New York-Hudson Valley
Options

my uh oh moment

we just received a thank you from a wedding we went to in august. uh oh. i got married in july and haven't even thought of doing thank yous until i had a break from work. what do/did you plan on doing? picture thank you or a classic thank you with a small photo and a card? im stumped!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>

Re: my uh oh moment

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did a classic Thank you note. (I ordered them when I ordered my invites so they were the same style).  I included a small picture that I got from the photographer.
    I had them out a month after the wedding.

If you do 10 a night, it's not that bad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got ours from our photographer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i havent even started my wedding album yet... im so bad. im just nervous that its gonna take forever to get the pictures. what is standard thank you time by the way?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we already have our pictures. we got them about a month after the wedding. we ordered our photo album already as well, should have it in two months or so.

our thank yous were regular thank you cards that we just wrote in. we had them out wihtin a month of our wedding.

you know that you should have them out by next week right? that's your three month mark.
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:26857db6-149c-45f0-88da-d2e455f7f116">my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]we just received a thank you from a wedding we went to in august. uh oh. i got married in july and haven't even thought of doing thank yous until i had a break from work. what do/did you plan on doing? picture thank you or a classic thank you with a small photo and a card? im stumped!
    Posted by nybride10[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat it!  First, to answer your question, i did a photo collage thank you from wedding paper divas.

I was married in October, didn't get the CD with my photos until February so they were not going out any sooner than that...wanna know when they went out....MAY!  Everyone told me not to send b/c it was too much and they didn't need one...of course, that is not me...i was also pregnant, etc. but that is when i did it.  don't sweat it.

I know etiquette tells you other stuff and i am BIG on writing Thank Yous for stuff...anything actually...but the whole thing is the thought and the fact that you write one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's definitely time to do them. I've started to notice we didn't get a thank you from the 8/6 wedding we went to yet. We were married 11/6 and ours were out by the end of the month.
    To the pp who took 8 months to get out thank yous - I'm sorry, but that's pretty rude.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we got married in June and still didnt do ours yet... 
    We are doing photo ones, and they should be ready in a week or so, and then i will start working on them . 

we did the stuff for our video but havent worked on our album yet... the pictures arent going anywhere, and there are ALOT that we like so eventually it will get done, I am not sweating it. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i hit ya up on the nest ;)
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used these:

http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/product/6403/signature_white_thank_you_cards_inspired_thanks.html

And we got married in April, and our invites went out 3 months later. I think you're good =)
  • Options
    jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think three months is pushing it, anything longer is just plain rude. i would try to get them done asap.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did personalized letters and included some photos in with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are getting photo ones from our photog but a classic one is ok. You can always send out photos if you want to people later when you get them.

also....FI and I still haven't received a thank you from his step sis' wedding in Feb or even from her shower which was  in Nov or something.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am a little crazy about getting thankyous out fast...so I had mine out in five weeks.  I had my shower thank yous out in three days...geez.
    We got the wedding ones from photographer, but I wrote in each one.
    I will say that my sil did not get hers out for 5 months and everyone in my family thought it was pretty rude.However, I think that can be standard?  Also, I went to a wedding in early June and haven't received one yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    etiquette says three months, anything longer is just plan rude. personally i think three months is even rude, which is why ours were out in less than a month. but i'm neurotic like that lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was in May and I had my Thank you's done by the end of August. 

My photographer was excellent about getting the thank yous to use right away, but she is a friend. We worked on those before I did anything else. And then I miscounted and had to order more of them.  I understand there is an etiquette, I was under the impression it was 3 months out. 
    I hear so many stories of girls getting held up by photographers waiting on their pictures, but I think most people understand this nowadays.

I went to a wedding in April and still haven't gotten a Thank you.  :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I answered on TN but as a repeat, we ordered wallet sized photos from our photog for DH's side (my side does not traditionally send photo thank yous) and I ordered regular note cards with my invitations.  I had my side out within 1 month and his side out within 2 months (including waiting for the photos).  I do not agree that people have up to a year to send a thank you.  Let's be honest, you'd be annoyed if someone waited a year to give a gift so I can be annoyed you'd wait a year to send a thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:9b24ee68-22d4-4dfb-bb0d-9b050922055d">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]I answered on TN but as a repeat, we ordered wallet sized photos from our photog for DH's side (my side does not traditionally send photo thank yous) and I ordered regular note cards with my invitations.  I had my side out within 1 month and his side out within 2 months (including waiting for the photos).<strong>  I do not agree that people have up to a year to send a thank you.  Let's be honest, you'd be annoyed if someone waited a year to give a gift so I can be annoyed you'd wait a year to send a thank you.
    </strong>Posted by rblucy[/QUOTE]

Def agree- a year is totally crazy.
  • Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A year thats def to long...
    But 3 months as the cut off unless u are rude?!?! really?

Well then I guess I am rude...

• Options
    jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:74aad7a7-6354-4fdb-ab13-903ac6cb124c">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]etiquette says three months, anything longer is just plan rude. personally i think three months is even rude, which is why ours were out in less than a month. but i'm neurotic like that lol
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I'd also like to comment to some of the other posters that just because other people have waited 6 months or more doesn't make it OK.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was 8/6/10 and I just ordered photocard Thank Yous from Vistaprint about 3 days ago.  They have shipped already! Between honeymoon, newlywed stuff, and getting back to work it can be difficult to get it done.  I plan to complete them in a week's time, because I have time on my hands right now to do them.  I  just want to get them done, because I can easily procrastinate on it. 

I went to a wedding in April, and I don't believe I got one. I hadn't really thought about it and I don't consider it rude.  I know my gift was appreciated and they thanked us at the wedding. Not sending something at all though, would be rude.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a photo card thank you from our photographer. It's a really cool "summary of the wedding" with about 6 pictures from that day.

And we (or I guess I) am writing a personalized note in each one. DH is doing a great job of signing each one though!

Not that that means anything, but figured by going with photo cards it would buy me some time.

I always read that the three month mark is standard.

Half of ours were out by then. The others I NEED to do this weekend to hit the four month mark.

I did them in groups at a time. The only ones we have left are the immediate or close family and they know we are busy. (And that we see frequently) Not that that's an excuse, but wanted to get the "distant" ones done first.

My mom and sister are still waiting on thank you from a spring wedding that has just hit the five month mark, so they understand.

(Note to self - sign off of theknot and work on thank you cards)
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:aa56807d-48b5-40c5-b9a4-5681136a364a">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]A year thats def to long... But 3 months as the cut off unless u are rude?!?! really? Well then I guess I am rude...
    Posted by Midgette[/QUOTE]

well, i guess I am rude.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    meh. I still think 3+  months is fine. Some people need to loosen up.
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:e589aa23-d734-4e35-a9ea-332ff405bd75">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]meh. I still think 3+  months is fine. Some people need to loosen up.
    Posted by Just Jen[/QUOTE]

Not really. People take time out of their lives to spend a very special day with you. They travel, buy new clothes, book hotel rooms, and give you hundreds of dollars as a gift. The least you could do is take 2 minutes to write them a freakin' thank you card inside of a 3 month window.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will say that a couple had a large change (move/pregnancy/new job) I might not be as disappointed to wait for a thank you.  But if I knew you were a teacher and not working all summer and it still took forever, I'd be annoyed.  But I was also annoyed that SIL wrote a one line thank you card and handed it to us.  And I'm still waiting for a thank you for a baby shower from May.  She had the baby in June, I got a baby announcement in July, and I just got an invite to the baptism.  You could make baby announcements and plan a baptism (where I will have to give another gift) but you couldn't write me a thank you?  Some people just have different opinions about thank yous though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Give me a freaking break - how ridiculous. I would not think anyone rude for not sending in within 3 months. In fact, I don't believe I've ever received a thank you in 3 months. I find that I get them more like 4-6 months out.

A year is definitely rude, by then I have surely forgotten about your wedding. But you mean to tell me if you receive my thank you card 3 1/2 months after my weddin date  (instead of 2 or 3) then thats rude end of story? Come on now...

• Options
    MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:e589aa23-d734-4e35-a9ea-332ff405bd75">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]meh. I still think 3+  months is fine. Some people need to loosen up.
    Posted by Just Jen[/QUOTE]

<div>too bad there isnt a like button, cause i would def click it!! ;)</div>

• Options
    ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_uh-oh-moment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:55195db9-6242-4c4f-8861-912dd3213e7dPost:26b54807-b982-4b6b-b0c9-b0a3598d1fdd">Re: my uh oh moment</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: my uh oh moment : too bad there isnt a like button, cause i would def click it!! ;)
    Posted by Midgette[/QUOTE]

this rude one would too! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try to get them done as soon as you can. It's always nice as a guest to get the thank you. I went to a wedding LAST October & just got the thank you THIS September...almost a whole year! And on top of that it was just a picture...nothing hand written, no "thank you for sharing in our special day", no "thank you for the gift"...NOTHING. That was pretty stinky. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards