Massachusetts-Boston

Would this be totally wacky?

most of you know I am anti-floral centerpieces, not because I don't like them but because we want to spend our money elsewhere (like open bar!).  I am having a HORRID time finding non-floral centerpieces that I like, and my paper lantern idea failed miserably. It looked like a bad 1st grade art project.  Even my crafty sister couldn't make them look good.  Originally, we wanted to do mini cakes on the tables, but we were quoted $80-125 per cake, and we will have 22-25 tables.  At that price, I would buy flowers!  What we are thinking now is that maybe we should do candy centerpieces.  Kind of like a candy buffet in black, turquoise, orange and white, but on the table with various glass containers.  What do you girls think? I am clueless when it comes to this stuff!!  TIA

Re: Would this be totally wacky?

• edited December 2011

I think it sounds really interesting not wacky , would you do one large container of candy in the middle, or a few smaller containers with different candy/colors in each one?
    Would you have containers for people to take candy home or would it be for table decorations/to pick at?

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a really cute idea!  :)  You could do a different candy on each table & put a little bag at each place setting to encourage people to make the rounds and visit other tables to fill up their bag.  Love it!

We're doing non-floral centerpieces too--Moroccan lanterns.  They were super cheap, and go with the atmosphere in the restaurant.  I don't think you have to do flowers just because that's the norm.
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I think that sounds really cute! Rock candy comes in those colors and would look really pretty. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
  • Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea! I think it would look interesting to have maybe 3 different jars with different candies for color and size variation. Or you could pre-package the candy as favors and arrange a display of them in the center. 

And now I'm picturing cupcake towers in the middle of tables that people could eat at their leisure or take home...Someone please do this and invite me to your wedding so I can sit and eat cupcakes all night. Pretty please??
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea, except if you put different candy on each table, will people have to walk around to try it all?  I think as a guest, I'd prefer the same assortment of candy on each table (or at least like 3 different assortments).  But then I'm picky... :)

Regarding centerpieces though, you know you don't have to pay a ton for them?  Ours are costing about $40 each from a florist.  I also was looking at Whole Foods and they sell really pretty, simple arrangements that are like $20 each (but don't deliver).  That might even be cheaper than candy.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with noodle.  I went to a wedding where they did this and although it is nice to interact with others at the wedding it was just weird and uncomfortable when people I didn’t know were reaching over me (while I was trying to eat dinner) to get the type of candy that was on our table.  I would suggest doing a mix on each table.  I think that would be cute. 
  • edited December 2011
    As someone who had both non-floral centerpieces, and a candy buffet - I love this idea! I agree with the PP's though, you may want to stick to a small arrangement of each candy at the same table - I know if I was at a wedding, and being the fat kid* that I am, if someone had mini peanut butter cups at their table, and I had none at mine, I'd create a horribly awkward social situation... anyways, I also love jkepros idea of putting a bag or container at each place setting - they'd look so cute on top of empty plates!

I'm not sure what your theme is - but have you considered white garden lanterns? You could do some in different sizes - I know candlelight at our wedding REALLY contributed to the atmosphere, and created a beautiful glow in a lot of pictures (we had candles on every table).

*fat kid is slang in my group for a person who visits a buffet... often. It does not necessarily denote being overweight... just throwing a disclaimer in here :)
  • edited December 2011

Thanks girls! I plan on doing 4 different containers at each table, one for each color candy, but I would stick to 4 types of candy only. I too would feel weird grabbing off someone elses table! We will most likely leave a little note in the center of the table that says something like feel free to take some candy (obvs a much cuter poem, but I am so not creative right now!). Great idea with the to-go containers....maybe I will do chinese takeout boxes or something similar with a gerber daisy on the top.  You girls rock!

• jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I absolutely LOVE this idea and am kinda jealous I didnt think of it since I am taking on doing my own flower centerpieces.

Def different candies but the same at each table and LOVE the colors! You could do like really dark chocolates for the black and the sugar orange slices for the orange, just some sugesstions. Great idea!
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
  • lundarlundar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are cupcake centerpieces an option? Because I love that idea :) Yum!
  • edited December 2011
    i love this idea.  i think it will be even more amazing with a zillion candles too- i work PT for a catering company in NYC and one of my fave weddings ever had no flowers at all, just 390572357 candles everywhere.  so beautiful.
  • Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_would-this-totally-wacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:08fb736a-086e-44cd-85a4-7c96834e1662Post:619a39e8-1e92-4286-82fc-1949ab3b1da1">Re: Would this be totally wacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are cupcake centerpieces an option? Because I love that idea :) Yum!
    Posted by lundar[/QUOTE]

lund, anything is possible! Are you thinking of doing this? Because if so, I'll be there. ;) Seriously, who doesn't love cupcakes??
  • edited December 2011
    candle centerpiecethis is what we are doing, look like a lot right.  well its really just glasses in differnt sizes from ikea and instead of expensive rose petals we are doing loose orchids.  we are doing 12 tables for 350 dollars including the candles that are also from ikea!  i cant wait to see it all done
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards