Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Could I ask a photographer to please not do these things?

I found a few photographers that have work I like that are in my price range (I'd like to be under $2k, and please, if you have suggestions for me let me know! I'm still looking!)

Could I ask them to not take pictures with the camera tilted at a harsh angle? One of them more than others I'm looking at that I like does this a lot... but I love everything else! But they seem to do the tilt a lot and I really just do not care for it. 

I don't know if asking them to not do it would be taking away from their charm, I mean... them tilting the camera is very much how they work, right?

Thanks for input, and please if you have suggestions, I went through this forum for photographers (and DJs) but if you could recommend one please do! :-)

Re: Could I ask a photographer to please not do these things?

• Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will private message you with a recommendation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend Any and Seth Dodge at Dodge Imagery.  Their prices are well under your budget and their work is gorgeous!  Here's their link: http://dodgeimagery.com/

Oh and I think it's okay to ask them not to take titled pic and weird angles. I despise that look and wouldn't want any great shots wasted on a weird angle.
  • Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is totally okay. I asked mine not to do the fish bowl lens and she didn't mind that request at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i recommend john loconte from www.johnlophoto.com we used him and he is just fantastic!

we were also not a fan of the fish bowl type look and asked him not to do it. he had no problem with our request. i believe it never hurts to ask! 
  • Options
    amccarthy3amccarthy3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Megan Belanger www.meganbelangerphoto.com. She has been great to work with so far. She did our engagement photos which I loved and is very open to hearing what we like and don't like in photos. Good luck  

• Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Truthfully, if the tilted angle thing is something that the photog you are looking at does a lot, I'd probably go with someone else.  You can definitely ask them, but do you want to take a chance that 1) he forgets or 2) if he's used to doing that, his compositions might not be as good without it?  That tends to be a style thing and if that's what he's used to doing, it might be hard for him to stop doing it!

But if you love everything else he does and can't find anyone else in your price range, I'd definitely let him know.  I just know myself, I'd still be worried I'd end up with a lot of tilted photos.  And I totally agree with you, I don't get that trend!  Just makes the photos look weird to me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You've got PM.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    amylee545amylee545 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think its totally okay to ask them to not do it. But I agree with the previous message... If this photographer does it a lot, i'd go with someone else. It sounds like its his "style" of photography. You can definitely find someone else with your style in your price point.

I highly recommend my photographer. She is my favorite vendor so far. Her name is Amber Shomo with Forever Candid Photography. Her packages start at $1800 but she's so willing to work with you to form a package to fit your budget. I'm paying $1500 for 5 hours of coverage, 2 photographers, engagement session, and a CD with all images. She travels too. She's based out of Salem, but my wedding is in Falmouth on the cape and she's traveling to my wedding for no fee!

Goodluck!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Every photographer has their own style - and when flipping through their sample books point out what you dont like! 

My favorite wedding photographer is Lead Haydock.  SHE IS SIMPLY AMAZING!!! and soo nice to work with.
    http://www.leahhaydock.com/

P.S.
    If you're still collecting quotes for your wedding flowers, please consider us!
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/le-fleur-vogue-boston/b12bea87eb9f5c30.html

Warm regards,

Le Fleur Vogue

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Which photographers did you find that you like? I could give you some better suggestions based on what you have already found...

I agree with some of the girls who already said that asking them to change something about their style can be risky. It would be better to find someone that you can love everything about as well as afford- it's not like there is a shortage of photographers in this area!
  • Options
    looplaloopla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!
    I have another question actually-- what about which photographers give you all rights to your photos? 
    I would not be ok with the wedding photos being printed or on the web and us having no say...
    (I see one for that JohnLo photographer, the release, is that when they only do something with them if it's ok with you? That would be fine!)

Another thing I wanted to ask too is how was their shooting style in person-- like were they QUICK and out of the way?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you are going to be paying $$ for a photographer, then you should be able to tell them what shots you want and don't want.

With that in mind, check out www.Shangchenphoto.com

i just booked her for my wedding and we are in the process of planning our e-shoot.  she open to suggestions on what shots you want and will do what you want since its your day and you should get the pics you want and pay for!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's perfectly okay to ask a photographer to not do something.  It's your day and you are paying for their service.  They should be willing to take the pictures the way that you want them.  I would ask them before deciding on definitely using them and let them know what you're expectations are.  This will be my second wedding and the first time I got married the photographer I used had me come up with a list of things i wanted but also things I didn't want.  I think you should be able to ask for what you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards