Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Registering: Macy's and BB&B

We are looking to register at Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond this weekend. I know certain locations are better to register than others. Any recommendations for either one of these stores? We live in Stoneham, but can travel wherever.

Re: Registering: Macy's and BB&B

• Options
    edited December 2011
    we registered at the bed bath and beyond in burlington and the women there were AMAZING. They spent three hours with us going over everything and helped us think of stuff we would have totally forgotten. We wanted china and the registry lady set up a mock table for us and helped us see what our "fancy" table would look like and then set up our every day set with napkins and silverware etc to see that set too.

it was awesome!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    BostonGirl82BostonGirl82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Starmusica! That would work perfectly for us since it is so close to our apartment. Did you have to make an appointment?
  • Options
    ebigelowebigelow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered at the Macy's in Burlington and they have most things but we didn't really find the people there that helpful...they were much better at the south shore macy's but I'm guessing that's probably out of the way for you...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we didn't! We just showed up! I wish I remember the name of the woman who worked with us. She was adorable.

we also registered at crate and barrel and they SUCKED. They handed us the gun and sent us on our way

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh, that's funny.  We also registered at the BBB in Burlington. I do feel they have the best selection (I've heard they are one of the biggest around and they have ALL the china).  However, they were SO annoying while we were registering!  We don't need a lot, so we wanted to wander on our own, but she kept bugging us and telling us we HAVE to have a gravy boat, or 5 kinds of glassware, etc etc.  We didn't want all that stuff and we'd rather just do it on our own.  She sort of followed us around the store and we felt like we couldn't make decisions we wanted while she was trying to force us to add stuff we didn't want.  I ended up going back online and deleting all this stuff she pressured us into adding.

I actually loved C&B because they left us alone.

We looked at both the Macy's in Burlington and at the Northshore Mall.  I definitely prefer the Northshore Mall.  Same stuff, but the department is just set up in a better way.  It seemed easier to look at things there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Noodle - My sentiments EXACTLY!  I loved registering at C&B - they took us on a quick tour of the store so we knew where everything was, then left us alone to make decisions on our own.  They checked in with us periodically to see if we had any questions, but other than that left us to do our thing.  We've also lived together for 6 years, so we don't need many of the things that most "newlyweds" need.  BBB was a NIGHTMARE!  The lady would not leave our side and kept trying to upsell everything.  Like we were looking at bath towels and she wanted us to register for this brand that was $30 per towel... whether I am paying or not, I think that is just nuts for a towel!  Next onto pillows where she told us we would get sick of the $25 pillows that we picked up and she had us register for the $60 brand.  Half way through we just started adding whatever just to shut her up!  We then went home and edited the registry immediately and plan to go back in a week or two and just ask for the gun.  I do agree with Star that they were very helpful in picking out the China and actually pulling different settings together so you could see how it would all look.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ha!  That's exactly what we did!  We just started adding what she told us to I deleted them all later.  She tried to tell us we need like a billion sets of towels and sheets (highest thread count, most expensive ones of course!).  She kind of looked at me like I was crazy when I would tell we don't need stuff and we're having a small wedding, so we didn't want our registry to be excessive.  Kept telling us our family WANTS to buy it for us.  Yeah, like she knows our family better than we do...

Don't get me wrong, she was very nice, but it was annoying and actually really bothered FI.  Kind of took the fun out of it for us.

We did one of the C&B registry events and we enjoyed that!  Especially the free food!  Macy's does those too, but there weren't any going on around when we registered.

• Options
    edited December 2011

So we registered at both Macy's, BBB and CB. We registered at Macy's in Burlington and it all depends on when you go. When we first registered the woman we had was awesome and showed us everything and then let us go on our own and continue to check up on us. However we just went to change somethings and we waited for longer than the updating took us and nobody was helpful at all, we also went on a Saturday in the middle of the day. Make sure to go at a time when its not busy.

As for BBB we went to the one is Saugus which was good and bad. It was good because it is not as crazy as the Burlington one but it doesn't have near the amount of stuff the Burlington one does. I agree that I didn't like the lady standing over us throughout the process, however by the end we ended up liking her because she was helpful with everyday life stuff that we have no clue about. Like towels she showed us the most expensive ones and then compared them to the least but then continued to say that although the expensive ones are nice they take up a lot of room in the washer and dryer and do you want or have time to be doing a multiple loads of wash just because of towels...stuff we wouldn't have thought of. We would have just felt them and went by that.

As for CB, we mainly went there because we wanted to be able to get certain glassware in specific amounts that Macys and BBB doesn't offer. So we went during a promotional time where they opened the store early on Sunday mornings for just couples to register....we got mamosas and a gift too. It was very nice and people were there at every section to explain different things (like knives) as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah, for timing, I'd recommend going on like a Tuesday or Wednesday after work (or daytime on weekdays if you can).  That's the least busy time.  Weekends are insane and it is very hard to register when the store is so busy.

I've been to the BBB in Saugus.  It is a nice store, but they do NOT have any fine china if you want to look at that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Macy's in Natick, and it was great - we got our own consultant person and she was very helpful - but then they just gave us the little scanner and completely left us alone. We liked Macy's because they always have crazy big sales so our registry items were continually discounted, which I liked (some of my family members lost their jobs last year) and I wanted a lot of Martha Stewart stuff and they were the only store that had it.

Now we're about to buy a house, and I'm at Crate & Barrel at least once a week - I'm obsessed - so you can't go wrong registering there. In the end, I just opted for Macy's because they had the same stuff we wanted at C&B, but Macy's had better prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards