping out!

Spending time with both our families was the best. 

Just one gift. It was my fault asked for the wrong cd, so I can only blame myself. The rest of the gifts were great!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    The best present you got? Like Klyn and Sue, I got a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, and its pink :) from FMIL! FMIL has a history of giving me pretty thoughtless gifts. For my birthday ( 1 week before we got engaged) she got me a blank journal. that was it, it was obviously a regifted item, so I was in absolute complete shock to get this, and very touched, because it was something i really wanted.

- The best present you GAVE? I put a lot of thought into all my gifts I give, but I think I was most excited for my mom to open the keurig coffee maker I got her.

- Best thing that happened during the festivities? It was FI and I's 5th Christmas together, but the first one that we spent the entire Christmas Eve and Christmas Day together. It was the first time FI came to my family on Christmas (he has a job where he works a lot of holidays) and it was just fun to watch him fit in so well.

(and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why?) nothing! I actually like everything I got, which is shocking!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Favorite Memory-Finding out his sister is expecting and is due in June so no conflict with wedding yea! We are jewish but always spend Christmas together as a family and it was nice being with my family and my FI.
    Favorite Gift I got- My mom got me new uggs that I had been wanting for months and also my FMIL got us a pottery barn gift card since we just bought a house!
    Favorite Gift I Gave- We do a secret santa kinda thing with my family and I had my cousin who just had a baby and I got her and her husband a gift card to a resturant and a certificate to have me babysit for free one night!
    Dating since we were 19 and finally getting Married! Engaged November 24th 2011 and Getting Married August 26th 2012! Jillie and Cole! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The best present you got?  I got a Kindle Fire from FI.  I love to read, but I read fast, so buying books is a waste on me.  My local library rents ebooks out, so I super excited to have a Kindle.  :)  Also my FMIL got me a beautiful statue that is engraved.  I don't remember the whole engraving, but it basically said that she thought of me as a daughter.  I almost cried when I read it.

The best present you GAVE? I gave my neice and nephew a Gameboy Advance and some games.  It's not the latest and greatest Gameboy, but omg they loved it. 
    They just kept going on about how much they loved it.  I think I out did their mom and santa.  Ooops!!

Getting to spend Christmas Eve with FI.  We normally visit Fi's family for the days around Christmas, so it was nice this year to just spend Christmas Eve with each other.

I got a t-shirt from FMIL that just doesn't fit.  It's a cute t-shirt, but way to big.  And I don't really wear normal t-shirts anymore.  If I wear a t-shirt it's a baby doll or a women's cut t-shirt.
  • Options
    - The best present you got? The Black and Decker toaster oven my FI and I wanted.  It is amazing.  (I feel old being excited about a kitchen appliance).

FMIL a book I designed on mixbook of our e-pics.  She was crying so much looking at the pictures and love quotes.  She kept bringing it everywhere to show people.

The alone time with just my FI and our dog.  It was great to just cuddle on the couch watching some older movies and playing a bit with the dog.

(and if you are snarky.........the one gift you would return and why
    ?)
    Like Liz, candy we got from my mom.  Every holiday I tell her not to get me candy but she always buys so much of it.  I'll admit, I regifted some of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards