Michigan-Detroit
Options

Vintage wedding shoes

Hi ladies!  I'm looking for a really unique pair of shoes for the big day.  I'd love to find something reminiscent of the 40s, 50s, or 60s in a light color (champagne, light blue, light green, yellow, etc.). I'm going to visit Mother Fletcher's in Ferndale and Lost & Found Vintage in Royal Oak.  Has anyone else had luck in the metro Detroit area finding shoes like these?  Anyone know of any upscale vintage shops that would have shoes like these?  Thanks so much for your  help!

Re: Vintage wedding shoes

• Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shoes of the 40s had more of a choked vamp with a tapered, not pointy toe and a thicker heel, as the steel spike hadn't been perfected yet.

For the late 50s and early 60s dressy styles were mostly 2" (mid-heel) or 4" (high-heel) spikes, with very pointy toes. Often patent leather, often with a bow or ribbon or some other decorative bit at the toe. Light colors tended to be bright (Easter-eggy) to pale pastel. (Handbags always matched.) So you might even find a current shoe that looks like that.

By the late 60s, the chunky low block heel and square toe had taken over (to balance off the micro-mini skirts and geometric A-line dresses).

IWhat size do you wear? In addition to the suggested shops, you might find shoes at a Salvation Army store or flea market. I'd love to see what you find!

• Options
    elkayelkay member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, poke around on eBay. There are a lot of vintage clothes vendors there who often have great stuff - you can search by approximate era and other details.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards