Michigan-Detroit

caterer needed HELP!!!

Im having an outdoor wedding (Tent) in Rockwood Michigan in September and all the caterers i have spoke to will not do "outdoor" weddings!  Im looking for normal wedding food (good food), but I do not want paper plates or plastic wear.  This is not a BBQ it is going to be very elegant but simple. Can anyone please help?????

Re: caterer needed HELP!!!

• OOO Interesting! Im right by Rockwood, but not intune with many caterers. I can suggest Fratellos maybe, but Im not sure being that its outside. Sorry I couldnt be more help! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm sorry I cannot help except to say that you should look at the vendor sticky and make a list of the caterers used and see if they are available and willing to do an outdoor wedding.

Google helps too. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Look into Joe's Produce in Livonia. They do catering, we considered them for our wedding and the food was really good, and reasonably priced.

Also, we used Holiday Market, which is in Royal Oak. They may do outdoors (they were willing to set up our food outdoors, but our venue did have a kitchen in it, which may have been the difference). I mentioned Joe's first because of the distance of Royal Oak to Rockford, LIvonia is closer.

I'm guessing it is the lack of kitchen equipment that may be the hold up for the caterers. They take pride in their ability to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, and that may be tough unless they have the ability to set up a portable kitchen.

Does your reception site have electricity, or better yet a kitchen? If so, that may need to be a part of the discussion you have with potential caterers.

Also, check in the Toledo area if you haven't already.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_caterer-needed-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:d3b9ba49-28a2-45fb-9dc6-62b25db7e159Post:3a07464d-8163-4143-9b24-05a6e725e67a">Re: caterer needed HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, we used Holiday Market, which is in Royal Oak. They may do outdoors (they were willing to set up our food outdoors, but our venue did have a kitchen in it, which may have been the difference)
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Holiday Market doesn't need a kitchen. We talked to them about the T-Plex and they said they were aware the T-Plex did not have a kitchen and that would not be a problem.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_caterer-needed-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:d3b9ba49-28a2-45fb-9dc6-62b25db7e159Post:9b7ef9c7-b2cd-429e-ba02-c30a80eccea8">caterer needed HELP!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im having an outdoor wedding (Tent) in Rockwood Michigan in September and all the caterers i have spoke to will not do "outdoor" weddings!  Im looking for normal wedding food (good food), but I do not want paper plates or plastic wear.  This is not a BBQ it is going to be very elegant but simple. Can anyone please help?????
    Posted by kriver[/QUOTE]
    Try Arnaldo's in Riverview. They have catered many things for us and they provide all the "real" stuff. They even have the full metal chafing dishes not the cheap disposable trays!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Try Kosch Catering. They're office is in Rochester but they do off premise catering and they have full china and silverware with waitstaff. They're doing our wedding at Stony Creek Metropark (because they don't allow outside catering there, except Kosch) and they're not too overly priced. 
    If you look under local vendors they're listed on The Knot.

http://www.koschcatering.com/catering.php

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's the deal on Kosch:
    I love the MetroParks too, but its terrible that you have to use Kosch.  I would check into Addison Oaks, they have a gorgeous park with Willow Trees lining the driveway and they don't use Kosch!  I know that on their website they have all these glowing reviews, as well as on Facebook, but do not listen to them.  Trust me, I have insider information, I run a unit and do nothing the way they do.  I would never use them for my catering.  Most, if not all, of those "glowing reviews" are made up, by them!  Cass is an awful person.  He was their "Chef," but as soon they acquired the MetroParks and business really increased, the "Chef" ran away from the kitchen and went to the office.  When he was in the kitchen, the staff called him the "Shortcut King" because why would you make it from scratch when it comes in a can?  I would be very leery if you do use them, and ride their asses to make sure you get what you want.  Insist on everything being fresh, because they do like to reuse EVERYTHING!
       We are also planning our wedding, and we stayed away from all the venues that are tied with Kosch.  I know they claim to have 31 years experience, but I have no idea how that happened.  Whenever I would help out the Catering Kitchen, I would make sure that all the guests knew I had nothing to do with the food, I make much better, fresher fare.
       Also, for the people doing their "BBQ": Most if not all of their product will be a forzen reheat deal.  Let's see, the Brisket is a frozen pre-made product, the Pulled-Pork is a frozen pre-made product, the Ribs come in pre-cooked, they sauce them and reheat them, the "BBQ Chicken" is a frozen pre-cooked product, and then they hit that with sauce.  The sauce is also not house-made, and they just mix various sauces to get the ones they serve, this reaks havoc on your digestive system as there is usually too much vinegars and sugars and oils.
    Hope this helps you guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards