New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Locust Grove - Poughkeepsie?

Thank you for all your lovely responses in my previous post! We are looking at Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie, any thoughts? We love that it's a historic site so the rental money kind of goes towards that, but we have to find our own catering, which if we chose more of a wedding venue we don't have to worry about that because it's all onsite... thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Locust Grove - Poughkeepsie?

• Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on what you really want....like you said you can pick something like this where you have to use a caterer or if you pick more of a wedding venue your menu is preset and you don't have so much to choose from. I like the option of being able to pick from a lot like you can with a caterer, but that's just me (and totally not what I'm doing lol) For something like this, because it is a big decision, I would really sit down with your FI and see what you both want.

Jaimie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jaimie, Unfortunately I think he's just as confused as I am! haha! He likes the idea that Locsut is a historic site though, so I feel like he's leaning towards there just because of that. I think we should look at other historic sites then since he's into them first. I'd hate to just look at one place and decide without looking at others too Undecided. I think he's ready to just decide on a place and be done with it while I'm a little more scared to commit to anything so soon hehehe!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Then ya know what I would do, look up the more historic sites that you're leaning towards so you have more than one venue to look at so you don't feel like you're missing something. Then I would also pick out one or two more weddingish venues so you can see what you like better. I always say this about clothes, but it applies here too, don't eliminate something until you try it on and see how it fits =)

Jaimie
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great advice, thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the Locust Grove and really wanted to have my wedding there but once I started getting estimates from caterers I knew that it was just going to be way more than I wanted to spend. I attended a wedding there and it was awesome. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I think we definitely need to price out everything...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

My FI and I LOVE LG! However, we went talked with the guy Kenneth and toured the actual room again. After talking to caterers as the previous post said - the cost is outrageous. They actually charge a lot even for off-peak being $2,500. Only upside is you are all in one spot and can take photos right there! I called around a lot and we checked out other places - we ended up going with Poughkeepsie Grand for our reception because their prices and packages cannot be beat!
  • Options
    jamiefourjamiefour member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am probably booking Locust grove.  I love that place but I have to work out the caterer thing.  My only reservation is that the room only holds 150.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our friends got married there.  They had it catered by The Would, who cater their frequently.  It is a lovely set up.  If you have the money, then you should do it.  I know our friends spent a lot of money though, between food, liquor, and the rental.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards