Massachusetts-Boston
Options

What is it about weddings....

that makes people neurotic?

Case in point...my sister has been super neurotic since we've begun our planning, even though she is recently married herself.  Lately she is on this kick where my wedding can, in no way, resemble hers.  For example I hinted around that we were looking into ivory linens and uplighting for our cocktail hour and she nearly pitched a fit.  Apparently crushed ivory linens and uplighting were her thing - not to be copied.  Too bad ivory linens and uplights are available everywhere!  And I'm supposed to choose some other accent color besides fuschias & pink, so no one will immediately think back to her wedding (we have a lot of the same guests in common). 
I'm wondering if I really should change the color scheme just to keep the peace (our original colors were ivory, celadon green, and pink accents)?  I am certain that the guests have long forgotten her wedding and that no one will think the two events mimic one another.  Still - it's not worth strating WW3 over all of this nonsense.
"If I were your wedding, I'd be sleeping with one eye open... " - Bride Wars

Re: What is it about weddings....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, that's hard! Esp since you guys are sisters...
    I think the best thing to do is not throw out the pinks altogether, just don't use the colors the same way she did. For instance, try not to use her same pink flowers or the same pink in her centerpieces etc. That way, pink will still be there, but in different ways. If she had all pink flowers for centerpieces, and her bouqet, try to mix it up a bit and use different shades she did and different flowers.
    Millions of weddings have these similar colors-- it's just a matter of how you use them. As long as you don't use the EXACT same flowers and the EXACT same centerpieces and decorations, you should be fine.
    Good luck...
  • Options
    BostonGirl82BostonGirl82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree, I don't know what it is about weddings that brings out the worst in people. Some people surprise you too.

I agree with the PP- there are so many people who use the same color schemes, just apply it in a different way. By the way, I love your color scheme! Do not change it on the account of her. I am sure you are making it your own wedding and it will be very different.
  • Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Her wedding is over. Do what you want, it is YOUR wedding! Personlly, I would not want my wedding to look like my sisters, but if you don't care then go ahead and do the same thing. Like PP, there are plently of ways to make it look different, even with similar colors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have 3 daughters.  First wedding was in June of 2007... second one in November of 2008, third this coming June.  3 years after first wedding.  Her colors are basically the same as the first June wedding.  But flip flopped.  bridesmaids dresses for the  June 07 wedding were pink with a light sage being accent color.  This June's wedding, the b/m's dresses are light sage with pink being the accent color.  The centerpieces will pretty much be the same colors but with bright pink gerber daisys included.  But, I highly doubt the people who were in attendance for the first wedding will remember that.  I guess my point is, people aren't going to remember the centerpieces or the lines from one wedding to the next.  Go with what you love.  Your sister had her day, now it's your turn!  Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tell your sister to grow up.  Ivory linens and uplighting are very pretty, but certainly not unique anymore.  It's like telling you to not have cake for dessert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your situation -- wedding planning can certainly bring out the immature in people.  Why does it matter if those kinds of minor details are in your wedding as well?  I don't know if I could remember a single one of those details from any of the past weddings I've been to, and I doubt any of the guests will think twice about it.  Either way, her wedding is over with and it was first, so as long as you don't mind, I don't see why she would.  It's not like you two were planning together and you stole her idea before she could use it.

Imitation is the more sincere form of flattery, you know.  ;-)  Maybe she's afraid you'll do it better?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards