Massachusetts-Boston

Bridal Salons in Boston Area- PS

Hello! I am a RHode Island Knottie- but wanted to venture over to the Boston board.

I am looking for any Boston Bridal salons that have a large selection of designer gowns.
With Priscilla of Boston closing, I am unsure where to go.

My budget is probably around $2500 so I am notlooking for anything like Vera Wang- but perhaps some stuff like Justin Alexander, Provonias, etc.
I am having a hard time finding something that is fashion forward and also PS in my area.

Does anyone know of any larger shops in the boston area that also carry a selection of Plus dresses--beyond Mon Cheri ...
ThankS!
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: Bridal Salons in Boston Area- PS

• edited December 2011

I think VOWS in Watertown only carries sample sizes, but they carry Pronovias regularly so I think you could order it larger if needed.

I think Madeleine's Daughter (spelling?) in New Hampshire has a wide selection of plus size, maybe google that?

PS-- one of my plus size friends suggested going to a place like David's just to get an idea of what shapes look good on you before going to the 'real' place you want to get the dress from. Just an idea!

We're married! And we're ready to sell! http://nauticalwedding.weebly.com/index.html
    Anniversary
  • RIFallBrideRIFallBride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried the shop in North Providence that carries many PS gowns (http://www.botticelliri.com/)? I'm not sure what designers they carry.  I have several friends that have raved about the service and loved their gowns!
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    I went to Botticelli actually, but she didn't have the type of gowns I am looking for. A lot of them were typical "plus size" gowns. Ie lacey stapes, sleeves, or really plain a lines. She ddin't have a ton of selection. She is expanding her selection- which is great news, to carry other dresses. However, they won't be in until March and that will be too late for me.

I am going to check out Madelines Daughter.

I just was hoping to find a larger place with a  lot of selection- closer than going to NY! but i am not sure since POB is gone, if there are places similar.
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_bridal-salons-boston-area-ps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:d6b03f9e-ca24-4042-a5a1-1a674f2f084bPost:0c5a640d-1988-40e1-bd5d-de8791f4add0">Re: Bridal Salons in Boston Area- PS</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think VOWS in Watertown only carries sample sizes, but they carry Pronovias regularly so I think you could order it larger if needed. I think Madeleine's Daughter (spelling?) in New Hampshire has a wide selection of plus size, maybe google that? PS-- one of my plus size friends suggested going to a place like <strong>David's just to get an idea of what shapes look good on you before going to the 'real' place you want to get the</strong> dress from. Just an idea!
    Posted by kmac821[/QUOTE]

ooh and this is a really good idea. i did this as well, it helps narrow down the shape you want so that you can go into a store better educated on what looks good, and not waste time. I suggest this for ALL brides not just PS actually.
    edited December 2011
    Darn about Botticeli!  I have always heard great things about Madeline's Daughter hopefully you will have luck there.  I totally agree on every bride going to DB, I did not enjoy the environment but it was easy to try on tons of shapes to assess what I liked best. 

My dress is Justin Alexander and I got it at Alexandra's in Fall River, they have an extensive selection of designers however I'm not sure what sizes they carry for samples.  Maybe try calling them if you haven't already?
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_bridal-salons-boston-area-ps?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:d6b03f9e-ca24-4042-a5a1-1a674f2f084bPost:d8280803-aebf-4835-9aa3-227f02b903b3">Re: Bridal Salons in Boston Area- PS</a>:
    [QUOTE]Darn about Botticeli!  I have always heard great things about Madeline's Daughter hopefully you will have luck there.  I totally agree on every bride going to DB, I did not enjoy the environment but it was easy to try on tons of shapes to assess what I liked best.  My dress is Justin Alexander and I got it at Alexandra's in Fall River, they have an extensive selection of designers however I'm not sure what sizes they carry for samples.  Maybe try calling them if you haven't already?
    Posted by RIFallBride[/QUOTE]

thanks! I tried alexandrias before actually. they didint have a ton of PS samples, and just made me "hold up" some dresses. Unfortuntaely i love a Justin Alexander from Ana's Its a size 14 sample, which i could usually get on, but this one is soo structured its too small. I am going to Helenes tonight- and if i cant find anything probably going to call madelines daughter or also Bella Sera that someone told me about.

Its too bad about botcellli she has mostly Mon Cheri and Maggie Sottero because they make PS samples. There wasnt anything there i loved really. She is getting a lot more in in the spring and some neew lines like David Tutteros line -etc.

I just wish that bridal salons had a bigger selection. I feel so huge when i dnt fit itno a size 8 sample,which is really a 6, its totally disheartening. Even at my thinnest i was a size 8 so even that would have been a tight fit!
    edited December 2011
    Don't let it get you down!  It is crazy to me that the hunt for PS samples is so difficult and I feel awful that the process hasn't been 'fun.'  Just know that you will find that magical gown that makes you feel beautiful! 

Can any of the shops request the PS samples for a small fee?  You could try calling the designer lines directly to see if they have any suggestions in the area.  Just a thought since you found one you loved!  GL!
  • luvred12luvred12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not shopping for my gown until after the holidays, however I have called around bridal shops to see the sizes (in particular, larger sizes) to try on. I am be between 12-16, but there is no way I plan on trying to squeeze into a dress. My sisters told to me try Davids also for style. I am not trying to say 12 or 16 is larger, just that my sister said the dresses are smaller than what you normally wear, so to be prepared. One shop I called Wishing Well in Providence, I think, told me they had alot of gowns from size 12-26, They are one shop I will be seeing after the holidays along with Davids in Attleboro. Also, I plan on wearing spanx when I try on. HTH and good luck 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards