Michigan-Detroit
Options

No Photography during the ceremony!?!? Advice???

a bit long...

So heres the deal. We found this church in Wyandotte we liked a lot (not using the church we attend once in a great while due to not a single isle)..but something about the contract made me iffy on going there. It said no photography was allowed during the ceremony, only walking up and down the aisle. I called and asked about this, spoke with the secretary/wedding counselor and she explained we could, except we could not use flash. Ok, great...so we went with this church. The pastor there will be out of town, so another pastor from another church was called to d our ceremony. We met with him the first time yesterday. During the meeting pictures were brought up...and he said NO photography is allowed during the ceremony! Our photographer is to stand in the back of the church in one spot (75ft aisle!) and we can get pictures coming up the aisle..but nothing after that. Afterwards we can re-create stuff for pictures.

I called our wed counselor today and she called him, called me back, said she explained to him what she told me originally,..and that he decided the photographer can sit up front somewhere in one spot, but still doesnt want pictures suring the ceremony. The counselor, however, said I can tell him to take a few pictures, just make sure there is no flash. She said it was that Pastors personal feelings about a wedding ceremony...not neccesarily theirs.

As a religious person...I understand he can see it as a sacred thing. I agree. But to not have any pictures of our wedding?!? And to tell me to "re-create" the moments later? Im not asking for the photographer to run around all over. I can totally see how he could stay in one spot, and I get no flash..all that can be distracting.

I am sort of upset about this, as in my mom and my FI. I was thinking just to tell the photographer stay in one spot, no flash, but tell him to still get pictures. Fi and my friend/wedding planner suggested calling our couneslor and asking for a diffrent pastor, or asking if we could bring someone we know that can do our wedding. Now, we have no ties to this church or anyone in it. I kind of feel like that would be a slap in the face...and was suprised FI was that quick to say that as he is very passive.

So what to do? any advice?? Has this happened to anyone? If so..what did you do?!?

thanks for taking the time to reading all of this!
Photobucket ~Kat~ wedding websites

Re: No Photography during the ceremony!?!? Advice???

• Options
    lashanda1lashanda1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thats crazy....  i dont think i have ever heard of that before.. ....I am sorry i dont have any advice but i really hope that everything works out for you and FI
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have NEVER heard of that.  That really doesn't make sense to me, to be honest.  I'm a religious person also but since when are pictures taking away from something being sacred?  I've seen plenty of pictures of baptisms, confirmations,ect all inside of churches.  

That's a tough call with the contract though.  Even though the secretary explained it to you a certain way, they should really be more specific in EXACTLY what they mean.  You signed a contract with the church, not with this specific pastor...so that makes me feel like the church's standards should be what you follow, not his personal feelings on the matter. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My church has the same rules.  Only photographs from the back of the church, luckily our photographer has a very long lens.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its a religious ceremony I have never heard of a church that would allow flash pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards