New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Grandparents

I'm curious to know how people honored/will be honoring their grandparents during the ceremony and/or reception.

I want to find a way to honor my grandparents without necessarily having them walk down the aisle. So I'm wondering what you did/will be doing?

My dilemma is that while I'm lucky to still have both sets of grandparents at nearly 30 years old, I am EXTREMELY close to my maternal grandparents but not my paternal grandparents (they have alwayas been pretty nonexistent in my life, except for when I see them and they put on this act like we're really close). Anyway, I want to give my mom's parents some type of honor, but not my dad's. I want to do it in a tasteful way without rubbing in my dad's parents faces that they don't deserve the honor.... although they don't. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I also don't want to give both sets of grandparnets the same honor when one deserves it and the other doesn't.
Out of respect I'm giving all the grandma's a corsage and all the grandpa's a bout., but that's all I want to do for my dad's parents.

So now that everyone knows my family drama (lol), feel free to let me know if you have any ideas. I've been thinking about this for 5 months but haven't thought of any viable option....
Thanks so much!!!

Re: Grandparents

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Could they be the ones to sign your marriage license? We are doing that with my future SIL and her husband to incorporate them into the day, since we had too many people in the wedding party already.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... possibly.
    I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks Kris!
    Here's a stupid question.. when does the marriage license get signed? When you pick it up or the day of the wedding? I seriously have no clue, although I'm guessing the day of the wedding. :)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

The day of....the officiant and two witnesses sign it to make official (well once it gets mailed and sent back it is official).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ours was signed by our witnesses at the rehearsal. The priest signed and dated it after the ceremony.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I listed my grandmother in the program as part of the wedding party, but she did not "walk down the aisle".  If it is a religious ceremony can they do a reading or bring up gifts or partake in some similar way ? We had aunts, a close friend and a cousin who were not in the WP do these.

FYI-We all signed our license the day before at the wedding rehearsal.

HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not want to do a bouquet toss because (IMO) I think its kind of cheesy. Instead, at my reception, I gave my grandmother my bouquet in front of everyone. It was a really nice moment. We had our florist give us two tossign bouquets so we could give one to my husband's grandma as well
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks everyone! Our ceremony will not be a religious one, but we are thinking of having  some readings, so I could have my grandparents do that! perfect!
    sjsphish - I complete agree with you. We are not doing a bouquet toss, garter toss, or any of the traditional cheesy wedding stuff! I was actually thinking of presenting my bouquet to my sister, but I like your idea... I could present it to my grandma.

All great ideas everyone! Thanks so much. It's such a sticky situation, and while I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I also want to make sure it's known how special my maternal grandparents are to me.
    Thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having it part of our ceremony. Our minister is going to give a little speach saying how we hope that we are able to love each other as long as they have....stuff like that..
    Just Married Photo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards