New York-Hudson Valley

Inviting the Priest

Good Morning Ladies!

What is the word on this?  I didn't know my Priest prior to wedding planning.  Do I invite him to the reception?  If yes- how do I deliver the invitation?  Give him one, ask him in person, hand it to him?  And then- if he does come, do I ask him to say Grace?  

I'm lost on this issue...

Thanks for your help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Inviting the Priest

• edited December 2011
    Good question! Since the Priest marrying us is my God-Father then he is invited of course but I don't know how I would handle it if there were no relationship prior - well I guess I would send him an invitation. And I do plan on mailing it like all the rest of the guests invites

And I am also invited him to the RD - he is coming from OOT to perfrom the ceremony so it's not like he has a mass or something afterwards, he will be sticking around!
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    yes, invite the priest. send him a formal inite just like he is another guest.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm curious on this one too, it was all over the Etiquette boards this weekend, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus?  Most people were leaning towards yes, invite, some said send an invite, some didn't.  I just find it odd to send an invite to a vendor?  I mean I don't plan on sending an invite to my DJ or Photographer?  Wouldn't it be uncomfortable for a vendor to be at a wedding where they didn't know a soul?  Who would you seat them with?
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inviting-priest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:d4716a38-c629-4c43-a9e9-86c46881487ePost:650c6321-d04e-437b-a601-ff77a476785e">Re: Inviting the Priest</a>:
    [QUOTE]yes, invite the priest. send him a formal inite just like he is another guest.
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. We sent both priests (the one running the parish we were married in who did all of our paperwork and the priest that performed the ceremony) formal invites. Both declined.
  • edited December 2011

For all my friends weddings, the Priest/Pastor all declined. I think mine will actually come but  because he is my God Father, as I mentioned - he came to my engagement party also

336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

The priest who will marry us is the Monsignor at the Parish, so we only have him to invite and we are planning on sending him a formal invitation. A friend of ours got married at the same church two months ago, and his mother delivered the invitation to the priest herself and we heard that he mentioned to someone that he hoped for a formal invitation. He did not go to their reception. 

We really like him and he has been nothing short of kind and understanding so I will be happy if he comes in.

• edited December 2011

i don't see why anyone would not invite the priest. i dunno, i thought it was a given honestly. all priests have always been invited to our weddings, it's just how it's done. they're kind of an important person, and i don't see the priest as just another vendor honestly, they're a little above that.

• edited December 2011

psi maybe it is different if you are religious vs not religious? to me, the officiant is another vendor, not above any other vendors i'm using, we had no relationship prior to the wedding.  maybe it's a different story if you are using a priest where you go to church and see them every sunday or whatever.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for everyone's input on this.  I hadn't even thought of it...I guess it is just one of those things that gets lost in the details.  I will invite my priest, but there is no prior relationship before the wedding plans and we are not members of this particular church.  Sounds like most seem to decline anyway. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree to invite the priest. I was thinking about that as well. I do not know the pastor who will be conducting the ceremony, but I think it would be in good taste to extend the invite since they will be participating in the actual wedding itself.

Tracey
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_inviting-priest?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:d4716a38-c629-4c43-a9e9-86c46881487ePost:cabae447-2f1b-4f14-92ee-b0c735527991">Re: Inviting the Priest</a>:
    [QUOTE]psi maybe it is different if you are religious vs not religious? to me, the officiant is another vendor, not above any other vendors i'm using, we had no relationship prior to the wedding.  maybe it's a different story if you are using a priest where you go to church and see them every sunday or whatever.
    Posted by karbar42[/QUOTE]

i'm not religious at all, in fact i'm far from it. i pretty much hate organized religion. yet i still would invite the priest and don't see them as a vendor in the traditional sense.

we are using a retired priest actually and he does non-denominational services now. to us, he is a very important part of the day, as he is the one basically allowing the wedding to happen. we had no relationship with him before, yet he is the one performing the ceremony and we at least feel that he should be able to celebrate with us the ceremony that he just performed.

plus, at least around here, it's just tradition that the priest/minister/rabbi/whoever is always invited to the reception.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not saying don't invite them, we will extend an invitation to our officiant, but I don't think sending an actual invitation is necessary.  
  • mockninemocknine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies... i don't know why i didn't think of this sooner!  I better get the invitation out to him right away!!!

here's one more question for you- do i invite him with a guest, or just him? lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards