New York-Hudson Valley

Off Season!?

I am just curious how many people are having an off season wedding, and what they're getting in terms of bargains...My wedding is set for February 4th, 2010. It's in the middle of winter (ya can't get more off season than that), and it's on a Thursday evening.It is a small event, for 45-50 people, being held at a restaurant, and the only "bargain" I've managed to get so far is $1.00 off per person unlimited soda.Am I doing something wrong here? I thought having an off season wedding should save me TONS of money, not just $45...What's the deal?

Re: Off Season!?

• edited December 2011
    Hi there, and congrats! Unfortunately, I don't think restaurant prices fluctuate based on season - you'd be more likely to score a great off-season deal with a traditional reception hall, which probably won't work with the size of your event (I know, I'm having a smaller event, too, though a bit larger than yours, and debating between a hall and a restaurant). You still might be able to get a better deal with any vendors you might be working with, like a florist or baker, but I'm not really sure. Good luck!
  • mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Have you signed contracts at the restaurant yet?  I don't know what you're paying there, but it would be safe to say (for sure) that you would find great off-season, off-day (Thursday) deals at a catering hall.  Many catering halls have smaller rooms in addition to the large ballrooms to accommodate exactly what you're having (in addition to birthday parties, communions etc.).  You should also find a great deal from DJ's, and photographers.  I'm not sure about the other vendors, but I would think that your florist and limos would give a discount.  I am getting married on a Friday in April, and it saved me minimum $5K (that's just on the per person price and the number of persons minimum).  The deals are there, you just have to look around.Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I decided to go w/ the first Saturday in November vs October because the per person price at my hall dropped $20 each, and the minimum went down to 100 (we were planning on 150 anyway but its nice to know we aren't worried about meeting a #).I didn't get any deal with a photographer based on the date, or with the transportation. Haven't contacted any other vendor yet.I think it is bc you are working with a Restaurant - if weddings aren't their primary business then they probably don't care about it being wedding season or not.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree that a restaurant probably wouldn't be as flexible as a catering hall. We went with the first friday in November and are saving a lot, just like a pp. Also, doing it on a Friday made it cheaper and made the minimum less. We were also able to negotiate our limos down, but I don't think anything else.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with everyone else, its probably due to the fact you're having it in a restaurant.  I'm getting married March 20th and we were able to negotiate alot into our price pp.  Even before negotiating with them we were down about $20-30pp (wedding is a Sat. night) vs peak season.  I'm sure if we wanted a Fri or Sun we could have gotten them even lower.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!I haven't signed a contract yet, so I'll just keep looking around for now.As far as other vendors, we're not using a limo or a florist, and I haven't sat down with a photographer, DJ, or baker yet, those are happening in the upcoming two weeks.Thanks again for the input - I really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards