Massachusetts-Boston

video?

How many of you did/ did not hire a videographer? Does anyone regret their choice? I initially didn't think twice about it, I assumed it was something I didn't need. Now, I'm wondering if I'll regret not having on tape? I have legit no money left in my budget, so I'm considering finding a college student or something like that. But I'm still torn as to whether or not its really worth the extra expense. I mean, I have a coworker who says it was so worth it and that she watches her wedding video on a weekly basis, but I'm fairly certain she is just nuts. 

Re: video?

• noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh, I don't think we'll watch ours on a weekly basis, but it was pretty important to both of us to have it.  The day will go by so quickly and it will be nice to see it and the people in it later on.  I figure we might watch it once a year on our anniversary.  I also look forward to when we can show our wedding video to our kids. 

So yeah, it was very important to us.  We put a higher priority on the photography, but video was close behind.  If you can afford to have someone tape it, I would do it. 

PS.  Of course, we aren't married yet, so we'll see if I still think it was worth it after the wedding.  Most brides who post say yes though.
  • edited December 2011

We used John from Wedding Stories RI, I had the same thoughts as you and we booked him 12 days before our wedding :) and it was sooooo worth it - granted we don't watch our video on a weekly basis but there was so much that we missed during the day and it just flies by that I know in the long run we'll treasure it.

I'm happy to share our video snippet if you give me your email address. GL!

Here's his website if you want to check it out: http://www.weddingstoriesri.com/

• dah424dah424 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Like you, we thought we didn't want a videographer but a few months ago I re-visited it and we booked Russell from Mavid Productions - he was very reasonable and although I haven't seen the final video yet, we are so looking forward to seeing it.  The night flies by and pictures are great but nothing will capture some of our friends' crazy dance moves (or our first dance) like a video! 

• edited December 2011
    hire one.  cut elsewhere to find the money.  the day is such a blur and goes by so quickly, that i honestly would not remember some moments without the help of the video.  1000000% worth it, in my opinion.

you can see our montage at www.fadeandfocus.com.  we're the 1st video to appear (olivia and rich).
  • edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend it- especially if you are on the fence.  When the day comes you are going in so many different directions, you miss so many things!
    I LOVE my video.  When the day is over, all you have are your pics and your video.

Also - I've seen plenty of brides post that they regret NOT having a video, I've never seen one post regretting having one.
    12/12/2009
  • edited December 2011
    I really had no desire for the video.  But it was the one thing FI really wanted.   When we met with our photographer,  he showed us some of their video departments highlight videos.  So we got the least expensive video package they had.  We'll get the 8 hours of raw footage and 3 highlight dvd's with music.  I am so glad we made that decision and our wedding hasn't even happened yet.   People I talk to that didn't get a video regret it.  If you can get a college student to do it, great.  There are so many people out there looking to build their portfolios!  Def. worth a shot!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Stepmom to: Lizzie (4); Justin (10); and Cameron (13)
    Mom to 3 angels: Baby 1 MC 2/13/09 @ 7 wks; Baby 2 CP 11/5/10 @ 5 wks;
    and Brendan - Late Loss 4/27/11 @ 20 wks

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We didnt have a big budget for a video either, we put it on the maybe list. We ended up using Rebecca Curtis Curtisweddings.com and she was awesome and afforable, cheapest we found. It was TOTALLY WORTH IT! my pictures are amazing but being able to watch peoples expressions our first dance vows ect. GL
  • edited December 2011

Definitely do it! It's so worth having your ceremony and toasts and everything on film. Photos are great, but we love watching the video...it totally captured our "spirit" and we love that we can show it to our kids someday. We used Rebecca Curtis as well, www.curtisweddings.com. She was great and really affordable. Plus if you are on a strict budget she does just raw film packages for cheap, my friend just did that since they had a wedding budget of under $10k.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with the PPs. If you can squeeze it into your budget, definitely get a videographer.  Even a friend with a camcorder recording your vows will mean so much to you later on.
  • edited December 2011
    we hired someone new to the industry, for very cheap recently, we didn't budget for one, but my grandpa is sick and can't come, so we wanted to have a video to show him.  His name is Michael Grimmet- mgrimm1918@yahoo.com
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I got married 5 years ago and I still love watching my wedding video.  My kids love watching it too now.  We had AMAZING photographers too (The Tirados), but I don't think that would make up for not having a video.

My wedding video is just under 2 hours.  Each photograph equals one second of time.  Even with 1000 photos, you are looking at just over 15 minutes of time in your whole entire wedding day.

I know several brides who regretted the decision not to get a video...almost immediately and also now, years later.  I have never known someone who got a video and said after the fact, "I wish I didn't waste my money on a video."
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was also second guessing no video, and we have been looking all week for our wedding in one month. So far all the videographers are booked! (I checked out all the ones recommended on this board iin the last 6 months, that are within our price range and samples look decent). Oh well, we may not have one afterall!
  • edited December 2011
    We got one and I'm so happy that we did.  Besides just wanting things like the ceremony and such on video, I also wanted to just have a record of things that happened since it flies by so fast.  In watching our video there are so many things that we didn't see.  Plus I also like that we have DH's grandfather (who recently passed away) on video dancing.  I know some people whose kids love watching their parents' wedding video too.  All in all, I just think it's a great thing to have.  I loved watching all the fun and good times we had on video.  Photos will pick some of that up, but not the same way as a video.  HTH!
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • edited December 2011
    We did not and haven't regretted it.  We do have some film that a relative took, and it's enough to help use remember the homily, music, and vows.  I'm satisfied with the thousand of incredible still pictures we have.
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • cdlnmfcdlnmf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank youuu!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards