Michigan-Detroit
Options

Do we need a Day of Coordinator?

Hi ladies! I'm interested in your opinion on DOCs -- especially from brides who used one or didn't use one. 

Our wedding and reception will be held in the same location. I've already hired all the vendors and purchased most of the decor. We reserved the venue for 4 hours the day before the wedding and will set-up all the decorations then.

I have been going back and forth on whether or not I need a day of coordinator. My mom is convinced that we can handle it on our own, but I'd really like the day to be as stress-free as possible.

Can you tell me, from your experiences and my situation, if you would recommend a DOC?  What did the DOC help you with? If you didn't hire one, do you regret it? 

Re: Do we need a Day of Coordinator?

• Options
    I was pretty anti-DOC, but I ended up having a friend do it for free and I LOVED it. While I set up the day-of timeline, hired all my vendors, etc. etc., on the day of the wedding I wasn't really focused on time, so my DOC was helpful in ensuring things stayed on track and everyone was where they were supposed to be. My florist was running a little behind and I didn't even notice it right away because I was so wrapped up in being the bride.

That being said, the fact that you are setting up the day before makes me feel like you've got a little more control over things. My hall/florist set up most of my decor, but my DOC was the one who made sure everyone showed up and that everything was set correctly. Since you'll be doing that yourself, I think that's a big load off as far as a DOC goes.

The only other thing a DOC is really good for is helping everyone stick to the timeline and making sure vendors show up the day of. My DOC had all my vendor #'s and they had hers. She was on the phone with them if they weren't were they were supposed to be or there were any questions. 

If you don't have a DOC, I would ask someone else to do this (like your MOH or mother). You should give them your phone in case any vendors call. It's not like you're going to want to keep track of the time or your phone that day, so having a back-up is helpful.

I think if you do have the extra $$ to have a DOC, it's nice, but it's certainly not necessary and I wouldn't break the bank for it -- as long as you have someone else kind of minding how things are going throughout the day.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend a DOC. I like you, planned the wedding mostly by myself. My DOC helped with set up of my decor the day of (some centerpieces, guest book, place cards, table numbers, menu cards, etc). Most importantly, she runs everything the on the big day. She makes sure that vendors come when they should. She is also the contact person in case vendors have questions so that you will not be bothered. The DOC makes sure everyone else (wedding party, family) is where they should be at the right time. You and her would've created a wedding timeline beforehand, and she makes sure everything runs accordingly. You don't have to think....she will tell you where to go and when. You and your family should be having fun and mingling on your wedding day. No one should be worried about whether it's time for the first dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss, etc. because the DOC is in charge of that. She also took care of break down after the event was over.

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Options
    I absolutely would recommend a DOC, especially if you have to set up decorations yourself!

I had 6 hours to set up stuff the day before my wedding and because I'd done so much DIY and there was so much chaos, not everything got done. I'm so very thankful I had a DOC the day-of to finish setting up the final details and to make sure everything was running smoothly. She made sure the groom and myself ate and drank stuff right at the beginning of the reception. We ran out of one kind of alcohol really quickly into the reception and she went out and got more. Totally worth every penny and I've said it a couple of times, but it was the best money we spent.

My DOC was Stephanie from Grand Jour Events. The owner Tammara was easy to coordinate with and Stephanie kept in contact with me the whole time and made sure I was getting her the info she needed in a timely manner.
  • Options
    You don't say if your venue is an "all inclusive", where they are doing the catering and setting up tables & chairs, etc, for you. That's a big help whether you have a DOC or not.

I had a ton of DIY, including centerpieces & candles, napkins with menus, table runners, stuff for the gift table, things for the chapel that then were moved to the reception venue, favors that had the seating cards attached (had to be placed in alpha order).

My venue only supplied & set up the tables & chairs and dance floor, plus the other tables for gifts & cake. I had a separate caterer, who was separate from the bartender, who had the wine & beer to bring.

We only had 2 hrs before start time on the DAY of the wedding, not the day before. However, our DOC did more than set up: she met with me and the venue to go over the seating/table arrangements, had a timeline I created with her help to make sure everything went off like clockwork from the time we all showed up with the photographer for our "first look pictures", through the end of the day when she, along with the caterer, packed everything up. Don't forget, setting up is not the only part of the reception: packing up and taking stuff home, including left overs, and anything you brought you want back like card box, centerpieces, vases, candles, etc. That's after the event, and to be honest, it was marvelous that I didn't have to ask my family or friends to do this, or worse, do it ourselves.

If you can arrange with a DOC for minimal involvement, no vendor securing or anything like that, you can probably afford one. Most have multiple packages based on how many hours you use.
  • Options

Hiring a DOC is my number one advice to any bride not already using a full planner. I did not plan to do almost any set up because all of the vendors were suppose to take care of it including my flower lady who also did all of the table center pieces. However, what I realized afterwards is that no matter what clear communication you had/have with vendors- the picture in their heads may be different. Also-most likely everything will not turn out perfect! For instance-my tables were not ready by the venue when they were suppose to be so the decs had to wait, vendors may not agree about things while setting their own stuff up, etc etc etc...Not only did I not want to spend time going to the hall the day of, I did not want myself or any friends or family to have to deal with any of the stress of changes or things not working out correctly. You can find low prices and it will make such a difference. It's not that you can't manage without one, you shouldn't have to manage anything!!!

• Options
    I also hired Stephanie by Grand Jour and I am so excited about it. I was on the fence about a DOC for a long time, but FI was in a completely disorganized wedding recently and he told me to hire one he didnt care how much it was. They confirm all your vendors, make a day of time line, put out placescards, favors, etc, It will be invaluable for clean up at the end of the night as well. I sure as heck am not cleaning up and dont want my mom and bridesmaids doing it either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My ceremony and reception were at the same location like yours is.  The ceremony was outside and the reception was inside.  Honestly, I wanted a DOC to help clean up and set everything up.  However, it wasn't in our budget and my MIL stepped up in the role. 

We had to set up the day of and since I did so many DIY items and basically did everything with the help of my then FI, I was nervous about having anyone else do the final set up.  I was planning on just going to the venue to set up before getting my hair done but my MIL knocked some sense into me and said I was crazy and that she'd do it.  So, I gave her pics and told her exactly how everything should look according to what I envisioned with all the stuff.  She listened and had to do some last minute changes that ultimately I was fine with and would have made the same choice.

If I could have set up the day before, I would have just done it myself and not worried.  However, I also like a crazy person decided to work the entire week of the wedding including the day before (I don't recommend it). 

All in all, it worked out in the end and honest if I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_do-we-need-a-day-of-coordinator?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:bd5592cf-d979-492a-bf1a-a7e23c204bf2Post:2fb0508f-6be0-48e7-8f4e-1f4c497ef7e9">Re: Do we need a Day of Coordinator?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My ceremony and reception were at the same location like yours is.  The ceremony was outside and the reception was inside.  Honestly, I wanted a DOC to help clean up and set everything up.  However, it wasn't in our budget and my MIL stepped up in the role.  We had to set up the day of and since I did so many DIY items and basically did everything with the help of my then FI, I was nervous about having anyone else do the final set up.  I was planning on just going to the venue to set up before getting my hair done but my MIL knocked some sense into me and said I was crazy and that she'd do it.  So, I gave her pics and told her exactly how everything should look according to what I envisioned with all the stuff.  She listened and had to do some last minute changes that ultimately I was fine with and would have made the same choice. If I could have set up the day before, I would have just done it myself and not worried.  However, I also like a crazy person decided to work the entire week of the wedding including the day before (I don't recommend it).  All in all, it worked out in the end and honest if I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

If you hire a DOC, you will not regret it.  It saves you a lot of worry and running around on the day of your wedding and gives you more time to focus on yourself, getting ready and relaxing with your bridal party.  I was so glad we had one.  She took care of all the decorating for our ceremony and even made all the aisle and ceremony decorations. She was fabulous, all I had to do was show up, which was perfect.  I worked with Tuoanyene from Exclusively Elegant Events. <a href="http://www.exelegantevents.com/Home_Page.php" rel="nofollow">http://www.exelegantevents.com/Home_Page.php</a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards