Massachusetts-Boston

NWR: Should I be angry??

So my bday is this weekend, and FI CLEARLY knows this...I wanted to go out with him and our friends.  We can easily get a sitter for the lil guy.  Well, today he comes home and tells me he is going to our friends' cottage in Maine to re-roof the house on Saturday.  Now, FI can't drive right now (different story for a different day) and basically is coming home when his friend does.  That could be Sunday afternoon, it could be Monday at 11pm....No one knows.  So he says, "You can come up there".  Great. I get to sit in a cottage for 8 hours watching Spongebob and Sesame Street with my son while he works.  Then I get to spend the remainder of the night watching my son while he plays cards and has fun.  Now I adore my son, but really....who wants to spend Saturday night on their bday weekend watching cartoons? I am PISSED, but basically have no choice but to go.  I either stay home, and sit in the house by myself allllllll night on Saturday, or I go and sit in someone else's house alllllllll night on Saturday.  My friend's wife and SIL will be there, and they are my friends, but there's NOTHING to do up there. Oh, and the best part??? I get to sleep in a tent in the freezing cold in the front yard.  AM I OVERREACTING?!?!?!?

Re: NWR: Should I be angry??

• edited December 2011
    I don't think that you're over reacting at all! I would be livid! Since your bday is Sat and it's a long weekend, is there any way that you guys can hang out sat day/night and head up to Maine on Sunday to Monday for roof helping? I think that is a completely fair compromise considering his buddy still gets roof help for 2 days. I personally don't think him taking off sat and not having an expectation on when he'll come home is fair-nevermind on your bday. Guys are such knuckleheads sometimes! :) let him know how you feel - good luck! Oh and Happy Birthday :)
  • edited December 2011
    Totally agree with you and pp. Not over-reacting at all. There's no reason why your FI needs to help with roofing THIS WEEKEND. And, it doesn't have anything to do with loving your son or not, you want to go out and have a good time on your birthday. Completely understandable. Tell him how much it means to you to have a night out, away from your motherly duties, with him and your friends to just hang out and have fun. Could you make the night out on Friday and then still go up to the cottage on late Saturday afternoon? He still has Sunday to help out. Perfectly good compromise, IMHO. GL and HTH.
  • sunshine1084sunshine1084 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there any chance at all that this is all an elaborate scheme to surprise you?
  • edited December 2011
    Get a sitter and go out with your girlfriends! Its your birthday go have a great time!
  • cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    holy stinkiness. I'd be pissed too. I like pp's idea of just getting a sitter and going out w/ your friends! Pretty in considerate of FI. Ask him how he'd feel if you did something like that to him on HIS b-day weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks girls! its definitely no scheme to surprise me.....FI is totally not that creative! we will prob end up out on friday night, or even sunday since its a holiday weekend.  apparently a few more people are going up there now?? i would get a sitter, but i really don't want to pay for one!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards