Michigan-Detroit

The cost of photography

My biggest problem with photography is the cost. I have 2 friends that both paid over $2000 (one closer to $3000) and it seems they came away with little considering how much they spent. So first I went to Craigslist. Tried a person named Matthew Pruitt. To be honest I couldn't tell if he really knew about photographing a wedding. Just way to dark and more interested in his individuality than in my wedding day. I would avoid this person for wedding photography.
The second person I tried was Donna Smith. She was nice but not so good. Her photography looked really dated. I'm starting to think using Craigslist is a bad idea.These were both in the Lansing area. The costs seem lower in Lansing but finding a good one for a reasonable price is hard.
There are 2 more that I have heard about I have looked into.
Town Square Photo and Amanda Williams. I have heard great things about both of them.
More on the interviews when I get a little time.

Re: The cost of photography

• Yikes! Honestly, I don't think you should use photographers on Craigslist. While there are some that are up and rising and really good, I feel like most are those are not so good. =(
    Personally, I was ready to pay whatever to get the photographer I wanted (oh gosh, I even set my date around her schedule). That meant sacrificing on other items, but I'm perfectly fine with it. To me, it's the pictures that last for years, not cakes or flowers. Good luck! =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Craig's List is generally a bad idea IMO unless you're looking for a place to live or goods -- and even then it's hit or miss.

I'm terrible to ask about photography budgets because I paid a ridonkulous amount (but was thrilled with the end result). But, in this area, 2K to 3K (maybe $1,500) has seemed to be a general average from what I've seen on the board.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Amy from Pure Amour is less than $2000, but I'm not sure how far she goes from the Detroit area. Her site says she charges a travel fee over 40 miles from her home in Oxford.

http://pureamourphotography.com/

It says her packages start at $800.

Cake! - June 2013
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AMANDA WILLIAMS!  I used her for my Nov. 10 wedding and she was amazing!  But she books really quickly.  She sent me 6 "teasers" at 11:30pm the night of my wedding - I'll have the rest in a few weeks but the ones we got are incredible (in my opinion).

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_the-cost-of-photography?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:dc4588c6-3fcf-4e6d-8f74-4fb2348bf255Post:00f5905a-d951-4f88-b3fd-54e10e362451">Re: The cost of photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]AMANDA WILLIAMS!  I used her for my Nov. 10 wedding and she was amazing!  But she books really quickly.  She sent me 6 "teasers" at 11:30pm the night of my wedding - I'll have the rest in a few weeks but the ones we got are incredible (in my opinion).  
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

So happy everything went well for you two and congrats!  She is our photographer as well and we have felt so fortunate to have gotten her when we did.  You're right though she books up fast and is already locked in for some dates in 2015!
  • I agree with meegles.  I'm not a fan of craig's list for stuff other than what she mentioned.  I understand you can get lucky with vendors there as some are just starting out but it honestly most likely won't be that great of a deal.

We went with Larry Roels of LWR photography.  We paid $1000 for everything.
  • I was very pleased with Amy Pruder and paid under $1,000.

She's really evolved as a photographer within the past year, since I signed my contract. You get great value for your money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards